996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Double Din Stereo Feedback

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 05:30 PM
Mother is infamous around these parts
Double Din Stereo Feedback

OK OK, I know I should be getting my car tuned and have decided to use FVD tune at home software. I am getting side tracked alittle I went down and finally looked at some Double Din Stereos, and I do like the easy menu system, color matching (Screen and buttons), fit and finish of the of the pioneer PIONEER AVIC-D3 but it did not have HD Radio ready. How far out does the Kenwood sit out from the dash they did not have one? The Eclipse 6610, Eclipse 5510, Alpine (front would not open) and others were not for me but did like the 5V outputs of the Eclipse 6610 *Could not figure out how to open the D**n thing". Just looking for feedback on some others everyone has used. My main concern is the SQ and HD Radio.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:49 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Go Kenwood...8019 has 5V output.....Great NAV, HD radio, best iPod integration (audio and video), Sat radio, and....etc.....it sits flush and will actually tilt when you start the car so you can see, you set the angle.....Pioneer does not have the same sound quality....

Old 08-13-2007, 07:08 PM
flash80 is infamous around these parts
I have a Kenwood DNX7100--great unit but only 2V pre-outs. I wanted an all-in-one unit. The Ipod interface is fantastic and the interface is quite easy to use. Garmin nav is a snap to use.

But, for SQ, I'd have to give it to Eclipse. They make outstanding decks, I'm sure the 8019 is a great unit too (also has 5V pre-outs).

If you're after SQ, the Pioneer is probably not the best--possibly the Z-2, but I haven't played with it enough to know. I had a Premier P1R in my old car--great old school unit, the time alignment and stuff was very cool. I can only imagine how sweet the new Premier P9 is. Pioneer definitely makes some high SQ units. I'm positive the P9 is better than anything that Kenwood has put out. Of course, none of these are double din.

You can easily make the Kenwood sit flush with the dash, just depends on the install.

good luck!

Last edited by flash80; 08-13-2007 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:47 PM
Kenwoods

Thanks for the suggestions I am going to have to see a Kenwood the 8019 and hope the learning curve is less then the Eclipse, I even had trouble getting out of the Nav screen and had to call someone the external buttons where texted, but so small I could not see what they said on them. One reason for changing from my beloved Alpines is that they just look so aftermarket. Any of you guys have a picture of the best matching of button and screen colors to match your car interior? I have picked up a Alpine amp pdx 4.100 and plan to use either morel, focal or Hertz components up front and since I do not have door speakers just using the rear stock components and maybe add a sub somewhere. I did notice with the 8019 that it has "System E's+ Crossover with Selectable High-Pass & Low-Pass Filters" can I use these as crossovers for components and toss the passive crossovers that come with the components?

Last edited by Mother; 08-13-2007 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:54 PM
Hmm

Originally Posted by flash80
You can easily make the Kenwood sit flush with the dash, just depends on the install.

good luck!
So am I correct by saying that I would make my own trim piece to make it fit flush?

Old 08-13-2007, 11:53 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mother
So am I correct by saying that I would make my own trim piece to make it fit flush?
That is correct-
+1 for the Kenwood units, the UI is pretty easy to use. The 8019 looks really nice, I give high marks for the 7100.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:56 AM
flash80 is infamous around these parts
My 7100 came with a trim piece. I just had to cut the outside to make it sit in the horseshoe correctly.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:14 PM
Observations so far: Went and looked at a demo kenwood older 6019 (they had the 7100 but just in box) and forgot my cd. They gave me a video music DVD and did notice that the kenwood did not display a list of music on the DVD, all I could do is use the forward and back buttons, the pioneer did show me a list with video images. I did like the black piano finish on the kenwood. Maybe the 7100-7015, 7019 or 8019 units are different. The kenwood does show a list of music on a regular cd right! I'll try again tomorrow with my CD. Hopefully I will find better place tomorrow that has better personnel training then my dog has.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:57 PM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
Yea the kenwood is the way to go, I was such a big Pioneer fan..good product.. but I love everything that the Kenwood does...Mine was installed flush, I am trying to find someone that can do the trim piece outof carbon.

Hosted on Fotki

Last edited by kilrgt; 08-14-2007 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:38 PM
Color matching

Originally Posted by kilrgt
Yea the kenwood is the way to go, I was such a big Pioneer fan..good product.. but I love everything that the Kenwood does...Mine was installed flush, I am trying to find someone that can do the trim piece outof carbon.

Hosted on Fotki
Kilgrt looks nice, I would like to match the temp colors below. I would like to see what it looked like with this background and buttons to match. Most of the kenwoods I have seen have the blue background. Here is a pict I found on another thread that someone posted but never saw it uploaded to there unit with buttons that match. Sorry but had to play around in your car.

Last edited by Mother; 08-14-2007 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:47 PM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
^^^^ Thats awsome! I saw that pic and downloaded it.now i just got to get it on the head unit....Thanks that looks great!

Old 08-15-2007, 02:53 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Kilgrt looks nice, I would like to match the temp colors below. I would like to see what it looked like with this background and buttons to match. Most of the kenwoods I have seen have the blue background. Here is a pict I found on another thread that someone posted but never saw it uploaded to there unit with buttons that match. Sorry but had to play around in your car.
The kenwood buttons are blue, but there is only a few of them. I am looking into possibility of changing the surface-mount LED's to orange, which would be sharp.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:11 PM
Kilgrt I think you can put it on your SD card and upload to your unit. If it works please post pics. Good Luck

I still having trouble locating a Kenwood to see it in action but did see some more pioneers Z2 and others the Panasonic had a nice color of yellow background and buttons to match which matched the lights in the car but none of there units where hooked up to play? This is getting rediculous.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:34 PM
Amber lights

Originally Posted by p0rsch3
The kenwood buttons are blue, but there is only a few of them. I am looking into possibility of changing the surface-mount LED's to orange, which would be sharp.
Sounds like a fun project, I know someone on a bimmer forum changed out his lights on his NAC Deck, but it was more extensive then yours, it had more buttons. Now if you can integrate the readout from a Durametric scanner onto the screen and clear the CEL lights you are my GURU.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:28 PM
Thought you might find this interesting. Cayman setup

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/gallery/de...ehicle_id=2459

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Double Din Stereo Feedback