996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 headlights are yellowing...PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 06:22 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
boxstergirl.... ive never seen so many avatar changes in one week

Old 08-19-2007, 06:31 PM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
hahaha! i know. i can't help it! couldn't decide which one to use! the one that is on now was from a 6speed drive yesterday! a friend took it and said that i should use it! i couldn't resist! you know, it's almost like posting my family album online! haha! keep watching! you'll see more! =D

Old 08-20-2007, 08:50 AM
rlim is infamous around these parts
My 99 C2 headlights were quite tarnished and yellowed when I bought the car 3 months ago. I was prepared to replace the headlights but decided to search the web and seek alternative. Most suggested wet-sanding and polishing the lamps with headlight restorer product. In my situation, I decided to try Blue Magic Headlight Lens Restorer. I decided to try it and the result was satisfying.

Items required:
- 1500 and 2000 grit wet sandpaper
- Blue Magic Headlight Lens Restorer. There is another product from Maguire … I believe Plastic X

Below are steps I took to refinish them. However, please keep in mind that what I did are for severe tarnish and yellowing. In most cases, you may not have to wet sand your headlights.

- Start with 1500 grit wet sandpaper. Ensure your headlight is wet and sand them in circular motion. Sand throughout the lamp and keep wetting the paper. You’ll find the water becomes cloudy as you sand. Keep at it until the cloudiness disappears.
- Next move to 2000 grit wet sand paper. Follow the procedure above. Again, keep the sandpaper wet at all times.
- Rinse the headlights and dry them. Do not get alarm when your headlight looks cloudy.
- Apply some Blue Magic Headlight Lens Restorer on a soft cloth and buff/rub it onto the headlight. Buff/Rub it in circular motion. You’ll see the haze of polish/compound clear up as you buff it. Leave it for a few minutes to dry and polish with a clean dry cloth.

Again, depending on the severity and condition of your headlights, you can probably get away with buffing with the Lens restorer and avoid wet-sanding. I got the product from Advance Auto Parts for $6.00.

Hope this helps and good luck!!

Old 08-21-2007, 01:54 PM
GTEE83 is infamous around these parts
Once you do get the headlights cleaned up/polished, use Plexus to keep them protected. I have had my car for over four years and park it outside during most weekdays, and they are still clear.