996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 as a daily driver

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Lucky-T is infamous around these parts
996 as a daily driver

Hi there!
I'm planning to replace my Audi A3 with a used (1999-2001) 996. My commute is about 5 miles each way (gridlock the whole way on the 405...LA!).
Does anyone else use their 996 as a daily driver? If not, what are your opinions on doing so?
I'm cross shopping a new BMW 335 coupe and I really don't want go there...
Thanks!
T.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:38 PM
The Pun
try a search, there are a ton of threads on this...

Old 05-01-2007, 01:09 PM
I found some information regarding the 996TT and GT3 but not a base 996. Clutch feel, manners, ground clearance, etc are all different.
Thanks for any information you can provide!
T.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:51 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
not a prob at all - i just wouldn't do it myself

Old 05-01-2007, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
not a prob at all - i just wouldn't do it myself
Due to reliability? Comfort? Safety? Maintenance costs?
Curious to know why.
Thanks!
T.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:03 PM
PeterK is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Lucky-T
Curious to know why.
Thanks!
T.
Costs/depreciation would be the issue for me. Not to mention, that having a sports cars as a DD while glamorous, is quite taxing. My commute involves stop-go-traffic, beat up streets and 4 pairs of vicious speed bumps.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:14 PM
grahamtwatson is infamous around these parts
I use my 996 for my commute - my personal feeling is "why have it if you're not going to use it".

I do about 10 miles each way, some of it in stop-go traffic. For the stop-go, I'd rather have an automatic, but everywhere else I'm glad I got a manual. But then again, this would apply to any car for me.

The clutch is fine and the gearbox, now I've got my SSK fitted, is better than any other car I've driven except for a Miata I had a number of years ago.

If you are only doing 10 miles a day, you are not exactly going to be racking up the miles, are you!

Old 05-01-2007, 02:14 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
I use my car as a daily driver...I commute from Newport Beach to Hollywood 5 days a week...(55 miles each way)...I bought my car with 44k miles almost 3 years ago...I have 135k miles on the clock now....I LOVE it as my daily driver...my previous was a Boxster for about a year, and before that a 95 Range Rover....Its a comfortable car...mine is lowered with PSS9's and the ride is better than stock...even with my 19's....I dont drive during commute hours, so i usually dont hit too much traffic, especially on the way home, at times it takes me 30 minutes....I would buy a CPO car from the Porsche dealer. 99-01's are of the age where things will start going bad....and they an nickel and dime you to death....under warranty, my engine was replaced, (altenator, a/c compressor came with the new engine), water pump, 3 coolant tanks, radiator fans, exhaust gasket, MAF and O2 sensors, battery, cab top latch, misc trim pieces, etc......after alot of that stuff was done, which was within the first year for the most part, it has been an excellent, VERY reliable, and trouble free car. Nothing besides normal maint for the past 2 years.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:26 PM
tweety is infamous around these parts
5 miles each way?
Not worth getting a 996. In my head I don't see the motor being able to get up to temp long enough before having to shut it off again. Seems like more possible damage long term.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:28 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by tweety
5 miles each way?
Not worth getting a 996. In my head I don't see the motor being able to get up to temp long enough before having to shut it off again. Seems like more possible damage long term.
In LA traffic, thats 30 minutes each way....it'll be fine.....He will probably have a longer commute than me....lol....

Old 05-01-2007, 02:43 PM
Banned
Curious to know why.
Thanks!
T.
A combination of all the above which ultimately adds up to peace of mind.

I've read overall from other owner's collective experience that the '02+ engines/911s are reliable. It's not any more costly to maintain than a BMW 3 series out of warranty.

Safety, whatever. It's never safe whatever you do, anything can happen.

It's not comfortable for me to worry about scraping, ingress/egress, clutch work, vandalism, dings, etc. I like driving without worrying about all that stuff which is then that I take my trusty Jeep Cherokee.

I like to drive my 911 when I'm ready to play and that's on select days, but I do put about 12K miles on the car so it's def not a garage queen. I think 911s or cars in general do better when driven on a consistent basis and that I do. I'm just selective about when and where.

I like to keep my car looking new and driving it as a daily will wear on the interior, exterior much more quickly than one driven less.

I think you already know the reasons why one doesn't drive the 911 daily it's just that you want some sort of example of people who have done it and now palatable it is. It's really your lifestyle that'll provide the answers to your question. My lifestyle doesn't support it. I need a beater. I'd sell the 911 before I had to sell the beater honestly.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:45 PM
whatever is infamous around these parts
I was using my 996 as a daily driver. Very easy car to do it in. Not much more in maintence except oil change a little bit more frequent. My commute was about the same as yours 10 miles a day. Only thing I would say is you'll wish you have a longer commute so you can drive it more. Heck, sometime I even take the long way around just so I can drive the car more

Old 05-01-2007, 02:46 PM
Thanks!
Sounds like I might be putting myself in a tough spot on initial maintenance and possible initial problems on the 99-01's. I won't be driving too mnay miles a day - From Mar Vista to Westwood is about 5 miles each way. In 2 years I put 13k miles on my A3.
I found a 2001 with 14k miles I'm very interested in, but I suspect many of the problems that will/might eventually surface, may not have yet.
I can afford the car, but an engine out of warranty could be a problem. I'm getting many mixed reviews on overall reliability and maintenance on the 996. Some people swear it's bulletproof while others guarantee I'll have many expensive problems to fix. The list above is a little worrysome to an out of warranty prospect.
I don't have any experience with Porsche so I'm new to this.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:53 PM
Banned
Lucky, I'd stay away from the 3.4s. I know people who own the 3.4s will swear by them, but guess what... even the respected Herge shop in the OC told me to stay away from them if possible, unless you really love the 3.4 over the new '02+ 3.6s.

I wouldn't go after such a low, low mileage 911 either. I don't like engines that sit around for most of its life especially when they're 6-7 years old.

As for warranty, there are a few good third party warranties available. I paid $3500 out the door w/ 4 years/48K miles all inclusive. Budget in a warranty for, again, POM.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:55 PM
Thanks!
Sounds like I might be putting myself in a tough spot on initial maintenance and possible initial problems on the 99-01's. I won't be driving too mnay miles a day - From Mar Vista to Westwood is about 5 miles each way. In 2 years I put 13k miles on my A3.
I found a 2001 with 14k miles I'm very interested in, but I suspect many of the problems that will/might eventually surface, may not have yet.
I can afford the car, but an engine out of warranty could be a problem. I'm getting many mixed reviews on overall reliability and maintenance on the 996. Some people swear it's bulletproof while others guarantee I'll have many expensive problems to fix. The list above is a little worrysome to an out of warranty prospect.
I don't have any experience with Porsche so I'm new to this.
So do yourself a favor and buy a CPO car from a Porsche dealer....I never understand someone who doesnt look at this option first....You get AT LEAST a 2 year warranty up to 100k miles....after 2 years you will know whether you want to keep it, or sell it at that point. It wont cost you much more than a car you buy from a private party, but you get...a car with a guaranteed amount of tread, clutch, brake pads, all services up to date, and peac of mind that whatever goes wrong will be covered....Buy a private party car, replace the tires and clutch within a year and you have just paid the difference in price. i bought a 99...and yes I had an engine replaced, but again, thats hit or miss...I know people at 165k + miles on their cars with the original engine...I have also seen people with 10k miles and engines replaced. I would bet that its like 1% or less of the cars sold that have this problem....so you cant go into expecting it, but just know its a possible issue. i wouldnt buy a used Porsche without a warranty, in my opinion thats crazy....but once you know the car, and you get comfortable with it mechanically, then its a bullet proof car...as bullet proof as Porsche has made to date.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 2.00 average.

Quick Reply: 996 as a daily driver