996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

extended warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 11:41 PM
cmont295 is infamous around these parts
extended warranty

I need help finding a good extended warranty for my 04 c4s cab??
Anyone have any experience with these types of warranties? Price, coverage?

thanks in advance

Old 07-12-2007, 10:29 AM
UCrazyKid is infamous around these partsUCrazyKid is infamous around these parts
Where are you located? That makes a difference. I have the full coverage from warrantydirect.com and have been happy with it. It always get high marks when reviewed. I suggest you look for an "exclusionary" warranty, that way you know up front exactly what is NOT covered by the warranty. Price well very by car, year, coverage, and lenght of coverage. expect to pay between $1500 and $5,000 depending. Do a search, it has been covered here a lot. Also check at forums.rennlist.com and search there, it has been covered there even more.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:59 AM
cmont295 is infamous around these parts
thanks for the information, I am located in So cal. Any company that you recommend here in So Cal?

Old 07-12-2007, 12:30 PM
UCrazyKid is infamous around these partsUCrazyKid is infamous around these parts
by being in California your choices are very limited. California regulates the aftermarket warranty business. This is good for us, because the companies have to be pretty well backed to be able to offer services. This makes them less likely to go bankrupt. When I got my warranty last December warrantydirect.com was the only game in town. Last I heard they had a moratorium on policys in California but were in the process of getting there California license renewed. Check their website and give them a call to check the progress.
As far as I currently know, they are the only ones offering extended warranties in California. This DOES NOT include dealerships that offer CPO. In that case the selling dealer has to stand behind their warranty so they are allowed to sell without regulation. I do not think however that there are dealers willing to sell a warranty if you did not buy the car from them.
Hopefully others can chime in here if I am wrong or their are new companies offering warranties in California. Do some general web searches on this. There are definitely some companies out there that you want to avoid.

Andy

Old 07-12-2007, 05:44 PM
bruceinmiami is infamous around these parts
just purchased one this week. 4 years 100k miles, transferable, bumper to bumper coverage except for wear items, $100 deductible, $2,300.

www.warrantysolutions.com, found them through www.bbb.com, good conflict resolution record, backed by a large global insurer, and they're local to me (though this isn't really a priority).

Old 07-12-2007, 07:47 PM
Ronny is infamous around these parts
Mine was quite expensive. $3500 for bumper to bumper 3 years 36K. However, it's the company Ruf Auto Centre uses, so I went with them.

Do extended warranty prices increase with age? Mine was a 2000.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Irksome is infamous around these parts
I got my 2003 996 C2 with 9k miles covered with an extended warranty in So Cal from Universal (now owned by Zurich). In So Cal, pretty much your only option is to go with warranties sold by dealers. I shopped the dealers in my area, and found two different options, chose Universal because it was an 'exclusion' warranty, which means if it is not called out as excluded, it's covered.

$3884 for 50k.

At least in California you don't need to worry about the company going out of business. =)