996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Nav/Stereo replacement recommendations?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 04:54 PM
Lazerblade is infamous around these parts
Nav/Stereo replacement recommendations?

I have a 2001 911 with the Nav system. I am the second owner so I didn’t add this option. I am not that thrilled with it or that fact that I cannot change a CD unless I am parked and open the hood to change the disk in the changer. I have seen some pictures here of some aftermarket nav/stereo replacements on this forum that look fantastic.

Just so you know, I did a bunch of searches on this subject but couldn’t find anything specific. So, what systems work you all recommend replacing my system with? Would you recommend me replacing my system or will that devalue the car? I have a portable Magellan GPS that’s fantastic but if a new stereo system came with a nice one that had a touch screen, it would be very nice. The Porsche Nav system I have gets lost all the time and has very few roads on it. I would like any replacement to be professional looking also.

Thanks for any advice. Here is a picture of my interior. Under the Nav system is the Nav disk player that would be useless if the Nav is replaced also.

Thanks so much,

Paul

Old 09-17-2007, 05:53 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Well...I'll start off by saying, I did a LOT of research and have not been all that into aftermarket systems, but I find the Kenwood systems to be better than factory in quality, ease of use, and sound quality. It will fit in the old NAV space, will give you touchscreen capabilities, bluetooth, Sat Radio, HD Radio, iPod/Mp3 player control, the Nav system is flash based...VERY fast, no Nav disc needed. Here is mine.....its the DDX-7015, now replaced by the DDX-7017....

Old 09-17-2007, 06:13 PM
Wow! This is exactly the kind of information I am looking for. Does it use the Porsche/Sony six disc changer? Who put it in for you?

Old 09-17-2007, 06:36 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Lazerblade
Wow! This is exactly the kind of information I am looking for. Does it use the Porsche/Sony six disc changer? Who put it in for you?
I did the install....does not use the Porsce changer is its irrelevant to me...I use an iPod...more songs, smaller, and if I need to listen to a CD, or watch a DVD, Yes it plays DVD's as well, or video from an iPod, tje screen flips down and there is a single slot for that.....no changer needed.....my iPod is wired to the rear center console....no need to see it or tuch it as its charged when plugged in, and I control it from the touchscreen head unit....

Old 09-17-2007, 07:02 PM
bk12 is infamous around these parts
Another vote for the Kenwood units. I just got a DNX7100 installed in mine, and it is a great system. It uses the Garmin nav engine, and is flash based, which make it one of the best double DIN nav units imo. It is also an all-in-one box solution, so no extra electronics to stow. I also have a changer and bluetooth phone module hooked up through mine, and it all works very well together. Highly recommended!

Old 09-17-2007, 07:08 PM
lilstan is infamous around these parts
I've also done the same mod in my car. I went with a pioneer unit (AVIC-Z1). It does all the things the kenwood does. I just went with pioneer becuase I'm comfortable with the brand. I'm sure every company make very simular unit. I think if you stick with the well known brands, you can't go wrong. As far as a changer goes, you shouldn't need one, just go with something that can plug and play ipod's.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:39 PM
bk12 is infamous around these parts
The Pioneer unit is very nice.

lilstan, where did you get the trim ring to mount the a/c controls right below the NAV unit? I am guessing you modded another piece, which one?

Old 09-17-2007, 11:48 PM
PORSCHEAUDIOLUV is infamous around these parts
I like the new kenwood dnx7100 but i always liked the alpine units more.
Let me know which one you want i can beat any legit price for a 6 speed member.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:31 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
oh yeah- have to chime in. This was by far the best "mod" I have done to my pcar.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...hlight=kenwood

I use a 4gb USB flash drive and a video ipod hooked up to the DNX7100 for hours of non-stop music and videos. (do they even make CD's any more?? LOL)
The Garmin GPS is spot-on. My choice of this model was based on the "all in one" design- no external GPS brains to add-on and there is no need to leave the NAV DVD in the DVD slot, runs from internal memory. Install was pretty easy, making the trim ring was time consuming. The DNX7100 comes with a nice fat trim ring in the kit that you can cut and fit like mine.

Kenwood DNX7100:

And a more recent pic after installing the painted interior goodies:

Last edited by p0rsch3; 09-18-2007 at 12:36 AM.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:24 AM
tshack is infamous around these parts
Where do you guys get the empty console tray...I hate that queer CD holder thing.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:48 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tshack
Where do you guys get the empty console tray...I hate that queer CD holder thing.

Stealer. It's like $20.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:49 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
I have a 2001 911 with the Nav system. I am the second owner so I didn’t add this option. I am not that thrilled with it or that fact that I cannot change a CD unless I am parked and open the hood to change the disk in the changer. I have seen some pictures here of some aftermarket nav/stereo replacements on this forum that look fantastic.

Just so you know, I did a bunch of searches on this subject but couldn’t find anything specific. So, what systems work you all recommend replacing my system with? Would you recommend me replacing my system or will that devalue the car? I have a portable Magellan GPS that’s fantastic but if a new stereo system came with a nice one that had a touch screen, it would be very nice. The Porsche Nav system I have gets lost all the time and has very few roads on it. I would like any replacement to be professional looking also.

Thanks for any advice. Here is a picture of my interior. Under the Nav system is the Nav disk player that would be useless if the Nav is replaced also.

Thanks so much,

Paul

Paul, have thought about getting rid of the wood?

Old 09-18-2007, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by deputydog95
Paul, have thought about getting rid of the wood?
I like the wood. It does not look like this. The flash on my camera makes it look orange. I will try and take a better picture to show you.

Paul

Old 09-18-2007, 12:43 PM
Do these screens open up to allow DVD/CD discs to be inserted or do you need a changer for them?

I cannot figure this out even from looking at these models on the web.

Thanks,

Paul

Old 09-18-2007, 12:54 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Do these screens open up to allow DVD/CD discs to be inserted or do you need a changer for them?

I cannot figure this out even from looking at these models on the web.

Thanks,

Paul
Yes, they all motorize open to reveal a DVD/CD slot.
Stop by a local car audio shop and play with a few of them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Nav/Stereo replacement recommendations?