996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 3.6 STOCK - PLENUM installed with dyno chart

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 09:42 AM
Banned
RSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond repute
Plenum Adaptation Period

Greetings 6 Speeders,

Not to rain on the Cold Air intake parade, but you have to remember that the plenums on the naturally aspirated applications require a 5 to 40 mile adaptation period that allows the Porsche DME/ECU to recognize and adapt to the increased air flow. Turbo applications respond immediately.

Also, the cold air intakes are design to perform under driving conditions when there is air flow being forced into the intake. You need to realize that the adaptation period probably “kicked in” during the cold air intake runs. I bet if you remove the cold air intake and do another dyno run in similar conditions you will have close to the same power figures.

Also if you look at our dyno chart you will see that the power and torque curves are very similar to the dyno chart above. We are just looking to keeps things properly evaluated. Every plenum we have sold has been received with great praise and provided big smiles after being installed (and ran for a few miles of course).

Thanks for all the continuing support from the 6 Speed community

Old 05-25-2007, 09:57 AM
YoopsRacing is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Redridge
... right, and you dont have enough now, the first step is to admit your a mod addict...
You are right....I am a mod addict......I need the 12 step Mod Addict Program...

Old 05-25-2007, 09:58 AM
Byronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by schnazzy
I would say closer to $3200-$3500 but still, a reasonable amount of money. Thats almost half an S/C on group buy. And all that for probably less than 35 RWHP (instead of 110 RWHP on an S/C). I may go S/C some day and everything I have and will be adding (except the cold air kit) is usable and add's HP to an S/C kit.
What about the cost of install for the SC? Are you saying that for about another 4000 (Rough numbers) you can get the SC installed or are you installing it yourself? Please shed some light.

Aloha

Byron

Old 05-25-2007, 10:57 AM
John Romano is infamous around these parts
The install is another 2 grand

Old 05-25-2007, 12:17 PM
slaaw is infamous around these parts
Schnazzy, it would have been better if there was a pull w/the K&N + stock plenum to determine what the K&N itself really contributes. Since the RSS plenum improves the flow into the engine, using it with a stock intake (Run 2) may have restricted its potential gains, hence showing only about a 4 hp gain over the total stock config.

Old 05-26-2007, 12:47 AM
C70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these parts
okay... who is going to add some 200 cell hi-flow cats and see what the effects are on the dyno with a plenum equipped car??

that will be interesting...

Old 05-30-2007, 04:21 PM
schnazzy is infamous around these parts
Ben - You are right, the altitude was a typo, it was supposed to be 500ft, not 4500 ft. However, we obviously disagree about carbconn, we probably disagree about c4 vs c2 and e36 vs e46. Maybe we should have Johnny Le officiate a Rochambeau contest to see who is right.

Slaaw - Yes it would have been better to do that but I would have bet you $$ that even if I did, someone else would have said I should have done another dyno with this or that or some other dyno etc. etc. The K&N has been out a while and there are a number of charts out there. The one posted on vividracing.com is toward the top (not the highest) of the best dyno charts so I would say that doing another dyno of what has been done many times before would have been a waste of my money.

(supercharger) - This should take 14-17hours at $85-100 an hour plus tax. So about $1500-$2000 if done by a shop.

(negative plenum responses) - I plan to do a couple more mods and the plenum will continue to contribute. I am happy with the plenum as it showed gains (even without 30-40 miles of driving or ecu reset). RSSGreg post of the dyno chart is great and I do not doubt that if I popped it on the dyno now, it would have even more hp.

I have driven about 750 miles since I last Thursday. The car feels and sounds faster, especially from 4800-6500. I got crazy gas mileage on my trip and will post those later. When I figure out which exhaust to get, I will dyno before/after. The before should show appropriate gains with the plenum/k&n.

Last edited by schnazzy; 05-30-2007 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:40 PM
schnazzy is infamous around these parts
So it has been a while but I was finally given the opportunity to re-dyno the car after about 2500 miles. I dyno'd it on the same dyno at the same place and in similar conditions. There were no changes to the car and I used the same superunleaded from the same top-shelf gas station as I always use.

The fact is that after ecu reset and thousands of miles... the car made 4 hp less than before. No big deal. So for my car (2003 C2) the plenum made an increase and it seems that the original install with multiple runs was correct for the plenum.

I am probably not going to do any more add's to the car. I might even sell it (to save for a newer one).

If anyone really cares to see the new dyno chart let me know.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:48 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for posting the info Schnazzy. Adding the KN Intake was the first mod I did to my pcar and loved it from day1. The sound of it sold me immediately. Dang thing is a retarded erector set to put together though... LOL.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:13 AM
3deep is infamous around these parts3deep is infamous around these parts3deep is infamous around these parts3deep is infamous around these parts
Looks like 1999 was right about the ecu reset showing the extra gains

Old 06-09-2008, 09:29 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Thank you for the honest post.
John, all those mods for 4500+ might make a total of 15hp over stock combined. Remember hp gain with mods is seldom cumulative. If you really want to see big hp, get an sc or better yet a turbo.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:58 PM
Apex944 is infamous around these parts
Ahh but the sound of a well tuned NA motor is a thing of beauty

Old 06-13-2008, 08:21 PM
nine9six is infamous around these partsnine9six is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 3deep
Looks like 1999 was right about the ecu reset showing the extra gains
4hp isnt that much but the gains from the plenum is still there as schnazzy post.

Last edited by nine9six; 06-13-2008 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:29 PM
Apex944 is infamous around these parts
Contacting RSSGREG

RSSGREG I have some questions about your plenum but I dont have enough posts yet to IM you. Can you IM me or email me from the contact link on my home page (URL in sig)

Thanks