996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

B&M SSK & Great Vendor Experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 05:28 PM
Poursha is infamous around these parts
B&M SSK & Great Vendor Experience

I had the B&M under car short shift kit installed in my '04 Carrera today, and really like it a lot. You can select 10%, 20% or 30% shift throw reduction--I went with 30%. It attaches between the gear cord and the transmission.

The throw from 3rd to 4th, as an example, decreased from 5" stock to 3.5" with the B&M (30%). The shifts are much more defined, but not notchy (if that's a word). Shifting effort is increased a bit (due to physics), but it's a welcomed shifting tightness. Left to right travel is unchanged, so you won't accidentally downshift from 5th to 2nd.

I got it from Brandywine Porsche for $175. As usual, Justin Lane was great. There was a mix up (apparently caused by mislabeling by B&M) and I originally got the wrong part, but Justin stepped up & got it fixed.

For you bay area folks, I had it installed at Akkurat in Menlo Park http://www.akkuratpgi.com . I can't say enough about their professionalism and expertise...and they're great guys to boot! They recognized it was the wrong part, and worked with B&M, along with Justin, and had the correct part FedEx'd to them today. George Young is a great guy.

Here's a pic of the gear cords attached to the transmission before installation:

B&M short shifter kit:

B&M with locking plate:

Here's a comparison, with stock shift throws on top, and B&M on bottom. The throw reduction in 3rd gear is misleading, because neutral with the B&M is moved forward a bit.

For those (like me) who wanted shorter shift throws, but were concerned with overly difficult shifting, I can say that this is the ticket.

Now I just need to figure a way to lower my car without increasing ride harshness...

Last edited by Poursha; 04-01-2004 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:41 PM
dpblessing is infamous around these parts
Glad that worked out!

B&M sure does make nice products.

And, let's not forget that although George is a good guy, he is nothing without Tyrone, Jim, Brian, and James to make sure he does not put that square peg into a round hole (or 'f up and order decaf coffee).

The entire team at AkkuratPGI R great guys!!

Old 04-01-2004, 08:38 PM
charnock is infamous around these parts
Poursha,

Read your same post in Rennlist. Also, does this change anything with the warranty? Looks like a great mod.

Thanks