996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Need advice on suspension-

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 01:06 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
My stock shocks had 29K on them when I pulled them off. No leaks, working as they should and they sucked. The stock shocks are manufactured by Boge.

The ride you are describing in your original post is exactly what my car rode like until I swapped out the suspension. (float, body roll, harsh, noisey)

I guess suspension quality is all relative. It depends on what you came from . I had been driving a S2000 for the previous 5 years and it was head and shoulders above the stock carrera suspension.

The difference between M030 and ROW M030 is simply ride height. The ROW sits ~10mm lower.

We get into this arguement here all the time, but I will just state my opinion. The PSS9 is a great system, but for your interest I think it is overkill. Yes they are adjustible, but it doesn't sound like you are going to be doing any tracking. The PSS9 will cost about $2000 plus install with ride height, and corner balancing and you still don't have swaybars with it. The ROW M030 kit comes with new springs, shocks, swaybars and bushings for ~$1100. Installation does not require corner balancing. The trade off is that it is not adjustible. But seriously how often are you going to pull out your subwoofer and pull up the carpet to get to the rear adjusters? Or pull out your torx driver set to remove the plastic covers over your front struts to adjust the them?

All a matter of personal preference I supose. Whatever route you choose you will be amazed how your Porsche will be transformed by changing the suspension. It is possible to get superior handling without sacraficing ride quality.
nice post- thanks!

Old 06-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
I'd get the PSS9s

Old 06-06-2007, 01:40 PM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
That was a great post. I've been waiting so long for that kind of a post. I'd like to also thank Tom Kerr for a great explanation/validation of what I went with. I did the H&R Spring set up for now just to go a little lower. I don't track the car (even though I should the way I drive on the highways sometimes), and things have been fine so far. A lot stiffer and can feel the bump stops being hit sometimes, but for the most part, I'll wear out the shocks then go for something else. Just a thought, might be something to consider if not the ROW seems like the best option.

Originally Posted by p0rsch3
nice post- thanks!

Old 06-06-2007, 05:00 PM
delirium is infamous around these parts
i also feel unconfident w/ the stock suspension, but i daily drive a BMW E46 with eibach pro kit and racing dynamics sway bars, and I am very confident w/ that car!! I have PSS9's sitting in my garage for 1 yr. i need to put them on, just cant decide whether to get sway bars to go w/ them or not...

Old 06-06-2007, 05:16 PM
UCrazyKid is infamous around these partsUCrazyKid is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by delirium
I have PSS9's sitting in my garage for 1 yr. i need to put them on, just cant decide whether to get sway bars to go w/ them or not...
Put them on. You can add the bars later. They are easy to put on and don't require an alignment. Do the PSS9 and if it's not enough go ahead an do the bars.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:25 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by delirium
i also feel unconfident w/ the stock suspension, but i daily drive a BMW E46 with eibach pro kit and racing dynamics sway bars, and I am very confident w/ that car!! I have PSS9's sitting in my garage for 1 yr. i need to put them on, just cant decide whether to get sway bars to go w/ them or not...
I can help you with that desicion- Just send the PSS9's to my house and i'll let you know whether sways are needed or not... PM me for my shipping address.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:08 PM
speedread is infamous around these parts
For those who track your car, adjustment does matter a lot, even if you only adjust occasionally, and the corner ballance really helps. I DO understand not tracking, but for us track hounds, getting the ballance just right is where it's at. To each their own.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:22 PM
todye4 is infamous around these parts
I love my PSS9 setup, handling and ride...what a world of difference from the stock suspension.

I went with PSS9s because it was just in case I had buyers remorse, kind of like the three bears...too hard, too soft and just right.

But it's just a matter of preference.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:56 AM
Great info all- This is going to be a tough choice. Designing primarily for the street and drives up through the twisties on weekends, plus adding a touch of high-speed stability. Lower is better as well-

so what about the other 'popular' brands of coilovers such as Tein, JIC and Ksport?
I think the ksports come with 6kg front / 12kg rear springs.

Anyone have experiences using them?

Old 06-07-2007, 04:23 AM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by p0rsch3
Great info all- This is going to be a tough choice. Designing primarily for the street and drives up through the twisties on weekends, plus adding a touch of high-speed stability. Lower is better as well-

so what about the other 'popular' brands of coilovers such as Tein, JIC and Ksport?
I think the ksports come with 6kg front / 12kg rear springs.

Anyone have experiences using them?
If not tracking, overkill IMHO

Old 06-07-2007, 08:09 AM
Was checking, the KSport Coilovers can be found for $1200 shipped, and you can specify the front / rear spring rates at time of order. They seem nice, but have found no pcar owner opinions on using them.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:44 AM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
Why go for KSports? POS.

PSS9s, done. X74 if you don't mind the lack of adjustability.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
Why go for KSports? POS.

PSS9s, done. X74 if you don't mind the lack of adjustability.
Came across the other brands (some of which are carried on sponsoring sites) and was curious of the diff's / opinions is all...

Old 06-07-2007, 11:17 AM
UCrazyKid is infamous around these partsUCrazyKid is infamous around these parts
Cheap shocks, coilover, whatever are just that cheap. The problems you are having with your stock suspension will just turn into different problems. Sure your car may be lower, it might even hold the road better, but the ride will be harsh, noisey, and the shocks will probably start leaking in not too long.

Bilsteins cost more because they have a lot of technology built into them. The valving, montube design, piston size, etc. A cheap coilover will always have compromises. If you want to keep cost down and go simple just consider a set of Bilstien Sport shocks and H&R springs.

To answer your question about other popular brands of coilovers that are reliable: H&R, Moton, Penske, KW V3, etc.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:29 AM
ELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by speedread
I love it stiff, while my wife doesn't.
Did you really need to share that?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need advice on suspension-