996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Car totaled, what to do next?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 02:33 PM
Ray S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura about
One of the fastest 996 PCA club racers indicated on Rennlist that his car was no faster after he added an LSD to his 996.

I doubt you would feel any difference as the 996 does not seem to have any problems putting the power down with the open diff.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:02 PM
lilstan is infamous around these parts
I'm sorry to here about your accident and I'm sure everyone here is glad you walked away without any "serious injury". But one the thing I would do in this case, would be to salvage any and all parts that I can and sell them. I mean let's face it, parts aren't cheap and and you might use them on your next car. Why buy parts twice? And for stuff you can't use, sell them on 6 speed.

Old 09-02-2007, 04:52 PM
StuartFirm is infamous around these parts
What ever happened on this situation? My car too was totaled in an incident at the track last weekend.

What value were you finally able to negotiate with the insurance company?

What car did you get to replace yours?

Last edited by StuartFirm; 09-02-2007 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 09-04-2007, 08:37 AM
Teuton is infamous around these parts
I just finished physical therapy 2 weeks ago. Although I'm done with it, I'm not 100% but am at a point where I finally started seriously to look for another car. I'm still pretty sore some days but I have more good days than bad (which is a good thing).

I did get settlement with the insurance company for the car. It wasn't what the car was worth with all of the upgrades but it was close enough for me at that point. I negotiated for over a month with them.

I have not replaced my car yet but I think I'm pretty close. I put an offer down on another 99 with LSD and we'll see if he accepts in a few days. If that goes through, I will begin the build process to replicate my old car over the winter. If I don't get that car, a friend offered to sell me his MY2002 C2 Aero and I'll go with that.

Pete

Old 09-04-2007, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the update. I'm glad you are starting to get back to normal, from a physical standpoint. Remember that it is important to keep up your PT exercises even though the formal PT office visits are over.

I should find out this week whether we are going to call my car a total loss, scrap it and start over, or if we are going to rebuild my same car. The loss will not be covered by insurance, as I do not want my insurance company suing my friend who was driving the car on the track at the time of the incident. My friend has stepped up and said he would do whatever he needed to do to make it right by me.

I had a 1999 C2 Factory Aero with an EVOMS Supercharger, GMG Stage 3 Suspension (including 2 way Motons, Eibach ERS Springs, Adjustable GT3 Sway Bars front and rear, Adjustable Solid Bushings, Dog Bone kit, WC-GT3 control arms, etc.), Lightweight Flywheel, upgraded clutch, SSK, and a plethora of other modifications.

G/L with your recovery (both physical and auto related).

Last edited by StuartFirm; 09-04-2007 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Added additional information
Old 09-04-2007, 08:58 AM
Thanks Stuart,

I have been diligent at maintaining my exercises since the PT and think they are the reason I'm recovering.

What happened in your situation? I'm not sure I read about what happened in your case? I hope everything works out for you. I hope that you where not injured?

Thanks for the kind words,

Pete

Old 09-04-2007, 09:10 AM
No, I was not injured, as I was standing at the fence line watching my friend drive my car around the track at Hallett (a 2.8 mile, 10 turn road course just outside of Tulsa, Oklahoma).

My friend lost control between Turns 7 & 8 (a left-right chicane going over a rise, which sets up for a 90 degree right hander at Turn 9. I just happened to be standing there watching that series of turns. We had run 10 sessions alternating the driving the day before and we had five sessions that day. With the odd number of sessions, I insisted that my friend drive the last session, so he could get more seat time in my car. We had the suspension setup almost perfectly and were trying just one more change to the Motons. He said the car was great on the two laps prior to the wreck.

Anyway, the car left the track surface in Turn 8 at about 75mph, went airborne twice, spun, hit the tire wall and started to barrel roll. If it had not hit the tire wall a second time to arrest the rollover, he would probably would have rolled about 2-3 times. Anyway the car came to rest on its driver's side. My friend (after what seemed like an eternity) managed to crawl out of the passenger's side door, which was facing skyward, while I stared in amazement from the fenceline at the undertray of my car. It was all I could do to not jump the fence and run out to help him out of the car, but the track was still hot with cars and I know better than to run out onto a hot course.

When the car left the track surface, I knew it was a gonner and was, at that point, just hoping my friend wouldn't be hurt in the ensuing carnage. We did not have roll bar or roll cage in the car and were using only standard seat belts and helmets. I'm glad he walked away unscathed without so much as a bruise from the seatbelt. The car unfortunately was not so lucky and I'm afraid will never be the same if I decide to rebuild it. I probably need to just move to a GT3 Cup car and be done with it.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:53 AM
Wow,

I'm glad your friend was not hurt. I hope it all works out for you.

If there is anything I can do to help insurance wise, let me know.

Pete

Old 09-08-2007, 06:49 AM
jlturpin is infamous around these parts
Well, I guess I'll chime in. First off, sorry for your misfortune and injuries.

I am the driver of Jason's wrecked 996. No insurance involved, just cash out of pocket. I have dropped off the car at the body shop for repair and to determine the extent of the structural damage if any and for repair. There is no suspension damage that can be found, just a bunch of bent sheet metal. I have ordered most parts to repair the car and they should start trickeling in over the next few weeks. I was really lucky. Not a single bruise or scratch.

As Jason said, the car was not so lucky. I will do all I can to make this right. The body shop has assured me that it will look like new, I guess time will tell.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:42 AM
Yep, Jonathan is doing right by me. Time will tell what the extent of the damage is, but the 3 week old suspension looks like it came through unscathed. I guess that is why you pay a little extra for GMG (Global Motorsports Group) parts. GMG's suspension parts are worth it in the event of an off road excursion at the track.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:17 PM
Banned
TurboTramp is infamous around these parts
Pete:
Have you considered a new 997? The payments might hurt for awhile, but by the time your back is ready, you might be able to start the mod process all over again. It sounds like you want a very specific car. Why not start with a new one and modify it as finances permit?
Either way, looking for the perfect Porsche is a life experience, enjoy the hunt!
Ric :-)

Old 09-09-2007, 07:55 AM
Originally Posted by TurboTramp
Pete:
Have you considered a new 997? The payments might hurt for awhile, but by the time your back is ready, you might be able to start the mod process all over again. It sounds like you want a very specific car. Why not start with a new one and modify it as finances permit?
Either way, looking for the perfect Porsche is a life experience, enjoy the hunt!
Ric :-)

I have test driven one but they are in limited supply in my area. The local dealers are asking outrageous pricing for them. They are extremely tempting though. My real problem is I'm very particular about what the car has in terms of options and I haven't found one exactly the way I want it, let alone for a decent price (997s are still in the high 60's and up if they don't have stories).

Pete

Old 09-20-2007, 11:42 AM
nitrorocket is infamous around these parts
Glad you are still alive, I cannot believe your car flipped, that is crazy!!

Old 09-24-2007, 01:33 PM
edl
edl is infamous around these parts
Glad to hear that you're okay Pete - sounds like a terrible accident!

I'm dislike the open diffs on my 996TT - the LSD's on my Evo seem to really pull the car through the corner much better. I realize that's not a valid comparison, but just my 0.02.