996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Nav/Stereo replacement recommendations?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 01:05 PM
uberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond repute
newport... and others. how is the Ipod control with your head units?
is it very similar to native Ipod controls? (ie, shuffle, by album, by artist, playlist)

porscheaudio- so how low can you go on these? I have been thinking about this a while, and leaning towards the kenwoods...

Old 09-18-2007, 01:06 PM
PORSCHEAUDIOLUV is infamous around these parts
The faceplate slides down and open.and the cd player is behind it.
The pocket can be ordered from the dealer and the shop soing the actual install will have to make the trim for you. I can do it if you are purchasing the equipment from me.
pm mw for prices but my best recomondation is to go to a shop and see the actual units.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:10 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by uberpoop
newport... and others. how is the Ipod control with your head units?
is it very similar to native Ipod controls? (ie, shuffle, by album, by artist, playlist)

porscheaudio- so how low can you go on these? I have been thinking about this a while, and leaning towards the kenwoods...
iPod control is EXCELLENT....mine is the older low speed interface, but its very intuitive, the new interface which is high speed is just like the iPod...my head un it is now going on 4 years old...waiting for it to die so I have an "excuse" to get the new 8019....which has the new high speed interface and will actually play video as well off the iPod....

Old 09-18-2007, 01:56 PM
lilstan is infamous around these parts
the AVIV-Z1 has all the controls you listed but it you don't use playlist's it could take a long time to look through all the songs.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by bk12
The Pioneer unit is very nice.

lilstan, where did you get the trim ring to mount the a/c controls right below the NAV unit? I am guessing you modded another piece, which one?
I used the stock one, but you can get them from the dealer ($30-$35)

Old 09-18-2007, 01:59 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by lilstan
Mine was $8 at the dealer.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:10 PM
the AVIV-Z1 has all the controls you listed but it you don't use playlist's it could take a long time to look through all the songs.
The Kenwoods interface is more advanced...its basically the ipod controls on your touchscreen...you have access to genre, playlists, artist, etc....just like you select with your iPod....and like I said, if you have a newer iPod there is a cable that will play the video from your iPod as well....just in case you have movies or music videos on you iPod...lol...the new Alpines also do this as well...I dont think the Pioneers do this yet.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:32 PM
blinkwatt is infamous around these parts
If you want sound go for the Nakamichi CD-400. Nothing fancy,just high quality digital processing w/ a very OEM look.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:06 PM
bk12 is infamous around these parts
Was that the part as recieved? I know you can get the trim piece for the location at the bottom of the column, but have only seen a few people mounting it above the cubby. I believe they are different sizes as the console tapers in that bottom portion. I thought there was not an A/C trim piece for that top location.

Did you have to modify it at all?

Old 09-18-2007, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by bk12
Was that the part as recieved? I know you can get the trim piece for the location at the bottom of the column, but have only seen a few people mounting it above the cubby. I believe they are different sizes as the console tapers in that bottom portion. I thought there was not an A/C trim piece for that top location.

Did you have to modify it at all?
I did have to modify a little, but it wasn't a big deal.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by newport996
The Kenwoods interface is more advanced...its basically the ipod controls on your touchscreen...you have access to genre, playlists, artist, etc....just like you select with your iPod....and like I said, if you have a newer iPod there is a cable that will play the video from your iPod as well....just in case you have movies or music videos on you iPod...lol...the new Alpines also do this as well...I dont think the Pioneers do this yet.
I think the pioneer does play ipod video, I just can't find the wire harness for it. I've seen one person here on 6speed do it before. Hmmm.... maybe it's time for a upgrade.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:57 PM
Confused is infamous around these parts
Everytime I see your install I have to fight the mod bug~!

Really a great job.

I will not let the mod bug bite.

Hitting the back button now.

Originally Posted by p0rsch3

Kenwood DNX7100:

Old 09-18-2007, 09:10 PM
Carrierlink is infamous around these parts
I Got to agree with porsch3. I just installed the Kenwood DNX7100 over the weekend and love it. If you search on the threads you will find a lot of info on the Kenwood DNX 7100.

Old 09-19-2007, 05:22 PM
c2mojo is infamous around these parts
Old 09-22-2007, 12:09 AM
silver_6r is infamous around these parts
i have the pioneer avic-d3... eveything wroks, but the ipod control is crappy..takes for ever to find the song you want...NO SEARCH FUNCTION!!!

thinking Alpine next year... but its 3X as expensive with the nav unit!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Nav/Stereo replacement recommendations?