996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

headlight cover / eyelid

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 10:59 PM
waydeki is infamous around these parts
headlight cover / eyelid

my car came with these Strosek headlight covers. does anyone know if they can be removed without damaging the headlight?

i will ship them to anyone who wants them if i can get them off.

Attached Images  
Old 04-21-2007, 11:26 PM
Banned
Eric is infamous around these parts
yaaaa for getting rid of them!

Can you see if they were double sided taped on there, or glued?

E

Old 04-21-2007, 11:32 PM
1999 C4 Cab 6 Speed
my996 is infamous around these parts
If it was taped or glued, use a hairdryer to heat them up a bit and use dental floss to work them off. I did that with some emblems on another car and it worked great. Good luck

Old 04-21-2007, 11:50 PM
i'm fairly certain that it's bonding cement (according to strosek rep, fred opert). thanks for the hair dryer idea. i bought the car sort of sight unseen (save your criticism, it's acutally a good car), so i was irritated when i saw the pontiac-esque headlight covers. fred opert claims that his glue is permanent. so i'm wondering if anyone has specific experience with strosek headlight covers. it's a stretch, but i figured before i deface my 996...

assuming the heat gun/hair dryer softens up the glue, would a razor blade remove the glue residue without harming the headlight lenses?

Old 04-22-2007, 10:21 PM
PTarga is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by waydeki
i'm fairly certain that it's bonding cement (according to strosek rep, fred opert). thanks for the hair dryer idea. i bought the car sort of sight unseen (save your criticism, it's acutally a good car), so i was irritated when i saw the pontiac-esque headlight covers. fred opert claims that his glue is permanent. so i'm wondering if anyone has specific experience with strosek headlight covers. it's a stretch, but i figured before i deface my 996...

assuming the heat gun/hair dryer softens up the glue, would a razor blade remove the glue residue without harming the headlight lenses?
Coming from someone who usually makes things worse when trying to make them better, I would leave them on. Even if you were to remove them, you will have a ring of residue or scratches left on the lights.

Old 04-22-2007, 10:26 PM
porschenut911 is infamous around these parts
There should be away to remove it but then you probably need to polish your headlights which you can do with an orbital buffer and some chemicals. Try posting this on renntech, they may be able to help you too.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:10 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by porschenut911
There should be away to remove it but then you probably need to polish your headlights which you can do with an orbital buffer and some chemicals. Try posting this on renntech, they may be able to help you too.
I didnt think you could polish the headlights...there is a coating on them, and if you strip the coating it turns yellow....I think someone did this and had to replace the lights....I recall reading this, so make sure you can polish the lights....

Old 04-23-2007, 10:35 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
soak it in rubbing alcohol for like 10min...not the whole lights just enough to submerge the cover...see if this softens it up. Should not harm plastic but will soften up the glue underneath.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:15 AM
Kato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really nice
Put them up for trade (the whole assembly!)... Maybe someone wants them and will swap with you for a clean set...

Old 04-24-2007, 04:51 PM
porschenut911 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Kato
Put them up for trade (the whole assembly!)... Maybe someone wants them and will swap with you for a clean set...
That's probably your best option!

Old 04-27-2007, 02:13 PM
CosmosC4S is a jewel in the roughCosmosC4S is a jewel in the roughCosmosC4S is a jewel in the roughCosmosC4S is a jewel in the rough
That would be an excuse to upgrade to Litronics!

Old 04-27-2007, 08:22 PM
already got litronics and washers. that's why i don't want to trash the lenses.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:58 PM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Kato
That's the only reply I can second.....

Good Call...

-Eli

Old 06-09-2009, 11:08 AM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
I thought it looked good! I wish I saw this thread two years ago when you were getting rid of them!

Old 06-09-2009, 05:27 PM
sg993 is infamous around these parts
To remove the cover, you'll need to use rafia strings.
I learn this from a signboard maker & done it on my car.
I can email some pic & show you how to do it step by step.
It will not damage or scratch your lens.

Last edited by sg993; 06-17-2009 at 12:04 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: headlight cover / eyelid