996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

new to forum - NYC - manhattan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 03:56 AM
hedgie is infamous around these parts
new to forum - NYC - manhattan-c4s

want to relay my appreciation to the breadth of commentary about Porsches on this site! - was useful in helping me make the right decision - eg. C4S vs M3 - no regrets.. bot the 2004 C4S full load (mostly) - best option was PSE - was told by dealership not to worry about the "break-in" given these machines have already been through prelim testing, so I'm working the engine moderately.. (stop and go is not that fun in the city anyways!) - thinking of adding some cosmetic mods - looking for RUF wheels - any good sites to refer me to would be helpful! also, any ideas on good parking lots around 51st and 5th ave would be helpful.. not looking to pay more than $500/month.. any ideas??

Last edited by hedgie; 03-23-2004 at 04:47 AM.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:16 AM
BiggerTwin is infamous around these parts
How do you find the suspension in Manhattan? While I am leaning toward the C4S, I wonder if the more compliant suspension in the C2 might be more user friendly on the FDR. My M3 wasn't bad in Manhattan but I bottomed out the Z4 a few times last summer.

Alan

Old 03-23-2004, 10:21 AM
dac911 is infamous around these parts
hi hedgie,

welcome to the board. I'm in downtown new york (23/broadway). Yeah one thing I hate about Manhattan is that most parking lots are valet parking. I hate to give my car away to some guy and return to find the car dirty inside. It was a rip off also at $400 a month.

I decided to park in a lot at 23rd/FDR. Its only $225. Right now they put me on a roof spot but they are looking to move me indoors. It's around 15-20 minute walk for me from my apartment but I don't get to use the car very often in the city so its ok.

5th avenue is always the most expensive in terms of parking. If you move towards the rivers it will always be cheaper. Good luck searching.

--------------

Alan - I have a c2 with 18" turbo twist wheels. The suspension is completely fine and I never bottomed out. Never drove a c4s before though.

Old 03-23-2004, 11:05 AM
JASCLASS is infamous around these partsJASCLASS is infamous around these parts
Welcome to the board.

Old 03-23-2004, 12:03 PM
good points

1) suspension in manhattan: i dont have much to compare given this is my first car in manhattan.. but so far have not bottomed out - i do spend most of my time dodging them rather than looking up front (ie. i'm find myself dangerously swerving into other lanes if i spot any large pot-holes) - driving in the city is not fun - only upside are the doormen in front of restaurants, night-clubs give me preferential parking usually in front of their place! haha

2) parking is a real ripp-off in manhattan - they typically include a 20% premium surcharge over the $400 rate because its a luxury car - but i guess if you can afford to pay +$100k for a car, a parking budget of $6k/year should be feasible!! but thanks for the insight about parking prices near the rivers.. but still an unanswered question - if any of you know of a trustworthy and relatively cheaper parking lot in the 51st and 5th area, i would be anxious to know.

Old 03-23-2004, 12:59 PM
hedgie,

The roads get better in the spring but you can still find wheel breaking ruts and sunken man hole covers over the summer. I don't think you will find anything cheap midtown. My grandparents used to live at 50 Sutton Place South and the garage entrance is on 53rd Street. It was one of the few garages I would trust to let an attendant park my car but I haven't been there in years.

I was fairly impressed with the garage at the Lowe’s New York Hotel (corner of 51st and Lex with garage entrance mid block between 3rd across from the Police Station [i.e., safe]. I think the hotel has a new name but don’t know what the rates are.)

Alan

Last edited by BiggerTwin; 03-23-2004 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:05 PM
yeah, its definitely not fun driving in the city. It's so pointless especially with the traffic and lack of parking. My 6 speed doesnt help it either. But yeah once you get out on the open road then you start forgetting about it!

i guess you have to walk the neighborhood and see what kind of deals you find. I have seen a parking lot that offers self parking at 50th and 9th avenue. I know its 4 avenues away but personally I think its definitely worth it to park it yourself. You don't want valets messing with your car.

Old 03-23-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by dac911
I think its definitely worth it to park it yourself. You don't want valets messing with your car.
On a short term parking I absolutely agree. However, for a car that will sit for days at a time, having an attendant definitely reduces theft and vandalism. Although, my friend’s Jag and a bunch of other cars had their radios stolen from his apartment garage on 33rd St.

Alan

Old 03-23-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by BiggerTwin
On a short term parking I absolutely agree. However, for a car that will sit for days at a time, having an attendant definitely reduces theft and vandalism. Although, my friend’s Jag and a bunch of other cars had their radios stolen from his apartment garage on 33rd St.

Alan

thats true. i am a bit worried about theft/vandalism. I posted on
another thread about this and perhaps i can find some help.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...&threadid=8024

The place I park is basically a car park that has an attendent at the gate but I'm not sure if there is really anyone that walks the lot to check. I park at the roof floor (7th) so hopefully that helps. But I mean strangers can walk into the carpark... who knows.

Anyways, the place at 50/9th is a valet parking lot in an apartment building. but offers self parking so he might be able to try that. I guess its best of both worlds.

Old 03-23-2004, 01:26 PM
for the manhattan porsche owners

i found a great car wash (actually they do a great handwash) located on 47th street and west side highway.. ask for Juan - he does a great job - cost is $25 + tip ($10-$20) depending on your mood!

Old 03-23-2004, 01:30 PM
01 C4 Cab NYC is infamous around these parts
Go to several garages near by and talk to the managers. The attendent does not have authority to do anything, ask about a park it yourself setup.
I live downtown (Greenwich Vill.) so I park at Pier 40. $233/mo, I park it myself, and the attendents are required to continually monitor the gargage (they actually have to enter some code in each corner of the garage once an hour, to ensure that they are actually doing their job)
Regardless of what you do, there is a NYC Resident Parking Tax Exemption form, avail at the DMV website. Make sure you fill one of those out once you pick a place...saves like 10-12%.

Old 03-23-2004, 01:55 PM
Re: for the manhattan porsche owners

Originally posted by hedgie
i found a great car wash (actually they do a great handwash) located on 47th street and west side highway.. ask for Juan - he does a great job - cost is $25 + tip ($10-$20) depending on your mood!
25 for the wash + 20 bucks tip = $45 buck carwash!
wow you tip a lot!!

Old 03-23-2004, 03:33 PM
thanks for the parking tips

most convenient spot i could find was $500/month around 54th and Mad - they will not let me park it myself.. damn - but thanks to all of you for your feedback - now where can i get these RUF wheels?? looking at upgrading to 19s - yeah yeah, i expect them not to last long hitting those potholes in the city, but i have seen them on the road and they look hot!

Old 03-23-2004, 06:07 PM
AdamB is infamous around these parts
I would not put 19's on your car in NYC and expect them to last more than 2 months with valets parking your car. They will get bumped into and the valets won't go slow through or around bumps. Instead they'll drive the hell outta your car for the few minutes that they drive it each time you come around.

P.S. the garage at 50th and 9th is gone, it was demolished about 9 months or so ago. It was without a doubt a very popular garage for people with expensive cars and a great self parker, but its now gone.

There is a self park garage at Chelsea Piers, one at 42nd and 9th or 10th. Its an Edison ParkFast Garage that is near the Lincoln Tunnel exit into NYC from NJ. There's a good cheap self park garage at 134th and Riverside. Yes the neighborhood isn't great but the garage can be directly accessed from Riverside without entrance into the neighborhood. Its $180 a month and some of the spaces are isolated in a situation where you can't be hit in any way. (Its also 24/7). There is a self park at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. That is probably the best one for someone in the 50's and 5th Avenue.

Old 03-23-2004, 06:44 PM
wow.. awesome info on selfpark.. thanks.
Damn I just got called and was offered a job in DC. Wondering if I should take it. I love NYC.

Hmm i must be talking about a different apartment building at/around 50/9 because i was just there at 2 weeks ago.

I agree with you though about valets driving the hell out of your car. Its disgusting how they keep revving the engine in the carpark for no reason. I guess its cool for them to hear it. Also, I found food remains in my car before, so i am definitely saying no to valet parking from now on.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: new to forum - NYC - manhattan