996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Car totaled, what to do next?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 07:14 AM
Teuton is infamous around these parts
Car totaled, what to do next?

Well,

Unfortunately, due to someone else's carelessness, I am now without my Porsche. To make a long story short, a younger person (perhaps in his early 20's) carelessly made a bad lane change into my car a few weeks ago. His wheel hit my driver-side front wheel and I proceeded to take to the air. When I landed the car in essence bent resulting in a buckle in the roof, rear fender driver side behind door and Passenger side rear fender. Other damage included shattered oilpan, 3 bent or broken control arms (GT3), bent wheels, front fender, drivers door and trunk pan.

The car was officially totaled on Friday and I am now considering what to do for a new (to me) sports car.

To understand fully, my 996 was 1999 with options and mods:
GT3 Control Arms
GT3 Sway bars
GT3 3rd radiator
GT3 Sport seats
B & M Short shift
Lightweight wheels (factory 18inch)
Turbo brakes
Full Aero MK I
Intake
Fabspeed exhaust
LSD
PSS9

As you might have guessed, this car was built for the track by a track hound. I drove it in autocross and did not get the chance to take it to Summit Point (as I was eager this year to do so). This car was far from stock in handling and was just a joy to drive. It was also simple and raw in it's feedback. I have driven an 02 Aero to compare and it has more torque but mine was more fun and sharper in it's responses (even with the MO30 suspension). My old car's setup was extremely neutral and would rotate very quickly if you lifted mid corner. It was very easy to manipulate through a turn.

My question: Will I be disappointed in the at limit handling of a stock 996 with an open diff vs my old car?

I was toying with the idea of waiting until the face lift 997 cars come out (in what I assume is the 08 MY) which would lower the price of the 05-07 997s. Should I consider a 997 C2s? Everything I have read is that they are very good duel use cars (track and daily) Are they better or equivalent to my old car? Or should I look for another track built 996 knowing it maybe a while before I find one?

Any advice is appreciated,

Pete

Last edited by Teuton; 05-30-2007 at 07:28 AM.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:59 AM
I'm still arguing that with the insurance company.

A 996 GT3 sounds fantastic but how is it as a drive to work car on nice days? As I understand it, it's not that comfortable for around town driving.

Pete

Old 05-30-2007, 08:02 AM
porschenut911 is infamous around these parts
I second that, 997s aren't going down much as Porsche is raising prices on '08s.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:06 AM
NIKAS is infamous around these parts
I will be going with a 997 C2S when mine packs it in - the 3.8l engine sounds delicious. You should be able to purchase some of the usable parts from your totalled 996 from your insurance company...cannibalize the GT3 seats, fire extinguisher, B&M SSK...

Old 05-30-2007, 11:35 AM
UCrazyKid is infamous around these partsUCrazyKid is infamous around these parts
drive a 996 GT3 before passing judgement. I think they are perfect for a daily driver... and then I have a 996 with x74 as my DD.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:16 PM
i300zxtt is infamous around these parts
Buy a Turbo.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:15 PM
Exlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud of
Pete, I'm really sorry to hear about this! I'm glad you walked away unhurt?

Old 05-31-2007, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by Exlondoner
Pete, I'm really sorry to hear about this! I'm glad you walked away unhurt?
Unfortunately, I didn't quite walk away unscathed. I sustained back, neck and shoulder injuries (and a mild concussion). The ride on the flatboard in the abulance was interesting though.

I just started with Physical Therapy so it will be a few months before I can really drive a car agressively at an autocross. It's a shame really as my car was so wonderful to drive. I only had 2 chances to drive it at autocross and on the second occasion I felt I was starting to get the hang of it as I came in 2nd in my group and the car had much more potential.

Does anyone think that the newer 996's and 997's aren't as good without and LSD? Can an open diff car be fitted with an LSD?

I guess I should try out the GT3 but at this point, I will need a comfortable car as my back my not allow for an overly stiff ride.

Pete

Old 05-31-2007, 05:46 PM
Brucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to all
what is your price range Pete? I would really lean towards a GT3.. easy to drive around town especially compared to your old car. most people that say it is a pain to drive around town compare it to the turbo or a mercedes lol

Old 06-01-2007, 08:34 AM
You have a point. Right now I'm trying to get "Market" value established with my insurance company. I would say right now my budget would be in the mid 60's for a newer car but I'm also considering older 996's.

I would think that the Gt3 would be in the mid 70's correct? It is hard to resist raising my budget a bit more to perhaps get my hands on a GT3.

One other thing I'm considering is with my back as sensitive as it is now, will the GT3 be to painful. I intend on driving my future car to work in the nicer months (provided it's not raining) and to Autocross and track events. My car was far from stiff, infact the Pss9's provided a fantastic ride. Will the GT3 be the about the same ride quality?

Pete

Old 06-01-2007, 05:46 PM
Brucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to all
a Stock GT3 should be comparable to the setup you had. Go out and test drive one down a road you are familiar with, or I would say go to a local GTG and go for a ride in one with someone.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:00 PM
porschenut911 is infamous around these parts
Pete, sorry to hear about your injuries, get better soon. For mid 60's you can get a nice '05 CS that will be easier on your back than any other 996

Old 06-02-2007, 01:21 AM
flash80 is infamous around these parts
Sorry about your accident, I hope you make a speedy 100% recovery. My M3 was totaled last year. What State Farm did was the following: looked at ads in the local area for what comparable cars were asking, took an average of 10 vehicles and paid me that amount, including tax, adjusting for condition and options. It was painless and I'm sure I got more money than I would have received if I tried to sell it on my own.

For mid-60's I'd go for a 996TT or a 997S. Good luck!

Old 06-05-2007, 10:46 PM
speedread is infamous around these parts
I heard from a back injury person that the GT3 seats were actually much more comfortable than stock 996/997 seats as they held him in a good position, so try the seats even if you don't get the car. I really like mine.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:49 PM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
Pete,
The most important thing, which I'm sure you, your family and your friends all agree, is that you are alright and you were able to walk away from this accident due to the negligence of some village idiot with minimal injuries. Even though the car meant a lot, it can still be replaced and odd how life works, maybe this was for the better b/c now you can build an even better car. I would recommend a C4S 996. Definitely can find one w/in the price range you are looking for from 02-04 with enough room to add some nice upgrades. My buddy is selling his, so let me know if you're interested. He's in McLean, VA.
Berk

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car totaled, what to do next?