996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Previous M3 owner ready to jump into a 996...few questions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 02:02 PM
speedread is infamous around these parts
C2 hands down best. Get the latest engine you can afford. (GT3 strongly prefered for the engine and dry sump). My 3.4 destroyed itself by allowing coolant into the engine. I've instructed with C2; C4 and M3 (and GT3) on the track. The stability management for the M3 is somewhat more intrusive. Drive the Porsche C2 well enough and it doesn't kick in; lets you 7% slide for best grip (and further if you want), but will save you if you really screw up, (unless your in a "perfect" 4 wheel drift into a wall). (Don't ask me how I know). The C2 has plenty of all you need, even in the snow with snow tires, it's really fun. Then again if you need a real back seat, and don't mind a little less road feel through your seat and feet....M3.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:04 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 05997S
That is a fine looking automobile.

Is that Natural leather I see?
Yep

Old 06-08-2007, 11:49 PM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
Superpimpalicious indeed!

Old 06-09-2007, 12:48 AM
schnazzy is infamous around these parts
first let me say to REDRIDGE, "Holly crap that interior is awesome!" I am not normally a fan of anything but dove grey or pure black for an interior but the GT3 seats set it off.

Secondly, to REDRIDGE again, my notes show that the C4 is WAY more than 110lb more than a C2. Maybe I am wrong. Explicitly on the 2003 996, the C2 is 2959 and the C4 is 3240 which in my math is more like 281lb or about 10% more weight. The Turbo is 3388 which is 429lb more than a C2. You can easily drop the C2 to 2880lb (est) with a light battery, gt3 seats, aftermarket exhaust and taking out the rear seats.
Add an exhaust and a K/N air cold air intake for about $1100 (combined) you (could) get a 12% hp increase (315bhp * 1.12 = 352.8).

hp to weight ratio (2003)
C2 with exhaust and cold air (est hp) and some minor weight reduction (est)
353bhp at 2880 = 8.158

Turbo (stock)
415bhp at 3388 = 8.163

I am not saying that doing this will allow you to beat or meet a totally stock turbo. Although I would also point out that turbo's have more drag, especially with the wing, and they have turbo lag. Also turbo has much more potetial for total HP, but just saying... for a few grand you are at turbo's power to weight ratio if you get a C2.

The C4 widebody is sexy though.

Last edited by schnazzy; 06-09-2007 at 12:50 AM.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:27 AM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi

The M3 has the perfect proportions (E46). It doesn't need an aerokit like the 911 does. It just needs to be lowered on bigger wheels. Post up a pic of your Porsche 911. There will be a good number of people who would say the M3 is better looking than the 911 esp the narrowbodies. Yes, the 911 does turn a lot more heads for crazy badge loving reason.

But, again, I went from an M3 to a 911. This one:

I don't ever roll stock.
You have to remember that looks are simply subjective and many people convince themselves that a more exotic car (...and I do not consider a Pcar exotic.....nor a Bimmer) looks better because of what badge is on the hood.

I think the E46 is phenominal looking and looks better than any narrow body Pcar. The Pcar has to have a rear wing of some kind otherwise the *** looks sooo droopy. Once again, my SUBJECTIVE opinion.

The interior in an '03-'06 E46 is considerably better than the Pcar.

I have never driven a narrow body Pcar but I do own an '03 996tt and owned an '01 E46..........and for all around performance/style/appearance/daily driver comfort/road noise/etc. the E46 is damn near unbeatable.

Last edited by amerlemans; 06-09-2007 at 05:34 AM.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:17 AM
Renoir is infamous around these parts
Redridge....

WOW!! You're interior is incredible!!

Old 06-09-2007, 08:32 AM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by amerlemans
You have to remember that looks are simply subjective and many people convince themselves that a more exotic car (...and I do not consider a Pcar exotic.....nor a Bimmer) looks better because of what badge is on the hood.

I think the E46 is phenominal looking and looks better than any narrow body Pcar. The Pcar has to have a rear wing of some kind otherwise the *** looks sooo droopy. Once again, my SUBJECTIVE opinion.

The interior in an '03-'06 E46 is considerably better than the Pcar.

I have never driven a narrow body Pcar but I do own an '03 996tt and owned an '01 E46..........and for all around performance/style/appearance/daily driver comfort/road noise/etc. the E46 is damn near unbeatable.
I completely agree with you 100000% along all fronts except the one about the interior. The base interior on the 911 even the 997 I don't like much at all. But then you start checking off those boxes... the 911 even the 996 looks much flashier and sportier than the M3 will EVER be.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:01 AM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
I completely agree with you 100000% along all fronts except the one about the interior. The base interior on the 911 even the 997 I don't like much at all. But then you start checking off those boxes... the 911 even the 996 looks much flashier and sportier than the M3 will EVER be.

gotta disagree...I'll take this anyday of the week over ^^^^^^^^

Just tap on the top of the dashboard of the 996...even the $126K 996tt....it is hard as a rock and feels cheap.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:13 AM
Banned
Mine's not hard as it has full leather which the M3 never had and won't ever have.

The M3 in the photo is flattering. Once you sit inside, it's not much diff than your 330i. Plus the driving position is also very commuter sedanish... which is is based off.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:21 AM
Banned
Mine's not hard as it has full leather which the M3 never had and won't ever have.

The M3 in the photo is flattering. Once you sit inside, it's not much diff than your 330i. Plus the driving position is also very commuter sedanish... which is is based off.
If that is yours in the picture, that is not full leather. That looks just like mine which is not full leather and is hard as hell.

My 996tt interior is NO different than a regular 996....although it cost a helluva lot more.

I'm just telling you my opinion of owning an '01 M3 and now owning a 996 Pcar (albeit a turbo) and the M car has a better interior and is more modern looking. Here is mine

Last edited by amerlemans; 06-09-2007 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:32 AM
Banned
It is full leather and yes that is my car. I come from an M3 and I know the differences. Agree to disagree, bud. The M3 interior is nice, but not as nice as a well optioned 996 interior and yours isn't a well optioned 996 interior.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:39 AM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future

The M3 has the perfect proportions (E46). It doesn't need an aerokit like the 911 does. It just needs to be lowered on bigger wheels. Post up a pic of your Porsche 911. There will be a good number of people who would say the M3 is better looking than the 911 esp the narrowbodies. Yes, the 911 does turn a lot more heads for crazy badge loving reason.

But, again, I went from an M3 to a 911. This one:

I don't ever roll stock.
to be completely honest, a c2 coupe or C4s coupe i think stock for stock, look better than an m3, hands down. not many of us do roll stock.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:44 AM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Redridge
Yep

WOW! no other word but stunning can be used to describe that gorgeous interior.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:54 AM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
This is funny. I had an M3 ZCP with Premium and while I agree it was a nice interior, I would take a full leather 996 over it in a heartbeat. The quality of leather is great and smells fantastic especially if you have natural or natural gray or added pieces like the steering wheel or center console etc.

My Cayman is a pretty basic car but has leather sport seats and 6K in Makassar wood treatment that really pulls together nicely. The cool thing is that it is nice, but its exclusive, prolly not many guys will spec a 60K Cayman S with 6K in exclusive wood trim so unlikely I will run across another one just like it. Same with the 911, full leather and exclusive treatments set it apart and make it unique, not something you see a lot in M3's.

Thats why I dig redridge's car, really cool options, not likely to run across another C2 with 5K-8K in natural leather and wood treatment. Even if you don't like it, its unique.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:57 AM
Banned
Yes, totally agree 05. A barebones 911 interior doesn't stand up to the barebones M3 interior because the M3... you pretty much get the same thing in every car. But the 911 can be optioned out to easily surpass the interior of the M3 such is the case with my car and others in this very thread.

I still think the M3 on the outside, badges aside, is a better looking car out of the box than the 996/997.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Previous M3 owner ready to jump into a 996...few questions...