996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Blinking overheat light when temperature is normal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 02:49 PM
Banned
DimNSlow has a spectacular aura aboutDimNSlow has a spectacular aura aboutDimNSlow has a spectacular aura about
Update: just went downstairs and saw a small puddle underneath the driver's side mufflers - looks like I'm definitely coming in for the repair.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:24 PM
Scottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond repute
You know, this is actually not that tough of a repair job as a diy. Its a bit of a pain moving stuff out of the way and getting the pesky hose clamps off, and then wiggling the old tank out of the way and the new tank in, but it is not that bad. There are a number of threads on renntech that I used as a reference when I did mine. Good luck.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:32 PM
Banned
DimNSlow has a spectacular aura aboutDimNSlow has a spectacular aura aboutDimNSlow has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Scottslaw
You know, this is actually not that tough of a repair job as a diy. Its a bit of a pain moving stuff out of the way and getting the pesky hose clamps off, and then wiggling the old tank out of the way and the new tank in, but it is not that bad. There are a number of threads on renntech that I used as a reference when I did mine. Good luck.
Thanks for the vote of confidence Scott - though you missed out my debacle on my headlight tray... I am not nearly as mechanically inclined as I need to be for a DIY so I am leaving it to the professionals.

If the job isn't too bad - I would think the dealer shouldn't have too much problem getting it done efficiently and quickly.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:56 PM
Scottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, the shop will have you up and running in no time. And no, dropping the engine is not necessary, although I've heard it makes it a bit easier to access everything. I've had to replace a coolant tank in my old boxster s (much harder to access in the boxster), and my c2. Good luck.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:16 PM
Brian Haske is infamous around these partsBrian Haske is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Scottslaw
Yeah, the shop will have you up and running in no time. And no, dropping the engine is not necessary, although I've heard it makes it a bit easier to access everything. I've had to replace a coolant tank in my old boxster s (much harder to access in the boxster), and my c2. Good luck.

This is true, but if you want, I can take the motor out jk

Old 07-11-2007, 06:17 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Brian Haske
If you do that I may as well leave my car there! The bill will be more than how much my car is worth!

Old 07-11-2007, 06:28 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
those and maf's
Settle down

Old 07-11-2007, 06:29 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DimNSlow
Sharky - if that's true, what else should they look into installing while it's out?
Tell them to swap the injectors out and then we can slap on the SC in no time

Old 07-11-2007, 09:08 PM
Banned
Oh yeah - there's this weird creaking sound coming from the front of the car too - esp when I start rolling from a stop... I guess my car will be at Carlsen for a while.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:39 PM
This is seriously eating into your PSS9 and Tubi fund lol!

Old 07-11-2007, 11:16 PM
AsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the rough
the cost for my expansion tank replace and install with all genuine Porsche parts and coolant was about $600.

Sooo...FWIW you can take that number with you as a gauge. Good luck!

Old 07-12-2007, 08:15 AM
Brian Haske is infamous around these partsBrian Haske is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by sharkster
Tell them to swap the injectors out and then we can slap on the SC in no time

aww hell, lets just install a LS1 like the civette Porsheette

Old 07-12-2007, 08:55 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by AsianImage
the cost for my expansion tank replace and install with all genuine Porsche parts and coolant was about $600.

Sooo...FWIW you can take that number with you as a gauge. Good luck!
Haske - so I'm expecting my repair to be cheaper

Dang - owning this car is like having to take care of an old dog. I feel like I'm taking it to the vet all the time.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:00 AM
Banned
True that.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:45 PM
Banned
Haske - forgot to tell you. Tell the tech he can fill free to fill up the coolant with the gallon I bought to keep the car going until I got to Carlsen.

I have no idea what to do with it after you guys fix the expansion tank.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Blinking overheat light when temperature is normal