996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Tail wing switch w/ LED indicator - where to get one?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 06:00 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Tail wing switch w/ LED indicator - where to get one?

Searched the forums here but couldn't find the info- Hopefully someone can provide me with a link-

I recall awhile back seeing an in-dash switch for the tail wing that also had an indicator LED on it that would illuminate green when the wing is raised.
Anyone know where to get one? I have found plenty of the standard oem switches, but none with the LED.
Smart guy that I am, I forgot to bookmark the place I saw it at. This was a for-sale part, not a one-off custom piece.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:56 PM
grahamtwatson is infamous around these parts
I installed one of these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...spagenameZWDVW yesterday - it's NOT a switch, just an indicator. But it does do exactly what it says on the box.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:00 PM
porschenut911 is infamous around these parts
How hard is the install? Is there a DIY? I'd like to get one.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:30 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
hmm- thanks, that is helpful.
I could have sworn I saw an OEM switch that had the indicator combined... or maybe i'm just suffering from wishful thinking.. heh.

porschenut911- yes, it seems pretty easy to relocate the footwell control to the uppoer dash location, and the OEM switches are pretty easy to find:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSC...QQcmdZViewItem (switch only)

complete DIY kit: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSC...QQcmdZViewItem

Just be sure to get the correct one for your year, they come in either a gloss to matt finish.

Last edited by p0rsch3; 04-30-2007 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:02 PM
xdream is infamous around these parts
Schematic

Originally Posted by grahamtwatson
I installed one of these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...spagenameZWDVW yesterday - it's NOT a switch, just an indicator. But it does do exactly what it says on the box.
Graham, would you happen to have the schematic on the wiring of this spoiler LED?

Old 04-30-2007, 08:02 PM
Where did you buy it, if I might ask?

Old 04-30-2007, 08:11 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
There is another option. I added a tip switch on the dash to control the spoiler, they were used in TT's and then modified a footwell light switch to light up when the spoier is raised. If you want to be able to control the spoiler on from a switch on the dash I can find the DIY for it, it is on either rennlist or renntech. Then you can either modify a footwell light switch or buy the one from ebay. I used the tip switch because I use its swithing functions to toggle my OBC.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Dharn55
There is another option. I added a tip switch on the dash to control the spoiler, they were used in TT's and then modified a footwell light switch to light up when the spoier is raised. If you want to be able to control the spoiler on from a switch on the dash I can find the DIY for it, it is on either rennlist or renntech. Then you can either modify a footwell light switch or buy the one from ebay. I used the tip switch because I use its swithing functions to toggle my OBC.
Thank you Dharn55- please post info links / pics / whatever you have

Old 04-30-2007, 08:34 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
Here is a good link for the in-dash switch

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7071

I can't find the link for the footwell light switch right now, it is pretty old. I know I have a copy of it at the office and will look it up tomorrow and add it to this thread. Good Luck!!

Old 04-30-2007, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by Dharn55
Here is a good link for the in-dash switch

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7071

I can't find the link for the footwell light switch right now, it is pretty old. I know I have a copy of it at the office and will look it up tomorrow and add it to this thread. Good Luck!!
Thanks for taking the time to post, absolutely appreciated.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:03 PM
grahamtwatson is infamous around these parts
Fitting the switch from eBay requires taking the instrument panel off and poking five wires into the back of one the connectors. It's not really difficult - took me about an hour, and I'd never done it before. It's not quite as simple as knowing which wires to connect to an LED as there is a very small circuit board in the wiring.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:14 PM
OK - Herre are the instructions for modifying a Footwell Light Switch to indicate whether your spoiler is up or not

http://wa4ekg.home.att.net/996images5/FWLswmod2.html

I used this to work with the in-dash spoiler switch, and then used the switch function to control my OBC.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:31 PM
WARDHOG is infamous around these parts
Quote from Ebay site discription, "it is a great eyecatcher located in the center dash...you and your passangers will be inspired!!!"

Old 05-02-2007, 09:36 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
dont bother with this mod... Get a fixed wing!!!

Old 05-03-2007, 12:00 AM
Originally Posted by WARDHOG
Quote from Ebay site discription, "it is a great eyecatcher located in the center dash...you and your passangers will be inspired!!!"
yeah, that cracked me up as well...
if "you and your passenger" are not 'inspired' just by going for a ride in that sweet Pcar, well, there is just no hope for either of them... Time to buy a Saturn (used).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tail wing switch w/ LED indicator - where to get one?