996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Gauge install pictures, center delete kit questions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 08:42 PM
WearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond repute
Gauge install pictures, center delete kit questions?

So I got my gauges from FVD, took some time to get a complete set out of the clearence section in the colors that I wanted and with the correct spacing. I wanted a differnet colored center so that was what made me go this way.

First off these are FVD provides some really good gauges, factory spec or better in my opinion, only problem is they do not have a adhesive backing to them. Which is annoying, so I had to mix up a batch of interior glue in clear, apply carefully around the clear portions and slide them right in, serious pain in the butt because there is no going back after you do this.

I also got the center delete kit from them, which is great because I ripped out the CD holder a while back and there has been this huge uncovered airboag switch just sitting out in the open. But I still have a small open space does anybody know where I can get the final peice so I can call this project done.

I have to install the SSK over the weekend and drop my car off at for the M030 suspension from GT motorsports and this round of modification is done.

The next step is to rebuild the foam in the front seats to give them bigger bolsters and do the centers in alcantara, cover the stearing wheel in alcantara as well, and get the cup car wing installed and painted. Still waiting on tow hooks and my cage guy.

This is a great hobby.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:07 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
I like the gauges, good mod!!!

Old 05-02-2007, 09:22 PM
CosmosC4S is a jewel in the roughCosmosC4S is a jewel in the roughCosmosC4S is a jewel in the roughCosmosC4S is a jewel in the rough
Yeah, cool gauges! Different.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:11 PM
michael.s.under is infamous around these parts
Was it a pain to get the guage cluster out?

Old 05-02-2007, 11:17 PM
WearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond repute
Not really, I think I could do a complete set of gauges provided they had sticky backs in about 25 minutes or so. I spent some time and cleaned all of the dust out of the cluster and added a little bit of felt under the cluster to stop a slight speak that I had.

A torx under the mircophone cap, and the hazard signal button, then two more under the cluster cover, two metal retaining caps, three plastic pulls and thats really all there is to it. You just need to be very careful when you remove the hazard cap and the mircophone cap so that you do not damage the cluster cover.

I did not have a needle removal tool so I just used a fork and a bit of cut up mircofiber to keep from marring the surface.

This and the homebrew exhaust and my lathed resonator plug really did not cost much but the return for me has been great.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:13 AM
zdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by michael.s.under
Was it a pain to get the guage cluster out?
for a boxster......but close enough.

http://boxsters.addr.com/hacks/cluster.htm

good luck

Old 05-03-2007, 11:16 AM
zdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud of
Old 05-03-2007, 12:56 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
i like the factory gauges much better

Old 05-03-2007, 05:45 PM
calicolin is a jewel in the roughcalicolin is a jewel in the roughcalicolin is a jewel in the roughcalicolin is a jewel in the rough
Looks reasonably cool. Perhaps some aluminum rings next?

Old 05-03-2007, 06:31 PM
Banned
jstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to all
you only did the rpm gauge?

Old 05-03-2007, 07:03 PM
RPM is a Red Gemballa piece and the sides are factory silver now instead of black.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:01 PM
bruceinmiami is infamous around these parts
i've been contemplating removing the center console too. it rubs my calf on long drives. can you post a pic of the dashboard from the passenger side to see how it looks now?
how does one remove that center console?

Old 05-03-2007, 11:13 PM
It helps alot at least for me, 6'1 and 180 lb's, I also removed the map/booklet holder under the steering wheel. Makes it much easier for me to get in and out of the car.

I will take the pictures tommorow and send it to you.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:43 AM
Banned
jstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to all
what year is your car? i need the black mph gauge? would you sell it to me if its the 175mph???? thank you

Old 05-04-2007, 08:39 AM
Mine is a 99 so my 175 would work if you have the bottom cutout on your car. I would preer that you just buy a single one from FVD for 33$ from there clearnce section. I saw one there when I was ordering. I would like to sell mine as a complete set when I am sure that I am OK with the red ones.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gauge install pictures, center delete kit questions?