996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

turboing my 996 c2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 09:25 PM
bruceinmiami is infamous around these parts
turboing my 996 c2

is there a kit to put a simple turbo on my car, while keeping my car's spoilerless, narrow body untouched?

i just really like my car but would dig having some bottom end torque.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:16 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by bruceinmiami
is there a kit to put a simple turbo on my car, while keeping my car's spoilerless, narrow body untouched?

i just really like my car but would dig having some bottom end torque.

Yes and no.....while putting a Turbo on the car is NOT simple, but its doable, but will probably cost $15k+....one thing to realize is that low end torque is usually not a characteristic of turbochargers, as they have to spool up to get full boost....The new 997 TT uses lots of expensive technology like variable fan blades and stuff to get you boost at very low RPMs, but a "simple" Turbo kit wont get you alot of low end torque....the best way to get more torque is displacement....and if you are willing to spend 15k or so, a big bore kit for your car to maybe a 4.0L would probably get you the torque you seek....

Old 09-15-2007, 11:33 PM
kbliew is infamous around these parts
the simplest kit = trade in ur car for a 996tt and it probably costs about 15k too.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:40 AM
RoverRon is infamous around these parts
Ok who makes kit? How much power is it going to give you. is it really worth it? Telling him to buy a 996TT is like a pony boy telling us to buy a 5.0L because its cheaper. NOT for me! if he wants a powerful C2 thats on him. I don't know about going to turbo kit route though.

Last edited by RoverRon; 09-16-2007 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:19 AM
PeterK is infamous around these parts
supercharge it!

Old 09-16-2007, 09:30 AM
Absolute Motoring is infamous around these parts
Supercharging it would be your best option. VF engineering makes a great supercharger for these cars and a lot of people on this board have used them and can give you great feedback on them.

Old 09-16-2007, 12:20 PM
it's funny...i just don't like the looks of the 996tt. and the driving feel of the 4wd cars lacks tossability.

supercharger vs turbo...porsche and turbo is magic. a small turbo should kick in by about 2000rpms at only 6-8psi. that's all i'd be interested in. not huuuge power, just some 50hp more.

even if the supercharger may give more torque down low (depends on what type of supercharger-a centrifugal one like a vortec won't help much down low either-but that's an entirely different conversation), porsche and superchargers just doesn't do it for me.

i basically want the 996gt2 driving feel, for less money.

Old 09-16-2007, 12:37 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
A TPC SC will give you low end power as well as high rpm... 6-8psi will give you more than 50hp, with the stock compression... more like 110hp+

Old 09-16-2007, 01:13 PM
i guess this thread says what i need to do:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...erting+awd+rwd

then it'd just be changing the bodywork.

Old 09-16-2007, 02:21 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
So what are you saying? You want 50 hp, or do you want low end torque? 50 HP, could be done probably with cams and head work on your 996 engine. No crazy plumbing of a Turbo system, no forced induction issues with a high compression engine....Also a displacement bump will give you that....Doing a turbo in a NA car is not as simple as just putting a turbo in it....engine management, electronics, cooling, all that has to be dealt with and most wont do all that for just a 50 hp increase. The cost would be prohibitive....

http://www.koro.de/

These guys do displacement increases from 3.6L up to 5.2L....but a 4.0L will get you at least 50 more HP...or even an engine swap from a 997 3.8L X51 package will give you 50 more HP....

Old 09-16-2007, 04:30 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
This is the weirdest thread. So the poster now wants to buy a turbo, disconnect the front driveshaft and turn it into a narrow body? Ummmm.....

If you want a car that drives like your stock car but with more power just get a supercharger. Not a TPC, but the EVO.

I'm not sure what you're fixation is with turbo'ing a NA car, but it's ridiculously expensive and incredibly involved. Not to mention it will be a custom one off type job which means your car will be down for a long time and will probably be much more complicated to diagnose and repair.

Go get the Evo kit. Or buy a TT. Anything else and you're asking for more trouble than it's worth.

Old 09-16-2007, 05:03 PM
i come from a long line of mustangs with a turbo setup, and a few with the "eaasy" route-supercharging.
i'm not advocating one over the other for a porscha NA engine. I wanted to know what people were doing to add power to these smaller engines.
cams, intake, exhaust, for these smaller cube engines is not a lot of bang for the buck. power adder is the way to go, IMO
as you all have pointed out, the case is whether to spend 10-15k modyfiying my engine, or upgrading to a 996tt.
i read up on all this, and my take on the cost vs reward equation is that it's just way easier to take a stock turbo car and mod it to fit my needs (making it rwd-pretty simple as it turns out, body kit etc.), than take a car like mine and throw money at it.

and in the end, if i go the 996tt route, resale value will be preserved more than a hacked up 996c2.

Last edited by bruceinmiami; 09-16-2007 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:09 PM
RoverRon is infamous around these parts
i think that EVO does make a turbo kit

Old 09-16-2007, 05:11 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Well, your car is probably worth 40. The turbo is gonna cost you 60. Figure in sales tax, registration, and the mods you're looking at to make it the way you want and it's a decent chunk of money. If you have it, get the turbo. I love me a turbo.

If you don't have turbo money, but have some money to spend, get the EVO kit. It's a lot of power and it's reliable. Not sure why you think SC'ing is the "easy" route, but is a very cost effective one. The EVO kit is fairly complex and well thought out. New injectors, remapped ECU, centrifugal blower, air to water intercooler, etc....

I agree on NA mods as being attrocious with regards to bang for the buck. You'll probably spend $3-4K to pick up 30hp if you're lucky.

Old 09-16-2007, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by RoverRon
i think that EVO does make a turbo kit
They do, but it's gobs of money. There are a few people that do this conversion, including a place in Miami but I can't remember their name off the top of my head. I looked into it but it was $20K to start. Not worth it IMO.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: turboing my 996 c2