996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Installed 02 GT3 lip spoiler on OEM 996 C2 bumper

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 10:39 AM
Doc_Porsche is infamous around these partsDoc_Porsche is infamous around these parts
all write up should look like this.....

Old 02-20-2008, 10:58 AM
Botsy67 is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jstgermaine
Bored is an understatement today! I've been waiting on my travel info for three days now...I leave tomorrow! Gotta love the corporate run around.

Back to the topic. I purchased a few of these from a small OE supplier. The damage at the time was $145ish each. I don't know if they still have these available though, as they are the GT3 Cup front splitter versus the smaller GT3 Street. The street version they do have, and I think those are just under $100.

They aren't a sponsor here so I won't link to them.
I have the stock "smaller" front GT3 lip but I would be interrested to see how the GT3 cup front splitter look like. Do you have a picture of your car with this larget lip and could you post it here if possible, that would be great, thanks. My car is also dark blue like yours so that would be great comparison. Thanks a lot Man...

Old 02-20-2008, 11:02 AM
jstgermaine is infamous around these parts
Post #32 in this thread shows the pictures as installed on my non-aero front end. The only difference between the cup and the street versions is the cup hangs down .5" more in the middle than the street.

Not a huge difference.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:07 AM
Here are a couple of additional pictures of the GT3 splitter on a non Aeor front end. If you look closely, you can see it:

Name:  DSC02432.jpg
Views: 1999
Size:  136.5 KB

Name:  DSC02333.jpg
Views: 1894
Size:  94.6 KB

Old 02-20-2008, 11:18 AM
Botsy67 is infamous around these parts
Looks great, thanks again for taking the time and post some pics of your car. My car has the exact same dark blue color, cool. The only difference is that I have installed the GT3 front bumper that includes a smaller front lip, barely noticeable, but I may replace it with yours when I scrap/destroy my current one on some driveways or bump-stops. Thanks again, cheers...

Old 02-20-2008, 03:35 PM
YoopsRacing is infamous around these parts
I like this mod for a stock 996. I wonder if it would look stupid on a silver car though...anyone done it? Any pics

Old 02-20-2008, 04:32 PM
A good friend of mine has a Seal Grey 996 and did this mod the same time I did. It's hardly noticable unless you are almost eye level with the bumper.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:20 AM
Liv2Drive is infamous around these parts
Nice to see the new posts and pics on my thread (yeah it's me p0rsch3 - my usual account is broken here and i gave up on waiting for it to be fixed).

I racked up quite a bit of miles with the GT3 lip installed and it really made a difference in stability at speed. Unfortunately some @$$hole in an SUV backed into my bumper and destroyed it, so I figured it a good time to buy a GT3 RS bumper (thank you insurance money!).

Bonus, I took the lip off my damaged bumper and bolted it right up to the GT3 bumper

jstgermaine- meant to ask you, do you notice much of a difference at speed with the smaller lip?
It looks nice, very unobtrusive and subtle enhancement. And probably does not scrape everything like mine does.. hehe

Last edited by Liv2Drive; 02-22-2008 at 02:26 AM.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:54 AM
Yep, quite a difference in stability at speed. I track this car often and the floaty feeling I had when heading down some straights is pretty much gone.

I'm sure it will be even better this spring when I put my Aero front bumper on with this splitter.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:26 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
So do you think this is a viable alternative to installing a GT3 bumper? I have the same floaty feel at higher speeds and thought my only real choice was the bumper replacement. My fear with the lip is scraping and how long it would last. I already experience scraping with the stock bumper since my car is lowered.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:39 AM
It helps, that I can attest to. It won't be as stable as the full Aero kitted 996, but it gives you more confidence at speed.

I started this quest for stability by first lowering the car and aligning with just springs. Better but not quite there.

I then installed the H&R RSS Clubsport Coil overs and aligned and corner balnced the car...better than the springs alone...but not quite perfect.

I then installed the splitter...better yet, but I know that a full Aero bumper and wing will get me where I want to be.

I don't scrape anywhere, but I do take extra care when entering or exiting a parking lot or driveway.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:48 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
I have PSS9's and it's corner balanced. It took a while to figure out how to back out of my driveway just perfect to not scrape. The lip would probably make it impossible. I guess I could raise the car 1/2". I just don't like the lack of confidence at high speed. Maybe I'll try the lip.

I always appreciate the work guys do here in blazing trails for the rest us.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:01 AM
On a 2002+ 996 like yours, you could use the MKII splitter which doesn't hang down as much as the MKI, but prjects forward more. Like the pictures p0rsch3 posted on page 1.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:17 AM
Originally Posted by deckman
I have PSS9's and it's corner balanced. It took a while to figure out how to back out of my driveway just perfect to not scrape. The lip would probably make it impossible. I guess I could raise the car 1/2". I just don't like the lack of confidence at high speed. Maybe I'll try the lip.

I always appreciate the work guys do here in blazing trails for the rest us.
Morning guys- Always love starting the day off with pcar talk

My car is lowered on KW Variant III's and it's pretty common to scrape on steep driveway approaches and exits. I learned to always approach at a 45 degree angle, so it's overall not too inconvenient. I'd say I have a 1-finger gap between wheels and fender to give you a reference.

jstgermaine- That's awesome you're getting a nice benefit from the smaller lip, it's amazing what a small piece of plastic will do for aerodynamics eh?

deckman- I'd have to say hands down the best upgrade for stability and overall driveability on my car has been installing the KWVIII's. I don't know how the heck they designed these things but they take hard street bumps like an OEM setup and perform like a track setup. They use a progressive spring instead of linear so I'm sure that helps.

I have them set at (rear) 3 bump / 5 rebound and (front) 5 bump and 7 rebound for my daily driving, if I'm going to be hitting the hills / twisties or high speeds I drop the rebound two notches to 3 rear and 5 front. Car is damn stable as fast as I care to take it.
To give you an idea of the adjustment range- On full firm bump / full firm damping front/rear you'll swear your car is directly conected to the pavement (expect a lot of power sliding of the hear... heh), and on full soft you'll find it cushy with a hint of better control than OEM. So you can really dial in your preferred ride. After 5k miles on them I'm completely blown away by these coilovers, and I'm not easily impressed. Downside is the bump is hard to adjust since it's on the bottom of each shock, so jacking is required. Rebound is on the top of the shock.

I could probably lose the lip now without too much affect (since I have the entire GT3 front) but I like how aggressive it looks.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:00 AM
here's a couple of pics I took two weeks ago. Apologies for the poor lighting angle-
I wanted to post this so deckman could get a reference for how low my car is with the lip, and my cars lowered height. The lip height was the same when I had it on the stock bumper.
As you can see the lip is pretty durable, i've scraped it a bunch of times and it does not show wear. Be advised it makes a god-awful noise when it scrapes hard, I've literally had people jump up and poke their heads out of doors because it sounds like something is being ripped off the car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installed 02 GT3 lip spoiler on OEM 996 C2 bumper