996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 as a daily driver

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 08:51 PM
michael.s.under is infamous around these parts
I have a 99 c2 and use it daily. My drive is 39 miles each way, about 40 minutes some stop and go and some surface roads. I love it, I have never had more fun driving it or driving to work. I would change sites without it. It has about seventy now, I was the second owner and every wrench turn or fluid transfer was documented in paperwork. Even some of the major issues others have here on their c2 were resolved. Just make sure you have a papertrail. Driving a German Sports car to work feels the same as wearing an italian suit to work. Reward yourself.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:05 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
michael, nice analogy hehe

Old 05-01-2007, 09:38 PM
flojo1 is infamous around these parts
If you want the car, and you like the car, then get the car I'm in the same situation as you, I go 7miles to work each way, i enjoy it, remember you only go around once

Old 05-01-2007, 11:21 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flojo1
If you want the car, and you like the car, then get the car I'm in the same situation as you, I go 7miles to work each way, i enjoy it, remember you only go around once
I second that motion- I just bought an '02 C2 coupe w/ 29k on the clock, good paperwork trail (previous porsche lease program vehicle), no warranty but price was right.

I will drive it every day with a big-*** smile on my face.

btw, fwiw and all.. I shopped initially for a 99-01 996 because they seemed to have the lowest entry price into the 996 arena.
But, after looking at several and heeding the advice of the knowledgeable members of 6speedonline, renn, pcna, etc I decided that an '02+ would be a better bargain.
I shopped some more and got my '02 for 99-01 money. Deals are out there.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:30 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Lucky-T
Newport, you are absolutely correct.
The only problem is I'm looking at spending $40k tops. You can find a 996 for $40k or less, just not as a CPO (and therin a possible sad reality that I'm trying to buy more car than I can actually afford).
The third party warranties are an option, but again, I'd have to fctor that in with the price of the car. A found a perfect 2000 this weekend with 32k miles, but was snatched up by another buyer (wish he had told me there was an offer on the table before I drove 50 miles to see the car). At $36k, it was 100% original and stunning, and I could easily factor in the $3500 for a warranty. Would you really recommend the aftermarket warranties? Will they really cover what is needed when the time comes?
Thanks!
T
$36k for an '00? That's about what I paid for my '02, and I actually found several clean low mileadge (under 40k miles) '02 996's for under $40k. (including a cab and a targa!)
Have you searched the dealers in Florida and Texas? AutoTrader (all of USA)?
There really are regular good deals out there, be patient and you'll find a winner!

Old 05-02-2007, 06:12 AM
CoreyNJ is infamous around these parts
I Daily Drive my 996 sorta... one of the reasons I can't lower it more than ROW 030 (I scrape now with the RS splitter at this height almost everywhere)....

Any way I say sorta, because I bought new and for the 1st year and a half I put 18k miles, then I started flying again and thanks to Webex, I drive maybe once a week now, but when I do it's 100-200 miles. I also don't really drive my 911 on weekends, but my Cayenne since I would like the whole family to join and the 911 is too small in the back for trips.

Maintenance and stuff is the killer on a daily driver, and when I say maintenance I also mean a lot more than oil changes.... On a weekend only car the likelyhood of a chip or a scratch or a wheel incident are lower than driving during the week when everyone is in a rush to make it home or to work and there are 18 wheelers on the road.

Get used to repaints or at minimum re-clearing even if you have the clear bra, because it will be on other parts of the car not just hood and bumper. also get comfortable with a wheel repair place as these lower profile wheels bend easily. So the incidental wear and tear is higher and you will need to keep at it to make the car look great. I get comments all the time from people on how well (my wife would say neurotic) I maintain the cosmetics of my car continually, not just once a season because I couldn't drive a car with an "imperfection" for long.

Good luck with whatever you decide also keep about 10k in the bank just incase you have a major repair (Is CPO worth it, maybe I don't know I only buy new for DDs because I need to rely on them). Also remember these cars need tires between oil changes, yep that's right you change tires more often than oil.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:19 AM
Lucky-T is infamous around these parts
CoreyNJ - good point about possible wear/tear. Driving in LA is fairly insane in that way. And people don't really care about loose things in their pickup beds, throwing things out the window, etc. It's not easy to keep a clean car clean.

Originally Posted by p0rsch3
$36k for an '00? That's about what I paid for my '02, and I actually found several clean low mileadge (under 40k miles) '02 996's for under $40k. (including a cab and a targa!)
Have you searched the dealers in Florida and Texas? AutoTrader (all of USA)?
There really are regular good deals out there, be patient and you'll find a winner!
Going rate on a solid '01 with less than 40k miles is about $38k. Sometimes more depending on other vairables. There are variances, but I'm finding most of the cars out there are 3rd-5th owner cars, carry few if any paper trail for documented work, etc. Initially I thought the search would be slam-dunk easy, but it is actually not easy to find an original, pampered 996 with full service history. I've also noted that KBB plays a very small part in the true "value" of the cars I'm finding. Good ones simply cost more, and that's justafiably so. All online sources have been great, but I'm still looking.
My only three limiting factors in my search are:
1. 1st or 2nd owner only.
2. Full maintenance records.
3. Within a couple hours drive.
I tried to materialize something with a 996 in San Francisco. Although it's only 7 hours away, it was difficult to pull it together, especially when there are other local ones I was considering at the time.
It's not easy.
But I agree that there are advantages to CPO cars - they DO carry a hefty warranty, so that's piece of mind. Hard to know the full or even partial history of a car when it's from a dealer though. And theat's my only problem with CPO. You can learn a lot about the car by meeting the owner.
I think I have to wait until the new batch of 996's come out in AutoTrader/Ebay, etc. I've exhausted all local ones for now...

Last edited by Lucky-T; 05-02-2007 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:52 AM
Lucky-T - I know we all wish you good luck in your hunt.

My search was definitely far from slam-dunk easy, so I do understand your frustration and would totally agree with your findings. I guess patience and perserverence is the key.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:43 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
porsche designed these cars as a DD...hence the cupholder!

Old 05-02-2007, 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by Redridge
porsche designed these cars as a DD...hence the cupholder!
I thought the cup holders were only provided on US cars for the stupid Americans who drink and talk on the cell phone while driving?

Old 09-29-2011, 03:13 PM
Parkcity911 is infamous around these parts
No cup holders on my 2001. LOL...I switched to red bulls an crush the can to fit between by legs on the seat....works quite well. I drive in the summer daily, but have a 18 mile curvy mountain section of I80 to get to Salt Lake. Pretty fun drive, but trying to avoid tickets has become harder and harder. I also drive in the winter on the occasional blue bird day to just get the juices flowing while sitting in a heated garage. Haven't been stuck yet...knock on wood.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:08 PM
crazyed71 is infamous around these parts
2 years ago i had your same dilemma.... went with the 335, all bells on paper, then after a month all hell broke loose.... Variable valve solenoid one day, High filter pump twice (with all the updates.... Service engine lights on like christmas... Friend do yourself a favor, go on a reputable BMW site, and just see what kind of issues they run into... True not all cars, but if you happen to be one (like me).... Switched and got the P car... 2 years 25k mile and sure a few problems, but with rms, water pump and IMS upgrade.... I can say that everyday 60 miles to and from work and "I JUST CANT WIPE THE SMILE OFF MY FACE!"

Old 09-30-2011, 12:25 AM
Greek911 is infamous around these parts
I do about 50 miles a day, not a problem here , comfortable car, great AC, clutch can be a pain in the *** in heavy traffic, but hey you re driving a 911. Mine is an 02 and i've been doing the daily heavy traffic commute now for the past 3 years. No overheat issues just the left leg can get tired after a 2hour bumper to bumper drive.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:25 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Holy thread resurrection batman!

Old 09-30-2011, 09:23 AM
Airrik is infamous around these partsAirrik is infamous around these parts
Wth is wrong with you people? You just resurected an old thread 3 yrs old!
Start a new one next time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 2.00 average.

Quick Reply: 996 as a daily driver