996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Wife got a ticket for speeding...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 12:44 PM
blacknight is infamous around these parts
Unhappy Wife got a ticket for speeding...

in a 45 zone doing 65. Cop said he got her with radar but did not provide proof. He told her to fight it in court! My question is does the cop need to provide proof (printout and such)? Or is it his words against her in court? Any one has experience in this? Thanks.

Old 04-07-2004, 12:51 PM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
I got caught by radar, fought it and won.

Were there any other cars around going in either direction? If there were it is possible for the radar to track another car. That was my case. I asked the officer in front of the judge if it was possible that since a radar gun does not lock onto a particular target that he could have tracked another car by mistake. His answer was YES, it's possible. Then I said to the judge there were many other cars around going in both directions, he looked to the officer and asked him to check his report and the officer noted there were other vehicles in the area.

That was one reason the case was dismissed. The other was I said it was impossible for me to go that fast from a stop light to where I got caught unless I really tried. I got caught doing 55mph in a 35mph.

Tell you wife to write notes on every detail she can, the more detailed the better. The color/make of the other cars around, time of day, weather, everything...

NEVER ADMIT YOU WENT OVER THE LIMIT, not even by 1mph.

Old 04-07-2004, 12:58 PM
Fanman is infamous around these parts
You can also try the calibration trick. The radar gun has to be calibrated after a certain # of uses. They have to provide documentation that it was calibrated correctly at the time of use.

Old 04-07-2004, 01:03 PM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
I sat in court all day and all of the radar cases had correctly calibrated guns with documentation.

One person actually summoned the offcial person who calibrates in Redwood City. needless to say, he lost.

Last edited by Itzkirb; 04-07-2004 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:38 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Itzkirb
I got caught by radar, fought it and won.

Were there any other cars around going in either direction? If there were it is possible for the radar to track another car. That was my case. I asked the officer in front of the judge if it was possible that since a radar gun does not lock onto a particular target that he could have tracked another car by mistake. His answer was YES, it's possible. Then I said to the judge there were many other cars around going in both directions, he looked to the officer and asked him to check his report and the officer noted there were other vehicles in the area.

That was one reason the case was dismissed. The other was I said it was impossible for me to go that fast from a stop light to where I got caught unless I really tried. I got caught doing 55mph in a 35mph.

Tell you wife to write notes on every detail she can, the more detailed the better. The color/make of the other cars around, time of day, weather, everything...

NEVER ADMIT YOU WENT OVER THE LIMIT, not even by 1mph.
Kirby, you're hired. For all my future speed infractions....

Old 04-07-2004, 02:19 PM
Haha, Alex I wouldn't know where to start to defend your 500+ Ghetto Monster! haha

uh, gee your Honor his car only has 500+ HP, he couldn't possibly be speeding.

Hey, did you get a chance to call Getty Designs?

Old 04-07-2004, 05:33 PM
Cool996 is a jewel in the roughCool996 is a jewel in the roughCool996 is a jewel in the roughCool996 is a jewel in the rough
Check her ticket, if it was a radar ticket he is supposed to put the serial # of the gun used on it.

One of my criminal justice professors told us about the calibration trick also, he said that they were supposed to be calibrated every 3 months but never are.

Without proof of which gun he used, you may be able to get off with that.

Old 04-08-2004, 02:05 AM
safetywork is infamous around these parts
Not sure if this would work but I understand that X,K, and Ka bands vary in width of the signal. X band works on 2 laned highways while the others (k and Ka) bands are narrower and can thus be used to better "aim" at a specific vehicle. In any case, radar works best with the the traffic running on two lanes (in one direction). If there are more than 2 lanes, the signal could have come from other targets.

Hopefully your wife didn't make the officer feel like she's going to fight it. If she did, there's a good chance the officer will take better notes.

Old 04-08-2004, 11:18 AM
blacknight is infamous around these parts
Hey guys, the wife said thank you.

What online driving school do you recommend just in case she decides not to fight it?

safetywork, I did not see you on our last meet. Are you going to CC on the 17th?