996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Good price on an alternator

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 07:33 AM
Ubermensch is infamous around these parts
I purchase a remanufactured bosch unit from advance autoparts. The only tricky part is makin sure that it has the correct pulley attachment. I think I paid just over $300. Lifetime warranty and was a dead match for the stock unit.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:05 AM
PeterK is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dhrecon
Hey guys, anybody thinking of replacing the alternator with any of the aftermarket types should reconsider. I was going to replace the factory alternator with a cheapo but was easily convinced by my mechanic not to.

When we compared the "cheapo" alternator with the Bosch it was a no brainer. I took it right in the jaw and went with the Bosch. Plus Bosch has a 2 year warranty that pays for towing, parts and labor if the alternator ever fails. I ended up paying $890 for the Bosch alternator (list $1200) plus labor. Thats still $890 more than i wanted to pay.

Hmm...oil change, tires, alterantor....im hitting the $2.5K mark on up keep for this year. This is getting more expensive than my girlfriends.
I think paying $800 for an alternator is a pure insanity
Well, I would only pay over $800 if it was guarantee to never break again.
I don't think I've ever experienced an alternator failure on any of my cars in my life. So the fact that porsche alternator has failed could actually indicate that these alternators are of lower quality than say alternators in Honda/Toyota cars. So replacing it with an AZ unit is prolly gonna insure better reliability for the future than going with the OEM unit.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:42 PM
996SC is infamous around these parts
OK, I just received the Autozone Alternator today and I can't find any marking on it that indicate its a Bosch or anything. I have not taken out the OEM alternator yet so nothing to compare it with. Does anyone know where to find it to know it Bosch or not? All I see is that it was remanufactured in Israel...

Old 06-09-2007, 07:06 AM
John Romano is infamous around these parts
My alternator was the first of my problems. And the biggest, most expensive. It was before I got into this board, and before I found my local indy P-car fanatic ace mechanic. So, I took it in the can for $1,500.00 parts and labor at Champion. Lesson learned.

Old 06-09-2007, 06:49 PM
dhrecon is infamous around these parts
The 2 big reasons why i didnt use a re-man, was that it did not have the Bosch clutch located on the pulley wheel "which meant i would have to pull it off the factory one i am replacing".

Second, the cheap no-name brands that are promoted as Bosch re-mans use only the case, but all the other components are from where? Who knows. I figure big tickets items should only be replaced once. Even if it means taking one straight to the jaw.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:21 PM
nine9six is infamous around these partsnine9six is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dhrecon

Do any of you guys know of a good Independant Porsche shop in Orange County? Thanks in advance!
There is this Porsche shop in Huntington Beach, about one or two street down from main street. They seem to be a very reputable shop.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:13 PM
Finally took out the OEM alternator yesterday and compare the Autozone alternator. The two looking exactly the same even to the wire winding inside. The OEM alternator has Bosch label on the back of a plastic piece covering the regulator and the Autozone doesn't. I decide to install it since it only cost $169+tax and it has lifetime warranty. I following the link http://p-car.com/996/diy/sai/mainpage.html for the tear down to get to the alternator and only had a minor problem being the composite plastic coolant interconnector snap and broke top and bottom when I was loosening it to get it out of the way. Luckily dealer have plenty in stock; furthermore, this part has been revision to dash 2 so probably they revise the material since when the part was very brittle when it broke so it probably could not handle last with coolant temperature reaching over 220 degree C for long period of time. Just botton it up yesterday and drove it to work and all warning lights are off and the car run as smooth as before! And the good part is I didn't spend $1200 for just the part!

Old 07-03-2007, 02:04 PM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Glad to hear things worked out for you....

-Eli

Old 07-03-2007, 08:34 PM
CosmosC4S is a jewel in the roughCosmosC4S is a jewel in the roughCosmosC4S is a jewel in the roughCosmosC4S is a jewel in the rough
I just replaced mine about 2 weeks ago.
Bosch rebuilt for $300 (came in a Bosch box),
my dead alternator needs to be shipped to them, of course.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:54 PM
I am just wondering how many miles do you guys have on the car before the alternator failed? I have 74K on mine and it had a bad battery about 65K. I was thinking that it maybe the bad batttery overworked the alternator and it lead to its death. I am just surprise that an alternator should last at least to 100K or more. My 95 Toyota 4 runner had 120K on it and the alternator was still working when I sold it. Just my thoughts...

Old 07-03-2007, 11:45 PM
CosmosC4S is a jewel in the roughCosmosC4S is a jewel in the roughCosmosC4S is a jewel in the roughCosmosC4S is a jewel in the rough
I'm at 81k miles, and I'm not surprised, with Porsche.

I had 2 Bimmers before, one at 98k and the other 120k...both still had original alternators when I sold them

Old 07-04-2007, 05:11 AM
Jeffrie is infamous around these parts
My bimmer has 210K and running on original alternator.
I do regularly keep the destilled water up in the bat (also orginal) to never stress it.
Maybe this is key to making them last.
Even still if you can live without your car for a couple days you can send it to any starter/alternator repair shop who will test it and replace the burn components.
Was quoted 600 for my old Audi for a rebuilt, I ended up paying 50 bucks to get the burnt diode replaced instead.

Last edited by Jeffrie; 07-04-2007 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:18 AM
Tool Pants is infamous around these parts
Did the Autozone alternator come with the pulley or did you have to swap yours?

Old 07-04-2007, 11:27 AM
dhrecon is infamous around these parts
When a battery is drained or is low the biggest strain on the alternator is charging the battery. I drive my pcar only on the weekends and sometimes once a month. Now that i know how sensitive porsche components are, i make it a point to drive or start the car atleast one a week.

D

Old 07-04-2007, 05:39 PM
PeterK is infamous around these parts
If you don't drive it often, keep the car on a trickle charger!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Good price on an alternator