996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Cold Air Kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 06:30 PM
wsuvoy is infamous around these parts
Thanks Turbo,

Since I'm new to this who makes the EVOMS? How to contact?

Old 09-13-2007, 10:31 PM
Banned
TurboTramp is infamous around these parts
Abdullah:
The performance is about the same. Unfortunately, the K&N kit is a bunch of parts made for a backyard mechanic and the design mounts the air filter under the fan (the only place where water can fall directly onto it). Problems include rubbing during acceleration, MAF sensor damage and moisture related engine damage. Also, K&N voids the warranty if you don't use the water shield, which is not used during performance testing.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:33 PM
Banned
TurboTramp is infamous around these parts
wsuvoy:
Here's the link:
www.evoms.com

Old 09-13-2007, 11:18 PM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
thank you for these info tobe honest I was going to buy K&N to save some money on the intake since it's same as the evo but now I think I'm gonna get the evo one

I don't care about the HP gain but mostly I have been told by a lot of ppl that the intake takes the PSE to high level and makes the sound nicer

Old 09-14-2007, 01:18 PM
phaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond repute
If you do a search you will find that many have had bad things to say about EVO and good things to say about the K&N intake. In other threads people reported similar fitment and quality issues with the EVO that turbotramp is describing with the K&N. Do a search before you make a definite decision.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:38 PM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
i second what phaphaphooey says, do some more research... if i were you, i would just leave your intake alone =D nothing wrong with the stock one

Old 09-14-2007, 01:39 PM
sfarris is a name known to allsfarris is a name known to allsfarris is a name known to allsfarris is a name known to allsfarris is a name known to allsfarris is a name known to all
Do Cold Air Intakes alone do anything?

Listmates,

My only experience is with my 00 Boxster S. I added a cold air Intake, and while sound was more fun, and i thought the car was a bit peppier on the low end, I researched and concluded that the ECM adjusted for more air so that Net net I got nothing! Is it different with the 996? Specifically, my 03, since i am asking

Old 09-14-2007, 01:41 PM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
should be the same...

Old 09-14-2007, 01:55 PM
YoopsRacing is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by wsuvoy
Thanks Turbo,

Since I'm new to this who makes the EVOMS? How to contact?
I was to recently and I bought the EVOMS....not one regret and it makes a stocker sound a little meaner

Old 09-14-2007, 04:10 PM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by YoopsRacing
I was to recently and I bought the EVOMS....not one regret and it makes a stocker sound a little meaner
that's why I'm buying it for the sound

Old 09-16-2007, 11:02 PM
CaRJoE0220 is infamous around these partsCaRJoE0220 is infamous around these parts
Been looking up info on the K&N and about a year ago there were problems with the oil going through the intake and ruining the MAF, did they cure this problem?

Old 09-17-2007, 07:47 AM
zdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by CaRJoE0220
Been looking up info on the K&N and about a year ago there were problems with the oil going through the intake and ruining the MAF, did they cure this problem?
I used an AEM Dryfilter part number AEM 21-2059DK to prevent oil spoiling the MAF. Been running 1 year with issues.....knock knock.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:06 AM
996Flatsix is infamous around these parts
I have an EVO box and found the throttle response to be better than stock (though this could be a figment of my imagination to justify the cost). No dyno on my end...

You can find the EVO and the Fabspeed stuff on Ebay from time to time, but new is always nice as well...

My o

Old 09-17-2007, 08:07 AM
996Flatsix is infamous around these parts
One suggestion to those running EVO boxes - remove the logo plate before you run on the track - at least on mine, the logo on the box was held in by two very small screws and was shaped like some crazy ninja star - I could only imagine what that would do to my engine or tires at 130mph...

Old 11-01-2007, 12:16 AM
auto-xr is infamous around these parts
Looking at the K&N set up, it looks to be positioned right under the engine lid fan. I have heard that this unit just sucks up hot air from the engine compartment (thus hurting HP) and that dynos aren't really giving a true indication of what the K&N is doing to increase power because there may or may not be a fan blowing on the engine. In normal operation when the engine fan is on, wouldn't the K&N be receiving cool air from the outside forced on to it? Isn't that a good thing? Also, I also have read that there is a mod to turn that fan on manually (w/o affecting the automatic function) to help cool down the engine when it's being run hard. Wouldn't this be a no brainer mod to go along with the K&N? MAF issues aside (and I've read the EVO units aren't always immune to this), wouldn't this be a an design advantage over the evo unit when used on a clear on sunny day? Also, I have read that there is a rain shield but I don't think I've ever seen it. Does anyone have a pic of how K&N unit looks with it on? BTW...I don't have a CAI but I've toyed with the idea of getting one. I actually have a flat K&N filter new and in the box but as with the cone filter, the MAF issue does concern me along with the fact that the K&N flows more air thus could let more pollutants into the engine. Just using the regular air filter at this point. Curious to see what others have to say.

Attached Images  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Kit