996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

lightweight flywheel recs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 08:02 AM
WDC 911 is infamous around these parts
It's hardly heard at a light if there is nothing for the sound to bounce off but if a car or construction wall is next to you it's a different story. If you depress the clutch the chatter sound will stop. I don't hear it if the windows are closed or if the windows are open with the radio at a hwy speed level.

Alot of people told me there was no chatter but they were wrong, even my installer stated there will be no chatter. He quickly changed his mind after the install.

Originally Posted by NIKAS
It sounds like the FVD kit is the way to go when my clutch is spent. How bad is the chatter at stop lights? ie. will it give cause for the babes and ricers to laugh and point? I assume when the clutch is depressed there is no noise?

Old 05-10-2007, 08:38 AM
ZEMDOGG is infamous around these parts
Im still not hearing it. Maybe because i have muffler bypass pipes

Obviously it isnt that bad if you have guys saying they hear it and guys saying they dont. I say do it you will not be dissapointed!

Old 05-11-2007, 09:26 AM
NIKAS is infamous around these parts
Thanks for advice...I'm going to sign up once my clutch gives up.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:33 PM
pjalexandre is infamous around these parts
It chatters..at idle with clutch out. but it is not an unpleasant sound.. imo, it is a mechanical noise that with a louder exhaust give the car that bad *** I mean business character. It is hard to describe but it is a very mechanical clatter that almost sounds like it belongs (ok about 80% of the time).

There is almost zero clatter when you are driving unless the rpms are around 2 to 2.5k. 3k and above it just sounds right.

just my 2cents.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:13 PM
karlooz is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by WDC 911
I have an AASCO. They all chatter noticeably while in neutral when the clutch is released.
+1

AASCO here and chatter. great performance mod. not so good if you like a quiet car.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:41 PM
karlooz is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by pjalexandre
It chatters..at idle with clutch out. but it is not an unpleasant sound.. imo, it is a mechanical noise that with a louder exhaust give the car that bad *** I mean business character. It is hard to describe but it is a very mechanical clatter that almost sounds like it belongs (ok about 80% of the time).

There is almost zero clatter when you are driving unless the rpms are around 2 to 2.5k. 3k and above it just sounds right.

just my 2cents.
when downshifting into a turn, and there's a heavy load on the trasmission, you CAN hear the gear lash.

i also hear this noise when cruising in a high gear and punch it without downshifting. there's a lot of load on the gears and the noise transmits though.

and yes, it was installed correctly, by sharkwerks

i am even using a slightly high viscosity gear oil... using redline. however, i have heard that mobil one is quieter. YMMV.

Last edited by karlooz; 05-11-2007 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:55 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Aren't they a pain in the *** when in first gear? One of the sponsors on here told me that first gear starts can be somewhat annoying with the LWFW.