996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Installed 02 GT3 lip spoiler on OEM 996 C2 bumper

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 04:18 PM
CS Jeff is infamous around these parts
p0rsch3... my dealer can't get the original part number to pull up in their system. He gave me the following: 555-996-90. He says that it's the splitter from the Cup cars. Do you know if that will work? Is that the part that Dervish used above? Thanks.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:44 AM
Dervish is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by CS Jeff
p0rsch3... my dealer can't get the original part number to pull up in their system. He gave me the following: 555-996-90. He says that it's the splitter from the Cup cars. Do you know if that will work? Is that the part that Dervish used above? Thanks.

Mine is the GT3 Cup lip spolier with a slightly different part number, 996.505.986.91 or 996.505.936.91 (the 4th to last number is quite hard to read from the bottom of the part)
According to Gert at Carnewal "The Cup chin spoiler is bigger than the GT3 lip and creates more downforce" Apparently the angle of the lip is greater on the Cup lip and the ends don't taper in like they do on the GT3 lip so sticks out more on the edges, you can see this from comparing p0rsch3's pics and mine.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:49 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Jeff- Look on page 1 / post 1 of this thread and you'll see the part number and dealer I ordered it from (Photo of invoice). If one dealer can get it, any should. Some parts departments are not as good as others I guess .

Old 05-08-2008, 12:22 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
GMG has the right one for $175 http://www.gmgracing.com/porsche_aero.shtml
scroll 1/2 way down the page and you'll see it. 996 GT3 Cup Front Splitter

Old 05-08-2008, 04:09 PM
I used the number right off your invoice, but they say it no longer comes up in their system. My parts guy says that the part he shows (555-996-90 - Splitter) is the one for 996 Cup cars also, and i can get it for $115. I guess I'll go look on his system and see what it looks like, but the pricing is excellent if that one will work for me.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:49 AM
That's way cheap- just be sure it is the full big cup lip for 02+ cars and not the small mini-lip for pre-02 cars. Maybe email the parts guy a pic of my car from this thread so he can verify.
GMG's price for the correct one is pretty good if the dealer does not work out.

Dervish is spot on with his description of the cup lip.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:09 AM
I just sent him some pics. I may go down there and look on their computer to see if i can tell a difference in the parts (if they have exploded drawings). It looks like there is a -90, -91, -92, etc. Thanks.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:23 AM
Jeff you could always call the place I bought mine and ask for the correct info, they should be able to clarify. contact info on page1

Old 05-09-2008, 09:48 AM
Ok... good idea!

Old 05-27-2008, 02:04 PM
VIP C4 is infamous around these parts
I remember seeing some ghetto lip made for a garage door seal from the Impreza forum. It looks just like this lip here =P
http://www.dirtyimpreza.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=3032

Oh I think they pay like $12...its some flexible rubber material that looks like they never crack. I personally do not approve such ghetto act on a P-car but will be interested to see whos brave enough to do haha.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:42 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
ghetto doesn't discriminate - i've seen plenty of 911s online with plenty of ghetto mods on it

Old 05-28-2008, 01:20 PM
perryinva is infamous around these parts
I think those HD lips look pretty good. I just wonder if they are stiff enough to have any aero benefit. The underside of my current bumper cover is totally trashed, so I have nothing to lose in trying it. Then at least I'll know if it is worth it at all with a new bumper cover!

Old 05-28-2008, 01:39 PM
The cup lip is stiff enough to provide noticeable downforce. As soon as I installed it and took a spin over 90mph, my front end was noticieably firmer. Whereas before the lip with the stock bumper it felt very "light" at high speeds.

I'm sure you can find a variety of matierials to fabricate a front lip on the cheap, but remember it has to hold up to some fairly strong downforce. You don't want to be like the budget ricer crowd with a front lip flapping in the wind and trunk mounted pep-boys wing bobbing up and down like a dashboard puppy... LOL

Old 05-28-2008, 03:23 PM
VIP C4 is infamous around these parts
I really doubt it has any noticeable aero benefits with just a small little plastic piece. Are you sure this is not just a "psychological downforce" you are feeling? In order to lift the entire front end at you said 90 mph, it requires almost the same amount of force to keep it down. I just cant see how this small plastic piece holding down by screws into the botton of another soft plastic front bumper can provide any noticeable down force. If it was bolted down to a chassis or any kind of frame, then ok maybe it will work. Just imagine jacking up the car and you holding on to this lip trying to keep it down.
Anyways, as long as you like it that’s all matters. I think this is more for the look then anything technical here unless you have a wind tunnel test that shows improvement. But hey, what do I know hehe

Last edited by VIP C4; 05-28-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:44 PM
VIP- I highly suggest that you try it out before offering an uninformed and speculative opinion. I don't have time to waste with taking photos and typing DIY articles about psychological improvements, if I had put it on and it did nothing but look cool I'd have said so.

If you are going to reference my posts, reference them correctly. I did not state that the front end was lifting without the cup lip, I stated the front end felt lighter at speed. Keep in mind, this was also with stock suspension which does not provide adequate damping at high speed. Adding the cup lip did make a very noticeable difference with keeping the front from feeling light, which could be due to less air being allowed under the car vs. actually pushing down on the car. Upgrading suspension later, lowering and adding the GT3 bumper made an additional improvement. Considering the low cost and easy labor involved, this is a definite good aerodynamic improvment for any stock 996 bumper.

By your thinking, the Turbo or GT3 bumpers do nothing to improve aerodynamics either correct? You could always call PNA and hash this out with them directly.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installed 02 GT3 lip spoiler on OEM 996 C2 bumper