996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

JICs and GT3 sway bars installed!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 10:18 AM
996Flatsix is infamous around these parts
You'll notice they're much stiffer than the M030 or stock - on bad roads they are a bit rough, but overall, I still have all my teeth - again, if you're going from stock to this, it's a big change, but I would say that if you do a lot of track days, its worth a little harsher ride. If not, then you may want to put softer springs on...for the money, though, the JIC set up is top notch.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:26 AM
Mitchell Sack is infamous around these parts
I have 7/11 on my 04' C4S and I'm very happy. not to stiff, and in fact, they feel more comfortable than the stock suspension. The lowered ride height transforms the way the car handles. Before the car felt as if it was standing on its tippy toes while cornering. Initial steering input would cause the car to stand up even taller. Now the car feels planted and turn in is much more direct.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:49 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the input guys- I have coilovers now, and need to do a swap-out for different ones. The stock suspension was just plain horrible.

Do the JIC's come with 8/12 and the other springs are special order / pay to swap for different ones / what's the deal.
Also, are they linear springs, progressive or semi-progressive, and do they come with the front adjustable swaybar links or will I need to plan on buying a set?

[EDIT] - I found out the JICs are a linear spring.

Last edited by p0rsch3; 09-22-2007 at 12:26 AM.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:24 AM
auto-xr is infamous around these parts
Arrow

Originally Posted by p0rsch3
Thanks for the input guys- I have coilovers now, and need to do a swap-out for different ones. The stock suspension was just plain horrible.

Do the JIC's come with 8/12 and the other springs are special order / pay to swap for different ones / what's the deal.
Also, are they linear springs, progressive or semi-progressive, and do they come with the front adjustable swaybar links or will I need to plan on buying a set?

[EDIT] - I found out the JICs are a linear spring.
You can customize or stick with one of thier preset packages. They don't come with swaybars or links. You can do a search for my write up for more details : )

Last edited by auto-xr; 09-22-2007 at 01:26 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-22-2007, 01:29 AM
Search on rennlist.

Old 09-22-2007, 01:41 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by auto-xr
You can customize or stick with one of thier preset packages. They don't come with swaybars or links. You can do a search for my write up for more details : )
Thanks, i'll have a look. For the record I did not think that they came with swaybars....

Old 09-28-2007, 01:20 PM
NIKAS is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up

[quote=auto-xr;1345975]Here's a follow up. I went to Thunder Hill this past Friday, and have to come this conclusion. I love this new configuration!

Here's one of my track videos from the last session of the day.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...35143116&hl=en
quote]

Nice video!

Old 09-28-2007, 03:33 PM
CLS
CLS is infamous around these partsCLS is infamous around these parts
I have a 2001 C4 with PSS9s and H&R sway-bars running 18" PS2 tires and like you I had custom alignment corner balance and align the car. I have the PSS9s set a level 7 front and rear the Sway bars front and back are set middle and car height set to ROW, with the same 1% rake front to back.

I have done three DE events this year Laguna Seca, Thunderhill and Sears Point. Each one a little different in the demands on the car. Sears Point was perfect I felt well balanced throughout.

Thunderhill again the car hooked up great on the flat slight off camber high speed turns.

Sears Point was the first time I felt the car could have used stiffer springs I could feel the compression and wiggle mosly going through turn 1 and turn 6.

I would like to put the car on more of diet before I buy beefier springs but in the end I think that is going to be the answer.

Old 09-28-2007, 05:40 PM
I have only been to Reno Fernly and Thunder Hill so far. I plan to hit Laguna and Sears Point (after getting more experience) some time next year. When I do, I will write up my experience. There is a great gt3 weight reduction thread on rennlist. A lot of which is applicable to our cars. In addition, there is a great thread on the effects of unsprung weight there. I believe going lighter is preferable to compensating for weight so that will be my route. Lighter wheels, exhuast, hood, seats, battery, etc... are all on my list.

Last edited by auto-xr; 09-30-2007 at 10:30 AM. Reason: correction
Old 09-28-2007, 11:16 PM
CLS
I've done the exhaust, seats, but I am having the GMG roll bar installed so that will add weight but worth it to have the 6 point harness.

I am trying to locate some used in good shape hollow spoke wheels to mount track tires to. I had my car corner balanced without the spare and 1/2 tank of gas and it was running 3200. I would love to hit the 3000 mark. I also did the RSS Phleum which with the GAIC flash and EVO air intake the car moves!

Maybe I'll see you at one of the DE events HOD or TrackMasters are great the later more advanced group of drivers I think.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:57 AM
How much weight did you manage to trim with the things you've done so far?

Old 09-29-2007, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by CLS
I've done the exhaust, seats, but I am having the GMG roll bar installed so that will add weight but worth it to have the 6 point harness.

I am trying to locate some used in good shape hollow spoke wheels to mount track tires to. I had my car corner balanced without the spare and 1/2 tank of gas and it was running 3200. I would love to hit the 3000 mark. I also did the RSS Phleum which with the GAIC flash and EVO air intake the car moves!

Maybe I'll see you at one of the DE events HOD or TrackMasters are great the later more advanced group of drivers I think.
I found some 993 hollow spokes on ebay. Look for item # 290162974172

Old 09-29-2007, 08:55 PM
CLS
I'll find out how much weight I have lost when I go for my next set of tires, three track days and the PS2 are gone, I want Custom Alignment to put a little more negative camber in an check the corner balance.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:57 PM
CLS
Originally Posted by auto-xr
I found some 993 hollow spokes on ebay. Look for item # 290162974172
I am always concerned will the offset work with the 996 model years? Do you know?

Old 09-30-2007, 09:09 AM
With a 8" ET50 F and 10" ET65 R, 15mm spacers can be put all around. This will put the wheels flush with the fenders. The spacers drop the F to ET35 and the R to ET50. Increasing the width will add the exta width to each side equally so the offset will need to be adjusted accodingly (up). I don't remember the specifications of the 993 hollow spokes but if the fit with what I mentioned above, they should work. One other thing, I have heard talk of hollow spokes bending out of shape so that would be something to investigate. The 02 5 spokes are as light or lighter (21#'s F and 23#'s R if I remember right).

Last edited by auto-xr; 10-06-2007 at 04:59 AM. Reason: correction