996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Good price on an alternator

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 09:06 PM
996SC is infamous around these parts
The Autozone alternator comes with a brand new pulley so no need to swap the old one. I would say the by inspection that the quality of the remanufactured alternator is excellent. Hope that the performance matches how it looks.

Last edited by 996SC; 07-04-2007 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:59 PM
Tool Pants is infamous around these parts
At the Autozone site the alternator part number for a 1999 C4 is 13455. Price is $162.23, with a $105 core charge. There is no notation about the pulley. I take it that is the one you bought.

For my 1997 Boxster the Autozone part number is 12093. Price is $224.91, with a $90 core. There is a notation that the pulley is not included.

Then I looked in PET and the Porsche part number is 996 603 012 01, for your car and my car. So, per PET, both our cars use the same alternator.

Strange that Autozone does not list the same part number and with and without the pulley for both cars. And the nerve of Autozone to charge poor Boxster owners more money and it does not even come with the pulley.

If my Boxster alternator ever goes out I am going to get one from a 1999 996.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:43 AM
Actually, there were couples of alternator options when I called them up and later when I got there (the one on Monterey off of Blossom Hill) that they told me this was the only one that they can order so you probably need to go in there to order it when you need one. I will keep you guys posted if this thing failed before I trade my in for a GT3.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:25 PM
rlim is infamous around these parts
In my research for a replacement alternator my 99 C2, I discovered there are 2 alternators available ... one for p-car with tiptronic and the other for manual tranny... different part # and price.

I went to Autozone and Advance Auto parts yesterday seeking relacement alternator for my 99 C2 w/tiptronic, I asked the sales person if their 12093 alternator for tiptronic or manual transmission. They couldn't tell base on the 12093 part # which both places use. Autozone sells them for $225.48 + $75 core.

Tool Pants, 996 SC
Did the Autozone alternator fit okay? Do you have tips or manual tranny?

I'm would like to see if it'll fit my car before I purchase it...

Thanks

Old 01-13-2008, 07:11 AM
asifallasleep is infamous around these parts
well i have an 03 c2 and i was told by my guy at formula motorsports (they advertise on this site as well) that the aftermarket alternators are no good. he said certain parts you dont want to dick around with and the alternator is one. i dunno, but i paid $1300 for the part and installation. Dhrecon, i need to count my receipts, but for 2006 i think i have you beat on what i've paid on repairs: oil and filter change, engine misfiring on 3 cylinders (set me back about $800 alone), plugs, ignition coils, pirelli snowsports, front brakes, alternator, oil pressure gauge, body work from accident!! i think that's it. my car is a daily driver with about 60K on it. How reliable are these cars as the milegae piles up. I mean should i being preparing for anything else? yikes. what's the story with shocks, water pump, clutch.....how many miles assuming you are a good driver before these things start to go.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:26 AM
Mother is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 996SC
The Autozone alternator comes with a brand new pulley so no need to swap the old one. I would say the by inspection that the quality of the remanufactured alternator is excellent. Hope that the performance matches how it looks.
Just curious is the alt still working and what voltage are you reading at idle.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:34 PM
Yes, still working great. No issues at all. And if it ever failed then it's back by Autozone lifetime warranty so I am not even have to think about it. BTW, I don't work for Autozone! I think the reading is above 12 VDC (~between 13 to 14VDC) when it idling; however, I don't know what is the accuracy of the voltage guage.

As an EE by trade, I have heard alot of things about electronics components and if there is a price different in order of magnitude then there must be something fishy about it and I have never encounter any power supply related components to have that price range. The only different I could think of is how much time is spent on testing the unit and I don't think either/any company use Mil standard on testing their alternator. I would never pay more than what I paid; but if you insist on forking out another grand for the same thing then that would be your prerogative to do so....

Last edited by 996SC; 01-14-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:11 PM
Ubermensch is infamous around these parts
I agree with the above. I've had my alternator in for just over a year with no issues. When it's charging, the meter in the car is reading right around 14V. The unit I purchased from Advanced came with a spec sheet and a release test results sheet showing it's charging capability. I have no doubt that it's a capable unit. And the lifetime warranty is a nice insurance policy.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:02 PM
rlim is infamous around these parts
Yes, still working great. No issues at all. And if it ever failed then it's back by Autozone lifetime warranty so I am not even have to think about it. BTW, I don't work for Autozone! I think the reading is above 12 VDC (~between 13 to 14VDC) when it idling; however, I don't know what is the accuracy of the voltage guage.

As an EE by trade, I have heard alot of things about electronics components and if there is a price different in order of magnitude then there must be something fishy about it and I have never encounter any power supply relatated components to have that price range. The only different I could think of if how much time is spent on testing the unit and I don't think either/any company use Mil standard on testing their alternator. I would never pay more than what I paid; but if you insist on forking out another grand for the same thing then that would be your prerogative to do so....
--------------------------------------------------------
996SC, is you tranny manual or tiptronic? I have a tip and I'm unsure if the Autozone replacement will fit. Thanks

Old 01-14-2008, 02:39 PM
Sorry Rlim, my car is manual.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:14 PM

As an EE by trade, I have heard alot of things about electronics components and if there is a price different in order of magnitude then there must be something fishy about it and I have never encounter any power supply related components to have that price range. The only different I could think of is how much time is spent on testing the unit and I don't think either/any company use Mil standard on testing their alternator. I would never pay more than what I paid; but if you insist on forking out another grand for the same thing then that would be your prerogative to do so....
It's nice that the alt is still working and producing good voltage at idel. My experience in the past on some lifetime warrenty's is that it just does not make up for the time it takes to change if it goes out all the time on some rebuilt products.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:20 AM
smistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond repute
anybody got a DIY for alternator removal? Is it relatively easy?

Old 02-10-2008, 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by smistry007
anybody got a DIY for alternator removal? Is it relatively easy?
Easy if mechanically inclined.

http://p-car.com/996/diy/sai/mainpage.html

Old 02-18-2008, 09:17 AM
smistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond repute
couple more questions:

how can you differentiate between a bad alternator and a bad voltage regulator?

is the voltage regulator part of the alternator such that when you swap alternators, the regulator gets changed?

any body have the part number for the voltage regulator?

Thanks

Sameer

Old 02-18-2008, 07:28 PM
hblocal is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by nine9six
There is this Porsche shop in Huntington Beach, about one or two street down from main street. They seem to be a very reputable shop.

Yep I used to live right by there in HB. Good guys and reputable.

http://www.pristinemotorsports.com/

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Good price on an alternator