996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

DIY Scraped Rear wheels repair

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 09:34 AM
citybythebay is infamous around these parts
DIY Scraped Rear wheels repair

Bummer. I hit the curb while parallel parking yesterday and I scraped my rear right wheel. It's not deep enough and I think it can be covered by painting over it. Has anybody done a similar one before? I have the regular 18" wheels. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:51 AM
zdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud of
like this......

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=80

might to register to access.

good luck.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:25 AM
thanks zdr2k, i'll give it a shot. I think the scrape is twice as long as the one in the photo. I probably could have minimized the damage if the darn radio was off...oh well.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:12 PM
porschenut911 is infamous around these parts
Dupi Color 501 "Galaxy Silver" is an exact match to the OEM 18" wheels. If you're using the spray version of it, make sure to mask everything including anything you don't want to be silver in your garage. Those metallic particles travel a mile and stick to anything like superglue.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:49 PM
Who sells it?

Old 06-20-2007, 07:06 PM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Best if you can sand it down deep enough to hit the base, once you get this deep you'll know the paint will bond. Clear coating will also increase the durability of the finished wheel.

Good Luck!

-Eli

Old 06-20-2007, 08:41 PM
phaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond repute
this should help you out a little bit http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/w...uff-repair.htm. although the url says bmw, is actually on a porsche wheel. is a great guide and i have used it, except that i used the wrong paint so now i have a swath of mismatched paint on a wheel that i need to go fix. oh well.

edit: the renntech link above is the same as this one.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:49 PM
phaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond repute
for those who have used the dupli color, did you use duplicolor clear coat as well? primer? i used some brand of automotive spray clear coat on my failed attempt and it really screwed up my wheel's finish, it looks somewhat dirty and spotty except it is not dirty, but just appears that way from some property of the clear coat. it won't scrub off. any opinions?

Old 06-20-2007, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by citybythebay
Who sells it?
Pepboys, autozone.......yes you need clear coat for a perfect match. I'd go with pen for a small scuff.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by phaphaphooey
for those who have used the dupli color, did you use duplicolor clear coat as well? primer? i used some brand of automotive spray clear coat on my failed attempt and it really screwed up my wheel's finish, it looks somewhat dirty and spotty except it is not dirty, but just appears that way from some property of the clear coat. it won't scrub off. any opinions?
1. too humid
2. didn't clean it well
3. sand it down with 1200 grit and respray.
4. I wouldn't use spray unless I tried it before, always go with the pen. If it needs spray take it to a shop, they'll refinish it for $100 a wheel (cheaper than DIY).

Old 06-20-2007, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by FastForwardwheels
Best if you can sand it down deep enough to hit the base, once you get this deep you'll know the paint will bond. Clear coating will also increase the durability of the finished wheel.

Good Luck!

-Eli
Agree 100%.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:12 AM
tweety is infamous around these parts
There is a place here in Houston that is where the dealers send their rim repairs to. Locally it is called IMC Automotive Services 713-266-7239.
You can see their site as www.wheelcrafters.com
The place is a little hole in the wall shop but I found that this is where the local p-car shop sends their stuff so I went in with both rear rims and curb rash worse than the example found for the DIY.
I don't know how they did the repair but I can't find where they did it. It's THAT good and they back it up, assuming that the wheel sees normal usage!
Some older white dude owns the place but you will want to talk to and deal with "Hugo".
My repairs being local and a drop off were 125/rim and took maybe 3 days because he had other work in front of me.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:58 AM
yizzung is infamous around these parts
Old 06-21-2007, 12:30 PM
I appreciate all the info. I'll have a weekend project ahead of me. Thanks.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by porschenut911
1. too humid
2. didn't clean it well
3. sand it down with 1200 grit and respray.
4. I wouldn't use spray unless I tried it before, always go with the pen. If it needs spray take it to a shop, they'll refinish it for $100 a wheel (cheaper than DIY).
hmm i followed all of the instructions except for that is was very hot and humid that day. so if i were to sand it back down, the pen would be the better route to go this time? additionally, what should i do about my screwed up clear coat as most of the area affected by it is the area surrounding my repaint that was flawless, orginal paint.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY Scraped Rear wheels repair