996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

2002 996 Tiptronic- any software upgrades avail?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 10:32 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Update: One of our friendly forum members here was kind enough to inquire with GIAC to see if they could create a sport software upgrade for the tiptronic. NO DICE! Apparently, GIAC does not seem interested, even though they do make sport tiptronic software for Audi/VW cars.

Total bummer- I think all tiptronic owners should contact GIAC and tell them to reconsider their stance, this would seem to be a very worthwhile upgrade for our pcars.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:21 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by p0rsch3
Update: One of our friendly forum members here was kind enough to inquire with GIAC to see if they could create a sport software upgrade for the tiptronic. NO DICE! Apparently, GIAC does not seem interested, even though they do make sport tiptronic software for Audi/VW cars.

Total bummer- I think all tiptronic owners should contact GIAC and tell them to reconsider their stance, this would seem to be a very worthwhile upgrade for our pcars.

What does the tranny have to do with the engine, any reason why you cant just dump the 6speed flash? I know nothing about tips... please educate me.

Old 05-26-2007, 01:11 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Redridge- not quite sure what you're asking, can you clarify? I'm new myself to pcars so not sure what you're referring to w/ the 6speed flash. I don't really know jack about the tiptronics, just what I've read in the tech and service manuals, and from looking at the tiptronic schematics.

The tiptronic mod I am hoping for would allow for faster / firmer shifts, start out from 1st gear in normal "D" mode, and hold the gears longer before upshifting.
Sort of what Dinan tranny software does for the BMW auto transmissions and GIAC tranny software does for Audi / VW tiptronics. you're basically flashing the control unit for the tranny, separately from the engine software flash.
The goal of it would be to improve the sport driveability and make it a bit less sloggy.

Old 05-26-2007, 10:29 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
ok, sorry for the stupid response I had... Im just so used to seeing GIAC = engine mod (reflash) and not tranny mod. However, Im a machine level programmer and I think what your asking seems like a major overhaul on that tranny control software. Im sure there is a reason why they included a warm up phase in there and that seems to be the problem in your case.
Correct me if Im wrong but I guess you like how the cold phase drives (higher rpm shifts) and would like to drive it like this all the time... thats cool! But sounds like more than modifying memory maps since it includes changing the logic of starting out in second gear once it is warmed up. It sounds like its simple to change but requires alot of R&D and I could see why tuners hasnt really been on the band wagon with this stuff. I guess thats what the manual mode is for. Does the tranny has a seperate dme or the control resides only in one dme?
Did you mention that the newer tips acted like how you wanted it to?... Maybe this route can help you achieve what you want...Technically that is... Sorry about my rant.