996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

GT3 side skirts issue....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 09:26 PM
Lizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of light
GT3 side skirts issue....

the car has the GT3 aerokit retrofitted to it and looks great but noticed that the side skirts do not sit flush with the car. They can easily pushed up against the side of the car like they should be but just don't hold there. You could fit a credit card or two in the gap between the skirt and the car.

On my previous 996, I also retrofitted the GT3 aerokit but everything looked great - didn't have this issue. But this car I just bought from FL. I'm thinking there may be some double-sided adhesive "tape" that I could use - I dunno - is there something in the retrofit kit that should've been put on to prevent this or does this happen a lot? Trying to figure out if it's something I can do or need to run by a high-end bodyshop....

Thanks for any help!

Old 06-18-2007, 11:57 AM
Ray S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura about
The skirts are secured with double sided tape along their length. If you can fit a credit card down the side your double sided tape has gone bad.

You probably need to remove the skirts and replace the tape.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:00 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Is this the car that was on E-bay? (Artic Silver)

Old 06-18-2007, 12:22 PM
adybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the rough
how about the snap screws on the bottom of the skirt, make sure they are pushed all the way towards the center of the car

Old 06-18-2007, 12:57 PM
Lizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by LUISGT3
Is this the car that was on E-bay? (Artic Silver)
no - this is a GR from Ft Lauderdale

Old 06-18-2007, 01:00 PM
here is a pic of what i'm talking about. i inspected the "crack" a little more closely and see that the adhesive is coming apart. any idea on where i can get more adhesive stripping???

Old 06-18-2007, 01:16 PM
mountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to behold
What year is your car? Mine is 99 and had the same problem. Some of the kits did not get installed with a double sided tape. Porsche has a part that is more of a metal channel on the top side of the skirt that the skirt snaps into. I had to replace the channel as it was spreading. Fixed the problem and the part was like $50 a side. Not really a big deal to fix after we realized that it was a channel not tape.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by mountainC4
What year is your car?
it's a 2003. i can see where the tape is coming apart. where the gaps are, there is not any tape and I can start to extend the gap down the car by separating the adhesive. looks like whatever bodyshop put the kit on just did a shoddy job. also noticed a couple of runs in the paint on the underside of the front bumper cover so i'm sure they did that too

Old 06-18-2007, 07:29 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
call suncoast, there is an adhesive kit that replaces that.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:36 AM
CoreyNJ is infamous around these parts
What year is your car? Mine is 99 and had the same problem. Some of the kits did not get installed with a double sided tape. Porsche has a part that is more of a metal channel on the top side of the skirt that the skirt snaps into. I had to replace the channel as it was spreading. Fixed the problem and the part was like $50 a side. Not really a big deal to fix after we realized that it was a channel not tape.
What do you mean channel? I have factory skirts and one side is doing exactly the same on my car....

Old 06-19-2007, 01:23 PM
mountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to beholdmountainC4 is a splendid one to behold
Instead of the double sided tape holding the skirt it holds a metal channel that the skirt snaps in to. Basically a v shaped piece of metal. The metal fatigued over time and there was a gap on top of the skirt. Hope that makes sense, seems to be on the early areo kits

Old 06-19-2007, 02:59 PM
CoreyNJ is infamous around these parts
I have a 2003, so no channel just doublesided tape.

BTW, how do you remove the old tape without removing the paint.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:33 AM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
The early kits MKI not MKII came with hardware which included the metal stip which needs to be DRILLED into the rocker panel and then the skirts slips on top. Yes, it was a nice ride but required drilling and only came on the early 99-01 models.

-Eli

Old 06-20-2007, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by CoreyNJ
BTW, how do you remove the old tape without removing the paint.
the tape should definitely not remove the paint - is it on your car???