996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Porsche certified 996 C4S was repainted!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 02:47 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Yes...like I said....check for repairs...not paint....I traded a Boxster in and THEY DID NOT check for paint thickness...ad this was a Porsche dealer....or maybe they did and didnt tell me.

Old 04-27-2007, 02:47 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
not sure what the uproar is about... the onus is on you to make sure the car you're buying is what you're wanting to get

Old 04-27-2007, 03:25 PM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
cpo means jack.
that's all i am gonna say.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:57 PM
kem
kem is infamous around these parts
Respray could mean anything, check for accidents. If a car was repainted due to a chip or scratch it shouldn't matter to anyone if the paint shop did a good job.

Old 04-27-2007, 07:23 PM
CSD952 is infamous around these parts
3 months ago, I had a Porsche Dealer try to sell me a CPO car that I found had a CARFAX report of an accident with "moderate" front end damage. He did not disclose this fact. A different local dealer told me he will not CPO a car with ANY paint work, so they seem to have latitude in what they can or will certify. As usual the burden is on the purchaser.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:36 PM
Dev911 is just really niceDev911 is just really niceDev911 is just really niceDev911 is just really nice
I'm in the same boat and reading this, I'm fuming! I bought my CPO'd 99 3 years ago and last week brought it by a body shop to have a ding rubbed out. The ding came out perfectly, but as he walked around the car he was pointing out, how, this door was repainted, the back quarters were repainted, the other door was repainted, and the nose. He pointed out ungoddly overspray on the rocker panels, so damn noticeable now he pointed it out. There is a speck of paint on the window rubber, they didn't even take the rubber off, they just masked it. This car was repainted POORLY, but my problem is it's been 3 years and i'm not sure if they wont just say, well, you had it painted. Like I'm trying to pull a fast one on them. I'm going to give it a try, I've got a real bad taste in my mouth now.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:41 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Dev911
I'm in the same boat and reading this, I'm fuming! I bought my CPO'd 99 3 years ago and last week brought it by a body shop to have a ding rubbed out. The ding came out perfectly, but as he walked around the car he was pointing out, how, this door was repainted, the back quarters were repainted, the other door was repainted, and the nose. He pointed out ungoddly overspray on the rocker panels, so damn noticeable now he pointed it out. There is a speck of paint on the window rubber, they didn't even take the rubber off, they just masked it. This car was repainted POORLY, but my problem is it's been 3 years and i'm not sure if they wont just say, well, you had it painted. Like I'm trying to pull a fast one on them. I'm going to give it a try, I've got a real bad taste in my mouth now.

Yeah, but was the car damaged? or just resprayed? It can be resprayed...but accident repairs are the issue...

Old 04-28-2007, 05:03 AM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
I agree. I believe when the dealers purchase these cars at auctions (which I am guessing they did with this car), they test the paint with their meters and should have known this before buying the car. If they are a reputable (larger scale) dealer, they know. Even the smaller dealers know.

Old 04-28-2007, 05:42 AM
Dev911 is just really niceDev911 is just really niceDev911 is just really niceDev911 is just really nice
Originally Posted by newport996
Yeah, but was the car damaged? or just resprayed? It can be resprayed...but accident repairs are the issue...
Who's to know? Should they have CPO'd it if there is overspray on the rocker panels and a few paint blems? Should they have notified me of a respray?

Old 04-28-2007, 11:51 AM
tweety is infamous around these parts
All this talk got me motivated to turn the car in early. Next week it will be turned over to get the nose pulled and re-shot and the wheels will be stripped and re-shot as well. So if I trade it in, don't be surprised if it turns up as CPO. No wreckage, just freshening!

Old 04-28-2007, 03:34 PM
kem
kem is infamous around these parts
If the car was in an accident they should have notified you for sure. I've heard of people successfully returning CPOs after finding out about undisclosed accidents.

But if it was a paint respray for a scratch or blemish, the sales guy probably had no clue and you can't really fault them for it. Clearly it was repainted well since you never noticed.

Originally Posted by Dev911
Who's to know? Should they have CPO'd it if there is overspray on the rocker panels and a few paint blems? Should they have notified me of a respray?