996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 as a daily driver

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 02:59 PM
Lucky-T is infamous around these parts
I agree that lifestyle has something to do with it. We also own a Subaru Outback as my wifes daily/the weekend grocery getter, so the Porsche would not be driven constantly (just my commute and for fun). But cars need to be driven in order to maintain them - seals dry up (I'm reading RMS in there), brakes deteriorate, etc. As for wear and tear, I'm very gentle on my cars and I'm more careful than anyone on where I park, how I wash them, care for them, etc.
What concerns me most is an undermining, nearly constant reminder from my BMW friends that I'll regret it as a daily driver over the 335 based on reliability/problems. Of course, they are biased, but there's a twinge of truth in that I'd be buying a 6-7 year old Porsche out of warranty over a new 335-for the same $ isn't exactly comparing apples and apples. One is inherently going to pose more possible time-related issues than the other. Space, comfort, ergonomics do not concern me much. I love the 996 interior and visibility/overall ergonomics. Both are comfortable (in my opinion) and both offer something the other doesn't. This originally started as an M3 search, but a used car dealer threw the keys at me on a 2001 996 and I've been thrown for a loop on what to do now, especially since I'm moving away from the BMW.
It's interesting to read people's perception as what it in essance is a mild exotic, driven each day. I guess that's the beauty of the 996 over an F car - it's drivability over something that's simply too exotic.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by newport996
So do yourself a favor and buy a CPO car from a Porsche dealer....I never understand someone who doesnt look at this option first....You get AT LEAST a 2 year warranty up to 100k miles....after 2 years you will know whether you want to keep it, or sell it at that point. It wont cost you much more than a car you buy from a private party, but you get...a car with a guaranteed amount of tread, clutch, brake pads, all services up to date, and peac of mind that whatever goes wrong will be covered....Buy a private party car, replace the tires and clutch within a year and you have just paid the difference in price. i bought a 99...and yes I had an engine replaced, but again, thats hit or miss...I know people at 165k + miles on their cars with the original engine...I have also seen people with 10k miles and engines replaced. I would bet that its like 1% or less of the cars sold that have this problem....so you cant go into expecting it, but just know its a possible issue. i wouldnt buy a used Porsche without a warranty, in my opinion thats crazy....but once you know the car, and you get comfortable with it mechanically, then its a bullet proof car...as bullet proof as Porsche has made to date.
Newport, you are absolutely correct.
The only problem is I'm looking at spending $40k tops. You can find a 996 for $40k or less, just not as a CPO (and therin a possible sad reality that I'm trying to buy more car than I can actually afford).
The third party warranties are an option, but again, I'd have to fctor that in with the price of the car. A found a perfect 2000 this weekend with 32k miles, but was snatched up by another buyer (wish he had told me there was an offer on the table before I drove 50 miles to see the car). At $36k, it was 100% original and stunning, and I could easily factor in the $3500 for a warranty. Would you really recommend the aftermarket warranties? Will they really cover what is needed when the time comes?
Thanks!
T

Old 05-01-2007, 03:06 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Have you seen the Consumer reports and JD Power reliability reports? BMW is near the bottom, and Porsche is near the top....Also the 335 is a NEW first year model...I GUARANTEE you will have issues with the BMW, yes it will be under warranty, but you will have problems. Again, you can solve your dilemma by just buying the car at the Porsche dealer with the CPO warranty...no issues, great cars, and great warranty up to 100k miles....I bought my cra for BELOW private party blue book WITH the CPO warranty. So I paid less than market value for the car with the warranty...oh and it was a convertible in the middle of summer....the worst time to buy a convertible....and it was triple black, one of the most popular colors, and it was LOADED with options.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:08 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Lucky-T
Newport, you are absolutely correct.
The only problem is I'm looking at spending $40k tops. You can find a 996 for $40k or less, just not as a CPO (and therin a possible sad reality that I'm trying to buy more car than I can actually afford).
The third party warranties are an option, but again, I'd have to fctor that in with the price of the car. A found a perfect 2000 this weekend with 32k miles, but was snatched up by another buyer (wish he had told me there was an offer on the table before I drove 50 miles to see the car). At $36k, it was 100% original and stunning, and I could easily factor in the $3500 for a warranty. Would you really recommend the aftermarket warranties? Will they really cover what is needed when the time comes?
Thanks!
T
Do a search...there has to be CPO cars for under $40k...I paid $45k 3 years ago for a 99 C4 Cab which are more expensive than a C2 coupe. I am positive you can get a CPO 996 for under $40k.....

Old 05-01-2007, 03:09 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
If you find the right aftermarket warranty company you'll be well served. I believe CA has different rules/regs than WA otherwise I would recommend mine to you.

A new 335i is going to cost at least $45K-$50K w/ tax. Not sure how you're cross-shopping a mass produced German Accord with a $40K tops 996.

It sounds like your heart is with the 911 and rightfully so. I dropped a perfect '04 M3 for my current C4S and I'd never look back so I can't imagine how I'd feel getting a 335i over a 911. The 335i is a cushy commuter car with a solid straightline power w/ the backing of a beautiful warranty program.

I am certain you can find a '99-'01 996 CPOed within your budget. Get the 911, but more importantly get the right 911 that'll give you POM.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:40 PM
Thanks guys!
You've answered many of my questions.
FTR - the 335 is Euro Delivery option and would run under $39k with options. It means a trip to Europe, but still...similar ballpark pricewise.
I concur with the 1st year model issue. It could lead to it's own issues.
I'll look for CPO's starting this week and take that avenue instead of private party sales (I thought to be an advantage so to get full history, records, etc). Otherwise I'll review some 3rd party extended warranty companies.
Thanks again for your help!
Tarik

Old 05-01-2007, 03:44 PM
Banned
i'm not as big as newport is on buying a CPOed car. dealers dont give a flying fuq about the car so long as it looks sellable.

i'd want a rennlist, 6speed 911 v. one that's on the lot where you have no idea what's been going on with that car except thru the filtered message of the sales guy that you most likely cannot trust. oh it's a lease trade in. oh the other guy babied it. no accidents (that we know of).

then add an aftermarket warranty from a reputable firm and you're good to go. my question is whether CPO is transferrable like most aftermarket warranties.

Old 05-01-2007, 05:00 PM
Dlack66 is infamous around these parts
Drive it

Cars are meant to be driven. Enjoy all the time you get behind the wheel.
Cheers

Old 05-01-2007, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
i'm not as big as newport is on buying a CPOed car. dealers dont give a flying fuq about the car so long as it looks sellable.

i'd want a rennlist, 6speed 911 v. one that's on the lot where you have no idea what's been going on with that car except thru the filtered message of the sales guy that you most likely cannot trust. oh it's a lease trade in. oh the other guy babied it. no accidents (that we know of).

then add an aftermarket warranty from a reputable firm and you're good to go. my question is whether CPO is transferrable like most aftermarket warranties.

We differ here....A CPO car goes through 100 points inspection. Things like tires, brakes and clutch must be at least 50% tread, or replaced with new ones. Then all services must be up to date, if its within 5000 miles of another service, it must be done. So if your car is coming up on a major service (every 30k miles) this alone will save you $1200. Tires another $1200. Clutch almost $2k. There are alot of small other things they check..belts, hoses, etc...The Porsche dealer may not care about the car, BUT if they get too many CPO complaints like, "I bought a CPO car and the clutch went out 6 months later"...then the dealership could lose their right to sell CPO cars, and thats a big deal. So they have a reason to do it and do it right. But lastely you gotta check up on it....Mine didnt have 50% tread left on the tires...BAM new Pirellis...thats like $1200 and half the cost of the warranty. Yes its transferable if you sell the car to a private party, not a dealership. I also got all my service records on the car from the Porsche computer so I have all records of the car SINCE NEW, day one...I know what was done, when and why, plus have the hard copies. So its not a guess or vague info from a salesman, I know EXACTLY how it was driven, and how it was maintained...There are lots of horror stories about warranty companies going belly up, finding ways to weasel out of paying a claim, or crazy deductables....etc....CPO warranty is great, no problems with approvals, always get loaner cars, and never a hassle with deductables or reimbursements with some aftermarket companies. FYI I NEVER had a warranty claim denied, in fact there were somethings that were covered that maybe should not have been...a coolant hose broke under the car, seems I ran over something....flatbed tow to the dealer, loaner delivered top my house, and repair done all without a hiccup. So in my book, its the ONLY way to buy a Porsche, but thats just me.....I am at 130k+ miles and still going strong, I guess I did something right...lol....

Last edited by newport996; 05-01-2007 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:50 PM
Banned
i see your point, newport, and i'm certainly not putting out a blanket statement that CPO cars are questionable at best, but what i am advising the original poster is not to discount private party sales and look singularly at CPOed 911s.

a well cared for private party car won't necessarily have tired tires, worn out clutch, weary hoses etc. the owners from 6speed/rennlist in general take good care of their cars and sell them not because they have issues per se (like me), but they sell them to upgrade or just get out of a depreciating asset for wiser "investments"... whatever reason they may have, but they're usually very open to explain their selling story and the story of their rides.

there are reputable third party warranties out there that offer all inclusive packages. the problem with the CPO is that it's only 2 years. what next? you gotta look at a warranty from the aftermarket anyways as it sound slike lucky would have this car for more than 2 years i am guessing.

in the end, it's all minutiae/splitting hairs since each car is different with its own unique story. either way i wouldn't be remiss to say that you and i both agree that the original poster get a car covered under some sort of warranty with a good idea of history of the ride.

my variation to your recommendation is that i am advising lucky to look at both CPOed cars and private party cars as it ultimately comes down to THE CAR, not the warranty coverage - just be sure to cover your **** with something.

broaden your search and you'll have a better shot at finding the right 911 - you're limited with looking at just CPOed 911s esp the '99-'01s. not even sure they offer '99s with CPO... not sure what the term limits are as to how old the car can be.

Last edited by Benjamin Choi; 05-01-2007 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:54 PM
i see your point, newport, and i'm certainly not putting out a blanket statement that CPO cars are questionable at best, but what i am advising the original poster is not to discount private party sales and look singularly at CPOed 911s.

a well cared for private party car won't necessarily have tired tires, worn out clutch, weary hoses etc. the owners from 6speed/rennlist in general take good care of their cars and sell them not because they have issues per se (like me), but they sell them to upgrade or just get out of a depreciating asset for wiser "investments"... whatever reason they may have, but they're usually very open to explain their selling story and the story of their rides.

there are reputable third party warranties out there that offer all inclusive packages. the problem with the CPO is that it's only 2 years. what next? you gotta look at a warranty from the aftermarket anyways as it sound slike lucky would have this car for more than 2 years i am guessing.

in the end, it's all minutiae/splitting hairs since each car is different with its own unique story. either way i wouldn't be remiss to say that you and i both agree that the original poster get a car covered under some sort of warranty with a good idea of history of the ride.

my variation to your recommendation is that i am advising lucky to look at both CPOed cars and private party cars as it ultimately comes down to THE CAR, not the warranty coverage - just be sure to cover your **** with something.

broaden your search and you'll have a better shot at finding the right 911 - you're limited with looking at just CPOed 911s esp the '99-'01s. not even sure they offer '99s with CPO... not sure what the term limits are as to how old the car can be.

agreed....

Old 05-01-2007, 07:57 PM
wittenbergj is infamous around these parts
Use mine daily as a kid schlepper and for commuting to work. Done 15K miles in a year with no issues. Its gonna depreciate regardless of mileage so you might as well enjoy it.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:06 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
[quote=Benjamin Choi]

I wouldn't go after such a low, low mileage 911 either. I don't like engines that sit around for most of its life especially when they're 6-7 years old.

quote]

you mean like pretty much EVERY ferrari engine out there?

Old 05-01-2007, 08:11 PM
[QUOTE=PorscheC4]

I wouldn't go after such a low, low mileage 911 either. I don't like engines that sit around for most of its life especially when they're 6-7 years old.

quote]

you mean like pretty much EVERY ferrari engine out there?
I agree....just about EVERY ultra low mileage car I have seen or heard of has HORROR stories when someone startes driving them regularly....I like at least 10k miles a year....this also makes sure that the gremlins are shaken out through normal driving...

Old 05-01-2007, 08:31 PM
ChromeHearts is infamous around these parts
Do it, I DD my 996 and its a blast. I'm one of those people that can't help themselves but to drive their sports car every day. Its so much fun, especially with the weather we have in CA, everyday is a good day!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 2.00 average.

Quick Reply: 996 as a daily driver