996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Installed 02 GT3 lip spoiler on OEM 996 C2 bumper

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 04:45 PM
racesx is infamous around these parts
Could it be an "areo" advantage and not a "down force" advantage that's helping the car stay better "planted" to the road? I could see a small plastic "air dam" changing air flow and helping out ....... my $.02

Old 05-28-2008, 06:01 PM
auto-xr is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by p0rsch3
VIP- I highly suggest that you try it out before offering an uninformed and speculative opinion. I don't have time to waste with taking photos and typing DIY articles about psychological improvements, if I had put it on and it did nothing but look cool I'd have said so.

If you are going to reference my posts, reference them correctly. I did not state that the front end was lifting without the cup lip, I stated the front end felt lighter at speed. Keep in mind, this was also with stock suspension which does not provide adequate damping at high speed. Adding the cup lip did make a very noticeable difference with keeping the front from feeling light, which could be due to less air being allowed under the car vs. actually pushing down on the car. Upgrading suspension later, lowering and adding the GT3 bumper made an additional improvement. Considering the low cost and easy labor involved, this is a definite good aerodynamic improvment for any stock 996 bumper.

By your thinking, the Turbo or GT3 bumpers do nothing to improve aerodynamics either correct? You could always call PNA and hash this out with them directly.
Agreed. At Thunder Hill approaching turn 1 at 110+ mph before the lip (MK1 aero lip), the car was floaty and unstable. Not a good feeling at that speed coming in on a turn. It was also the same case at Reno Fernley approaching the first set of esses at 115+ mph. This past weekend I took the car to Reno Fernley and the car was rock solid going into the first set of esses. That's enough proof for me that the lip works.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:40 PM
VIP C4 is infamous around these parts
hahaha okok, I am sorry if I offended you. Just coz I am in the industry of making high performance products. Whatever we claim that will be improved (theoretically) , customer will believe it and buy it...even without any testing data to back ourselves up. Sorry, its just my bad habit to doubt everything I see or read unless I tested them myself. If you feel that it makes a difference...be happy with it and enjoy it while money is already spent.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:00 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by VIP C4
I really doubt it has any noticeable aero benefits with just a small little plastic piece. Are you sure this is not just a "psychological downforce" you are feeling? In order to lift the entire front end at you said 90 mph, it requires almost the same amount of force to keep it down. I just cant see how this small plastic piece holding down by screws into the botton of another soft plastic front bumper can provide any noticeable down force. If it was bolted down to a chassis or any kind of frame, then ok maybe it will work. Just imagine jacking up the car and you holding on to this lip trying to keep it down.
Anyways, as long as you like it that’s all matters. I think this is more for the look then anything technical here unless you have a wind tunnel test that shows improvement. But hey, what do I know hehe
lololloloolololo i feel you dog... i'm like listening to some of these dudes online talking about downforce and **** while rollin their 911s down the public fwy.... man i'm too damn busy with the lady in the passenger side or chillin to music to even begin to think about no aero downforce effect.. LLLLOOOLOLOLLL

i just think it looks better and if these downforce guys like it hey why the fuq not?

nerds are everywhere! wahahahhaa j/k

Old 05-28-2008, 09:01 PM
contigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant future
Click image for larger version

Name:	01 Blue Gemballa Nose (1).jpg
Views:	15
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	70573
Do you think it will fit on mine?

Old 05-28-2008, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
lololloloolololo i feel you dog... i'm like listening to some of these dudes online talking about downforce and **** while rollin their 911s down the public fwy.... man i'm too damn busy with the lady in the passenger side or chillin to music to even begin to think about no aero downforce effect.. LLLLOOOLOLOLLL

i just think it looks better and if these downforce guys like it hey why the fuq not?

nerds are everywhere! wahahahhaa j/k
hey u never know how much faster my mercedes felt after i slap some AMG badge on the back of my trunk and my 325i felt like a rocket after i put the notorious ///M logo in front of it. Wuahahaha.

Okay, i really didnt mean it, I just couldn't help it. LOL

Last edited by VIP C4; 05-28-2008 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:29 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
^ Not offended- Just annoyed because you have no direct experience relating to this thread to share a real opinion, and based on having a job in the dubious performance parts industry you think that all factory Porsche aerodynamic body parts are in the same "non tested" category. I just find this thinking to be silly, especially when you see these same parts used on professional track pcars. Maybe they just stick them on because it looks cool?? Hmm..

But hey enough of this- to each his own I guess.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:32 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think it will fit on mine?
Ha! I don't think you need it! look at that monster molded-in lip, looks good as-is. I think the cup lip might actually hit the ground since your bumper is so low.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:02 AM
Dervish is infamous around these parts
I'm with p0rsch3 on this. I experienced a much more planted front end after installing. If you actually see and hold the part you'd understand why. It's not just some aftermarket flimsy plastic stick on. The lip extends quite far at a large angle tapering off to the edges. Why would Porsche even manufacture this product and apply it to ALL their cup cars if there were no improvements, surely not to add weight and looks...
Before I'd feel the front end getting lighter around the 110-120 mark and now I'm at 130 with no such impression. This is no placebo effect. I'm pretty sure it will help at 'The Ring' in 8 weeks time.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by Dervish
I'm with p0rsch3 on this. I experienced a much more planted front end after installing. If you actually see and hold the part you'd understand why. It's not just some aftermarket flimsy plastic stick on. The lip extends quite far at a large angle tapering off to the edges. Why would Porsche even manufacture this product and apply it to ALL their cup cars if there were no improvements, surely not to add weight and looks...
Before I'd feel the front end getting lighter around the 110-120 mark and now I'm at 130 with no such impression. This is no placebo effect. I'm pretty sure it will help at 'The Ring' in 8 weeks time.
Don't forget one thing, racing is nothing but a big advertisement for a manufacturer. They have to put their products on every cup cars just because thats the market strategy. Typically anything thats put on anything that has to do with racing, will sell no matter what. Maybe it does help, but with tons of other upgrades (hey not on a stock everything + just a plastic lip ok). I work for a company who has its own race team and who has claimed 7 consecutive National Championship so don't question me about the racing program.

I am not going to agree whether or not this lip works on their race car, but definitely not on a daily driven stock production car. Come on, if $200 can buy you something that makes ur car go rock solid into turns, all you idiots who spent thousands of dollars on suspensions and body kit should just hang yourself.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:13 AM
graffix000 is infamous around these parts
wow, that looks good! The price is right too!

Old 05-29-2008, 03:35 PM
Apex944 is infamous around these parts
Pardon me for not reading each page but who has the best prices currently on these parts?

- Bill

Old 05-29-2008, 05:09 PM
zdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud of
sunset.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:46 AM
perryinva is infamous around these parts
While I'd never claim to be any kind of aerodynamic expert, I wouldn't ever think that the downforce caused by the lip has ANYTHING to do with the air pulling down on the lip and actually pulling down on the front of the car. How insane to think that. The lip needs to be attached firmly enough to not pull off due to the resistance it encounters from the mass of air hitting it at speed, plus any reasonable foreign objects. The pupose of an aero aid is ...to...AID...the...airflow! By channeling it in a way that directs the air to a location that does not provide any front end lift, would be the objective, and how I would assume it works. I can not say either way whether this lip actually works or not, but from past similar examples, I would expect it to do just as the track users have claimed. When any auto maker changes the shape of underbodies, or front ends for less drag andless lift, noone of those parts are pulling down onthe car..they just direct airflow in sucha way that there is more net negative pressure under the car.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:03 AM
zdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud of
yep, your last sentence is right on.

Similiar to an aircraft wing, ailerons do not move the wing, they change the air flow around the wing therefore changing pressure above and below the wing. The end result is up-force or down-force depending on what the pilot needs to do (right, left, up, down, etc).

I would think this is the way spoilers on cars work, front or rear. It would make sense these front spoilers (dams) cause an increase of air pressure above the hood of the car by changing the airflow around the car.

jorge

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installed 02 GT3 lip spoiler on OEM 996 C2 bumper