996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Cold Air Kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 08:32 AM
phaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by auto-xr
Looking at the K&N set up, it looks to be positioned right under the engine lid fan. I have heard that this unit just sucks up hot air from the engine compartment (thus hurting HP) and that dynos aren't really giving a true indication of what the K&N is doing to increase power because there may or may not be a fan blowing on the engine. In normal operation when the engine fan is on, wouldn't the K&N be receiving cool air from the outside forced on to it? Isn't that a good thing? Also, I also have read that there is a mod to turn that fan on manually (w/o affecting the automatic function) to help cool down the engine when it's being run hard. Wouldn't this be a no brainer mod to go along with the K&N? MAF issues aside (and I've read the EVO units aren't always immune to this), wouldn't this be a an design advantage over the evo unit when used on a clear on sunny day? Also, I have read that there is a rain shield but I don't think I've ever seen it. Does anyone have a pic of how K&N unit looks with it on? BTW...I don't have a CAI but I've toyed with the idea of getting one. I actually have a flat K&N filter new and in the box but as with the cone filter, the MAF issue does concern me along with the fact that the K&N flows more air thus could let more pollutants into the engine. Just using the regular air filter at this point. Curious to see what others have to say.
In regards to the Maf issues, although many swear that oil based filters have fouled their Mafs, K&N adamently denies that their filters are the cause. They have a great volume of empirical data on their page detailing studies on various supposedly fouled mafs that they have received that, if their testing methods are sound, seemd to be convincing. That can be found here: http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/MAFTestresults.htm. Here is some more information: http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm and http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massairfindings.htm. I wonder if what K&N claims is actually true, and the vast majority of the failures are due to other sources or are not even failures at all. Who knows.

Additionally, the umbrella/dry sock thing that slips over the filter is blue in color I believe. If you look at the install instructions on the K&N page, I believe their finished product picture shows the filter with the water shield installed.

I hope this has been helpful.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:49 AM
Big E is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by CaRJoE0220
Been looking up info on the K&N and about a year ago there were problems with the oil going through the intake and ruining the MAF, did they cure this problem?
Just put the K&N cold air pack on my 03 C4S and love it, especially the difference in the sound. It's been on my car for about 2000 miles and haven't had any trouble at all with MAF.

Important point: Make sure you disconnect the negative battery cable first for about 2 hours, then install the K&N and reconnect battery cable and drive it pretty hard for about 30 minutes to reset computer to compensate for the extra air.
Everyone I know that has done this has not had any problems with the MAF.

This is what I got from my research here and my talks with Porsche mechanics.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:19 AM
auto-xr is infamous around these parts
I'm really thinking about it. I'd probably clean the filter off and then reapply the oil myself in addition to pulling the battery connector during installation. I'd also do the manual engine fan switch as well. It's kind of like a "ram air" thing but the car doesn't have to move to get the benefits.

Here's another question. What is the weight difference between the stock airbox setup and the K&N? I have to think the K&N would be lighter.

Anyone have a K&N CAI that they hate? If so, and you want to get rid of that piece of garbage please PM me. I'll take it if the price is right.

Last edited by auto-xr; 11-02-2007 at 10:20 AM. Reason: more info
Old 11-02-2007, 10:35 AM
daytrader is infamous around these parts
K&N is lighter. I have one in mine for a year now and no problem with MAF. I believe MAF problem is on TT.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:52 PM
porshaah is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cayenne_ksa
I have one on my car I'm thinking to sell it, let me know
how much bud

Old 11-02-2007, 02:59 PM
auto-xr is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by porshaah
how much bud
If he doesn't want it i'll jump in line