996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

H and R Coilover Questions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 09:01 PM
Russcan is infamous around these parts
H and R Coilover Questions?

A guy "on the Renntech.org for sale forum" has a set of HR Coilovers for sale with the strut assem's, gt3 sway bars and adj drop links for the front and rear. My car is an 01 Cab. I really want to lower the car for looks, however I do not want to harsh of a ride. The car now is lowered with springs only. The ride is not to bad, but I want to go lower and give the car an aggressive rake. So my questions are.

1. Will I be able to acheive a lower front than rear with these coilovers?

2. How much can H&R coilovers drop the ride height?

3. Do I need to use the sway bars with the coilovers, since it's only for looks? = (Better Price without the sway bars)

4. Will the ride be harsher than just a spring job lowering?

Thank You, Russ

Old 08-22-2007, 09:04 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Russcan
A guy "on the Renntech.org for sale forum" has a set of HR Coilovers for sale with the strut assem's, gt3 sway bars and adj drop links for the front and rear. My car is an 01 Cab. I really want to lower the car for looks, however I do not want to harsh of a ride. The car now is lowered with springs only. The ride is not to bad, but I want to go lower and give the car an aggressive rake. So my questions are.

1. Will I be able to acheive a lower front than rear with these coilovers?

2. How much can H&R coilovers drop the ride height?

3. Do I need to use the sway bars with the coilovers, since it's only for looks? = (Better Price without the sway bars)

4. Will the ride be harsher than just a spring job lowering?

Thank You, Russ

you will be able to go lower with coilovers, you SHOULD have a better ride if the H&R's are adjustable....I think PSS9's are more preferred on 996's..I have them and they have a better ride than stock....

Old 08-22-2007, 09:11 PM
The set is ride height adjustable, but has no dampening adjustments. What do you think? Still better ride than just springs? Also do I really need the Sway bars for the street? Really looking for better looks and as good as ride as possible.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:14 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Look for some PSS9's.....dont need sways if its just for looks, but it will be better than springs alone....

Old 08-22-2007, 09:14 PM
TheSpeedDemon is infamous around these parts
Why didn't you just continue with the other thread, oh well.

Yes coil-overs will be a lot better than what you have now. I am with newport, the PSS9's I have heard are better than the H&R's. I have never heard anyone mention harsh with the PSS9's and I want to say the same is for the H&R's.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:20 PM
Sorry for the extra thread. I'm new here to the Board and still learning skills. I do thank you all for your feedback. This forum is much more responsive than Renntech. This forum reminds me of some old girl friends.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:16 PM
TunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of light
newport - i read on here that pss9's cannot lower to gt2 height without hitting the bumpstops. Do you experience this issue at all?

Old 09-24-2007, 02:19 PM
I dont have any issues with hitting the bumpstops....mine is fairly low....I think there is still room for me as well....

Old 09-24-2007, 06:32 PM
TunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of light
interesting. Thanks for the feedback!

Old 09-25-2007, 03:13 PM
UCrazyKid is infamous around these partsUCrazyKid is infamous around these parts
Here is my advice. If you are interested in maintaining ride quality I would not suggest you use the H&R coilovers. They have a reputation for a harsh ride. If you want a good ride that is likely to even be an improvement over the stock shocks you have now I would recommend PSS9 system from Bilstein. If you are not interested in improved handling you will not need the swaybars. Infact all these coilovers are probably over kill if you are only interested in lowering. Just cut a coil off the spring you already have. (your stock shocks will crap out quickly though) How low are you looking to go? Another option is the Porsche x74 kit, this will bring you to the GT3 ride height.

Anyway to answer your question. Yes, the coilovers will allow you to get the "rake" you want. The H&R coilovers go quite low as I understand, lower than PSS9's I think. The lower you go will sacrifice ride quality of any car. Keep in mind you will also be affecting you ability for correct alignment, may introduce bump steer, and the "rake" will throw off the balance of the car.

Good luck.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:47 PM
is gt3 height lower than the lowest stock gt2 height setting?

Old 09-25-2007, 05:21 PM
mhemperly is infamous around these parts
I just installed H&R coils on my 99' 996 and i am happy with the ride quality! you can adjust the ride height as low or as high as you like. they are a little stiffer than stock but thats to be expected,since there is no dampening adjustment. I think for the money there a good buy.... definetly better than any spring! IMO.. good luck

Old 09-25-2007, 05:27 PM
UCrazyKid is infamous around these partsUCrazyKid is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TunaRollZ
is gt3 height lower than the lowest stock gt2 height setting?
I don't know the ride height of the GT2, my assumption is that it is the same as the GT3 as they are both sold as street cars and you wouldn't want to go any lower they they (or the x74) come. The GT3 suspension is an adjustable coilover system and can be adjusted for height after delivery from the factory if the owner so chooses. I have no idea about the GT2.
Try he GT2/GT3 board at rennlist.com?

Old 09-25-2007, 07:11 PM
LowStro9 is infamous around these parts
If its a great deal than go with the H&R. I have them along with JRZ's cup car kit. Although the price is terribly higher than the norm, I prefer the H&R over anything else. I have had three H&R C/O kits on three other cars and loved them. If you can swing the moola, go for JRZ. I threw in a picture of mine. It sits flat out on the deck. I have had three PCA racers in the car and they can't believe how incredible the car feels at speed on the track and how well it is on the street. JRZ's are adjustable with damper control.