996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Mixing tire mfg on a C4S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 06:17 PM
dhrecon is infamous around these parts
Mixing tire mfg on a C4S?

Hey guys,
I got a tire question. Has anyone ever had problems with mixing tire manufactures with the front and rear? WHat is happening is that the traction control is kicking on a moderate sweeping turn??? I dont even push it hard.

I have stock Continentals on the front tires, and replaced the rear tires with Kumhos. (i know, i know, but i wanted some value priced tires that i could beat up on. ) The rear tires match the width and aspect ratio exactly (295/40 18).

Here is the million dollar question:
A.) Do i buy the same cheap Kumhos for the front, and hope the traction control settles down because they are now the same tread, compound, etc.?

B.) Or do i belly up and spend $700 for rear Continental tires?

Any help is always appreciated fellas! P-cars rock!!!! (when they work right)

Old 04-18-2007, 06:35 PM
Mitchell Sack is infamous around these parts
do not mix. handling characteristics are different from manufacturer to manufacturer. there is always a chance that 2 different types of tires would be ok, but i wouldnt chance it.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:37 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dhrecon

B.) Or do i belly up and spend $700 for rear Continental tires?

Any help is always appreciated fellas! P-cars rock!!!! (when they work right)
And when they have the right tires on.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:00 PM
PeterK is infamous around these parts
I bet your original (front) tires are just too worn/hard.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:21 AM
WARDHOG is infamous around these parts
Trash the Connies and especially the Kumhos. Roll with Yokohama AVS Sports if you are looking for a cheap very good handling tire. I've had all three on before and found that the Yokos are the best bang for the buck so far

Old 04-19-2007, 10:23 AM
JAY@BRANDYWINE is infamous around these parts
The factory recommends only N-spec tires from one of only a handful of manufactures such as Pirelli, conti, and michelin, these N-rating should all be the same on all 4 tires, Porsche recomends that the N-ratings all be the same, the N-spec tires are made specificly for Porsche by these manufactures. i hope this helps.

Cheers

Old 04-20-2007, 07:02 AM
potxoli is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JAY@BRANDYWINE
The factory recommends only N-spec tires from one of only a handful of manufactures such as Pirelli, conti, and michelin, these N-rating should all be the same on all 4 tires, Porsche recomends that the N-ratings all be the same, the N-spec tires are made specificly for Porsche by these manufactures. i hope this helps.

Cheers
FWIW, I switched from N rated Conti Sport contact 2's to non-N rated Bridgestone RE050 pole position on my c4s. The RE050's are SO much better, the grip is much higher than the conti's even when they were new. They are newer technology. Tire compounds do change and I think a non-N newly introduced tire will be better than an N tire that is 4-5 years old in terms of tire technology.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:46 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Don't mix on these cars.

Ever.

Differences in handling can be subtle or profound, especially at the limit. Unfortunately you don't know which until usually the back end of the car is trading spots with the front. There's nothing wrong with Kumho's if you are taking it easy on the car. If you are 30, you probably aren't (broad generalization, but experience tells me I'm probably right). Buy the Bridgestone RE050A Pole Position for all four corners and maximize the handling benefits of the car.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 04-20-2007, 08:47 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by WARDHOG
Trash the Connies and especially the Kumhos. Roll with Yokohama AVS Sports if you are looking for a cheap very good handling tire. I've had all three on before and found that the Yokos are the best bang for the buck so far
The Bridgestone RE050A Pole Positions are cheaper and better than the Yokohamas, especially in the rain.

Or use this link:
Old 04-20-2007, 09:14 AM
JAY@BRANDYWINE is infamous around these parts
Porsche recomends these n-spec tires, i agree with you that they may not be the best tires on the market, i personally love the michelin PS2's, i really do not like the conti's or pirelli's, being an employee of Porsche i just like to inform my fellow 6-speeders of Porsche's recomendations, policies, and proceedures. thanks guys

Old 04-20-2007, 10:56 AM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by damon@tirerack
The Bridgestone RE050A Pole Positions are cheaper and better than the Yokohamas, especially in the rain.
i have the RE050 variations on my 2003 S55.. i don't like them... the grip is good, but on the stock OEM 18 wheels, i've had over 4 fail on me (bubbles in the side walls). i don't think those tires are made to well epeically near the sidewall.

Old 04-20-2007, 11:09 AM
icemann633 is infamous around these parts
I had the continentals on my car and I always hated them...

I blew out a rear tire and instead of just getting rear Conti's since the fronts were OK, I scraped them all and put on 4 new PS2's...

I now HATE the Conti's even more!!

The conti's tramlined and were noiser and way less grip. They didn't handle in the wet like the PS2s do either.

I rarely chirped the tires int he Conti's and the first hard shift in the PS2s but out a screach.

I know the PS2s are expensive, and I have always used B-stones b/c of the US GP, but so far I have nothing to complain about with the PS2s

Old 04-20-2007, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by angldrkns9
i have the RE050 variations on my 2003 S55.. i don't like them... the grip is good, but on the stock OEM 18 wheels, i've had over 4 fail on me (bubbles in the side walls). i don't think those tires are made to well epeically near the sidewall.
You have to be careful which ones you are talking about here, because Bridgestone presently has on the market the:

RE050,

RE050A

and....

RE050A Pole Position.

All three are different tires, and the Pole Position is the best, most advanced of the three. They have begun to discontinue some of the older ones in favor of the PP and in time it will be the only one availabe. For now the selection is a bit muddied because they still have to be able to supply replacements.

Or use this link:
Old 04-20-2007, 02:01 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
Not a good idea to mix tires on ANY automobile let alone a high hp auto.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:28 PM
joekimdds is infamous around these parts
has anyone looked into toyo proxes 2?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mixing tire mfg on a C4S?