996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 shift knob removal/disassembly how-to

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 04:58 PM
drsmeal is infamous around these parts
996 shift **** removal/disassembly how-to

This is an archive type post - I just happened to be repainting the silver portion of my shift **** and glove compartment/side door storage silver bits to remove dings from rings.

1. Remove shifter by pulling up firmly until shift boot is taut.
2. Shift boot is held to center console by little clips that give when pried up by fingertips.
3. The two piece silver painted plastic and clear "inlaid" 6-speed diagram (oval on very top of shift ****) will come loose from leather covered portion of shift **** by GENTLE prying with a screwdriver. Be very careful not to mar the leather and work all the way around the silver piece as it has six long plastic "legs" that basically stick into the leather covered shaft.
4. The oval 6-speed shift diagram is attached to the larger silver piece by a two sided tape that again can be undone with gentle prying.
5. After disassembly you should have three pieces:
Leather covered shift **** and boot
Silver painted plastic piece
Oval 6-speed shift diagram
6. The silver piece can then be stripped to the black plastic with paint thinner and light sanding with a 600 weight sandpaper.

The key is that none of these pieces is held togather with screws and it all comes apart without damage if done carefully and patiently.
I had a quote of $300 to repaint the silver bits in my cockpit but I've gotten them all looking just as good as when brand new for about $6 (Wal-Mart arctic silver auto paint and generic clear coat, $3 each)

Old 08-10-2003, 06:20 PM
drsmeal is infamous around these parts
Here's a picture of the disassembled pieces of the 996 shifter.

Attached Images