996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Are there tires that are quiet ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 09:35 AM
rlim is infamous around these parts
Are there tires that are quiet ?

I took a road trip with my wife from Toronto to Buffalo, NY last Saturday with the Porsche. I would normally take the BMW but instead decided to try the Porsche. The car is a 99 C2 with standard 17” wheels.

Let just say, the ride there and back was rather painful … the road noise. The total distant travelled was 470km. We experienced a headache on our back from Buffalo.

We bought the car about 3 months ago and it was a fun car to drive around the city … pretty much short distant travels only.

The dealership who sold us the car installed new BF Goodrich G-Force Sport tire. They are 205/50/17 Front and 255/40/17 Rear. I have the same G-Force Sport tires 225/50/16 on my BMW 328i and they are quiet.

Are you experiencing similar road noise from your car? I’m wondering if the wider tires on the pcar would be the caused of the noise. Any suggestion on quieter tires based on your experience? I have another set of 18" wheel with Dunlop SP Sport FM901 (265/35/18 rear and 225/40/18 front). They noiser than the BF Goodridge.

Also, I’m looking to get a set of winter tires and am looking at Nokian WR. I have Nokian Hakkapalitta snows on my BMW and they’ve excellent traction on snow and ice, which is the reason behind my selection choice for Nokian on the pcar. Has anyone any experience on Nokian WR tires on the Porsche?

Old 08-20-2007, 10:56 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Give ma a call, I'd love to chat.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 08-20-2007, 11:30 AM
slaaw is infamous around these parts
I've run those tires on our 540i BMW and find that they're somewhat noisier that the Kuhmo Escta SPT's that replaced them.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:55 AM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
Wider (255) Pcar tire that causes noise?

Nope, not width......I run 315s on the Turbo, 285s on both the 993 and C4Cab.
Any new (good) tire should be relatively quiet......some dif but not huge.

It's wear and uneven wear that affects noise first n most (IMHO).
How many miles in the 3 months on these tires?.......where's your alignment?

Have to say......none of the tires you've mentioned (summer & winter) would be on my 'buy list'.......nor would I take a dealer recomendation .
Lots of threads here and Renn on tires.

Your car should be enjoyable on the highway.......I hope you can find that enjoyment.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:58 PM
YoopsRacing is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by rlim
I
Are you experiencing similar road noise from your car? I’m wondering if the wider tires on the pcar would be the caused of the noise. Any suggestion on quieter tires based on your experience? I have another set of 18" wheel with Dunlop SP Sport FM901 (265/35/18 rear and 225/40/18 front). They noiser than the BF Goodridge.
rlim my 99 has 25k miles on 2nd set of Michelin PilotSports....yes they are loud as hell too....I thought at first it was bad wheelbearings...it is just loud.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:09 PM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by YoopsRacing
rlim my 99 has 25k miles on 2nd set of Michelin PilotSports....yes they are loud as hell too....I thought at first it was bad wheelbearings...it is just loud.
25K on a z rated tire on a Porsche.........I'd get rid of em
PS are a great tire.......but don't think I've ever gotten more than 10-15 tops

Old 08-20-2007, 03:10 PM
miniporsche is infamous around these parts
I have toyo t1r on my car, they're less road noise compare to michelin but also a little less grip

Old 08-20-2007, 07:34 PM
rlim is infamous around these parts
I've put in about 2000km since I got the car. I'm considering getting an alignment done which I hope help.

Greggt, what tires are you using? What's on your "buy list"?

Last edited by rlim; 08-20-2007 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:02 AM
Originally Posted by rlim
I've put in about 2000km since I got the car. I'm considering getting an alignment done which I hope help.

Greggt, what tires are you using? What's on your "buy list"?
Were you able to get out on the highway when you 1st got the car?.......noise?
It only takes a few thou to start a bad wear pattern (cupping, etc) and then it just continues....ie align will not help. If you put on new shoes, getting align (and print-out) is small invest compared to the tires.
Summer.....PS2s, S-02A BS, Pilot Sports.
Winter....240 Snowsports, BS Blizzaks, M3 Duns.....in that order.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:13 AM
TheSpeedDemon is infamous around these parts
I run the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's and because of the low sidewall they are noisy, but then of course I drive on these shyte roads in California so that doesn't help. I would love to drive on smooth roads one day

Old 08-21-2007, 08:21 AM
Originally Posted by TheSpeedDemon
Pilot Sport PS2's.......because of the low sidewall they are noisy
.........What?

Old 08-21-2007, 09:44 AM
Roger's 2937 is infamous around these parts
I have the Michelin Pilot Sports with about 6k on them and they are still very quiet on most road surfaces. However, on a few road surfaces I do get tire/body noise but it's quite seldom.

Roger B.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:29 AM
zdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud of
I have run Conti's, PS2s and currently on my second set of BFG G-sports (less expensive, greater wear). Daily driver and no track. I have found that all these tires are noisy. My 99 C2 does not have alot of sound proofing installed so I generally get to hear all the road/wind noise (especially at speed). I also have 530i and run conti's on that, it is much more quiet because of the sound insulation. So just a thought, maybe we need some sound insulation??

Old 08-21-2007, 11:12 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
The new Yokohama Advan Sports are rating to be pretty quiet. The Conti Sport Contact 3 rated to be pretty quiet as well.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 08-21-2007, 02:06 PM
GTEE83 is infamous around these parts
Sorry, what was that? I can't hear you, my exhaust is too loud!

j/k

I would guess that the Contis and Michelins would tend to be quieter than the others. Damon would probably have more information.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Are there tires that are quiet ?