996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

'02 Cab CPO car with prior body damage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 01:13 PM
LeNoah is infamous around these parts
They had promised me a response by Friday. Hadn't heard anything by 4:30 so I called them. I was told they are "researching" the situation and, now, I should expect to hear from them by the first part of next week.

It is important to know that this car had not been owned by anyone other that Porsche when I bought it. It was a very low mileage "certified" Porsche executive car.

I have several close friends and assoiates who are attorneys so I'm getting plenty of advice in that department. By nature I am a trusting person and always tend to give the benefit of the doubt so I wll see what the dealer's response to the situation is. I hope to be able to report to everyone that they have stepped up and done the right thing. It will always bother me. however, that this car was supposedly inspected and certified by a Porsche trained expert who missed some very serious (buckled rear sub-frame etc.) previous collision damage. It calls in to question the certification process.

Anyway, still planning to go to Laguna Seca next month. But probably won't be driving the P-car.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:32 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LeNoah
They had promised me a response by Friday. Hadn't heard anything by 4:30 so I called them. I was told they are "researching" the situation and, now, I should expect to hear from them by the first part of next week.

It is important to know that this car had not been owned by anyone other that Porsche when I bought it. It was a very low mileage "certified" Porsche executive car.

I have several close friends and assoiates who are attorneys so I'm getting plenty of advice in that department. By nature I am a trusting person and always tend to give the benefit of the doubt so I wll see what the dealer's response to the situation is. I hope to be able to report to everyone that they have stepped up and done the right thing. It will always bother me. however, that this car was supposedly inspected and certified by a Porsche trained expert who missed some very serious (buckled rear sub-frame etc.) previous collision damage. It calls in to question the certification process.

Anyway, still planning to go to Laguna Seca next month. But probably won't be driving the P-car.
IMO that is a bit of a line of crap on their part. Sort of a classic move with making promises then making you wait. If you are "nice" (which they are counting on), you'll wait and wait and wait. The longer time progresses the harder this will be. I believe your attorney friends will agree that 'time is of the essence' in most situations.

If they made a promise, force them to keep it. If they miss keeping their promises, what they are saying to you is you're really not that important or a priority. How nice is that?
If the person on the phone gives you the "researching" dodge, ask to speak to the person in charge of the "research", or their boss, or the dealership owner.
If you want results in your favor, be nice to a limit, and keep the pressure on. You may even want to go there in person and deal face-to-face. Phone is less effective.

After all, you are the one that got boned here and they gave you a broken car certified to not be broken. I think you even paid the CPO premium in the purchase price of the car- There's not really much to research... They can afford to eat a bad car much more that you.

Last edited by p0rsch3; 09-22-2007 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:07 PM
PTarga is infamous around these parts
I am reluctant to post this but I'll do it anyway since I have experience with this. ALL CPO programs allow for body and frame damage, to an extent. In cases of damaged car certification, a manu rep must inspect the car personally to make sure the damage is within their guidelines. The dealer is not required to disclose accident history, they are just not allowed to say it WASN'T in an accident. Additionally, the dealer did not deny you an off-site PPI. My advice is to save yourself the aggravation and enjoy the car. You probably don't want to hear that, but......

Old 09-23-2007, 12:16 PM
Thanks for your thoughts PTarga. Actually I am in possession of the Inspection Checklist in which a specially delineated box contains this line, "Does this vehicle have signs of previous collision damage repairs? Yes___ No_X_." I paid a premium price for this car because of the Porsche Certification.

There is serious (and I expect expensive) damage including a buckled rear sub-frame. The body shop pointed out several areas of damage (including clamp marks) that should have been picked up by a competent Porsche trained inspector. And, since I am the first individual registered owner, this damage had to have occured while Porsche owned the car.

The damage has to be corrected. I was told the engine will have to be pulled and a new sub-frame installed. This no doubt means substantial additional time I will be without my P-car. As I mentioned before my hope is that the responsible party will step up to the plate and I can report to everyone that the situation was handled fairly.

The car companies make a big deal about the value of their "certified" vehicles. They should live up to the hype. This was clearly a case of someone putting a patch on serious damage. I prefer to always give the benefit of the doubt but, in this case, someone, somewhere ....

Old 09-23-2007, 01:43 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Thanks for your thoughts PTarga. Actually I am in possession of the Inspection Checklist in which a specially delineated box contains this line, "Does this vehicle have signs of previous collision damage repairs? Yes___ No_X_." I paid a premium price for this car because of the Porsche Certification.

There is serious (and I expect expensive) damage including a buckled rear sub-frame. The body shop pointed out several areas of damage (including clamp marks) that should have been picked up by a competent Porsche trained inspector. And, since I am the first individual registered owner, this damage had to have occured while Porsche owned the car.

The damage has to be corrected. I was told the engine will have to be pulled and a new sub-frame installed. This no doubt means substantial additional time I will be without my P-car. As I mentioned before my hope is that the responsible party will step up to the plate and I can report to everyone that the situation was handled fairly.

The car companies make a big deal about the value of their "certified" vehicles. They should live up to the hype. This was clearly a case of someone putting a patch on serious damage. I prefer to always give the benefit of the doubt but, in this case, someone, somewhere ....
In my opinion, the damage can NEVER be corrected...I would be demanding a buy back....they should take your car back and give you a credit in the same amount you paid....why would you want you engine removed, subframe REPAIRED, etc....thats major structural issues....and when you go to trade or sell it and it comes up on the carfax you will take a hit....

Old 09-23-2007, 04:30 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by newport996
In my opinion, the damage can NEVER be corrected...I would be demanding a buy back....they should take your car back and give you a credit in the same amount you paid....why would you want you engine removed, subframe REPAIRED, etc....thats major structural issues....and when you go to trade or sell it and it comes up on the carfax you will take a hit....
I have to completely agree with Newport's sentiments- That car will never be the same and will always carry a red flag should you decide to sell it. And there's no guarantee it will be as good as a non-damaged car.

Since you have that all-powerful checkbox clearly marked "no", have them get you into a different car. They should be bending over backwards to take care of you since this is such an inexcusable oversight on their part, and could prove to be embarrasing for them.

If the dealer is not being responsive, wondering if it would be of help to call Porsche headquarters and ask to talk to the person in charge of NA dealerships or certification programs?

Aim high for what you want in regards to satisfaction, make a lot of noise, and you'll stand a better chance of coming out on top.

Old 09-23-2007, 04:40 PM
MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by p0rsch3
I have to completely agree with Newport's sentiments- That car will never be the same and will always carry a red flag should you decide to sell it. And there's no guarantee it will be as good as a non-damaged car.

Since you have that all-powerful checkbox clearly marked "no", have them get you into a different car. They should be bending over backwards to take care of you since this is such an inexcusable oversight on their part, and could prove to be embarrasing for them.

If the dealer is not being responsive, wondering if it would be of help to call Porsche headquarters and ask to talk to the person in charge of NA dealerships or certification programs?

Aim high for what you want in regards to satisfaction, make a lot of noise, and you'll stand a better chance of coming out on top.
+1 this is all bull****. If Porsche was the only one who has ever owned this car, it is inexcusable that it was not disclosed to you, and you are going to be screwed on re-sale value.

Hire an attorney now and be very agressive. They missed their own deadline to get back to you. Hit 'em Monday morning with both guns blazing!

Old 09-24-2007, 06:00 AM
CoreyNJ is infamous around these parts
I think when he means porsche is the only one who owned it, it must have been a lease return, otherwise why CPO a porsche owned car.

By saying porsche was the only owner I think he means that they have maintained control over the vehicle until he took posession and that an unknown 3rd part could not have been in an accident without their ability to inspect before the CPO.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:52 PM
It was sold as a "Porsche Executive Car". Never registered to an individual until me. That's what I was told.

Its been in the shop a month now. I'm getting sick of my Camry rental. Wife feels sorry for me & let's me drive the 530xi once in a while.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:26 PM
lilstan is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by newport996
I couldn't have said it better myself. I agree with newport996.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:38 PM
uberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with newport and the others that say "Do NOT accept repairs!"
You will probably be one of those cars driving down the road sideways!

They should put you in a different car altogether. They F'ed up... they should eat it!

So, you never said what dealer raped you... are you upset enough yet to tell?
How 'bout if we all make fun of you for driving the camry? Would you rat them out then?

Old 09-25-2007, 06:14 PM
I'm not quite ready to throw anybody under the bus yet, Still gathering facts but I'll keep ya posted.

I knew I should've kept quiet about the Camry.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:44 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
I'm not quite ready to throw anybody under the bus yet, Still gathering facts but I'll keep ya posted.

I knew I should've kept quiet about the Camry.
Dude, there are no facts to gather....they need to make it up to you...they should be showing you cars....The other issue is taxes....you pay tax twice, so I would get them to adjust the pricing accordingly. What they are going to propose, is, fixing the car, putting you in a Cayenne or Cayman while its being fixed, and giving you another year of warranty.....something along those lines..but LEGALLY they are on the hook for buying your car back, and Porsche North America will not like the fact they sold you a car that was damaged with a CPO...They can lose the ability to sell CPO cars, and thats alot of revenue....some Porsche dealers cannot sell CPO cars because of their past abuses and not properly certifying the car. The next thing they may be doing is circling the wagons to accuse YOU of doing the damage....Yes, they may do this, and say, "according to all of our records and our inspection of the car before it was sold, there was no damage. SO any damage MUST have been done after it was sold."....waiting is only giving them more and more time to find a way to shaft you, its not to find a way to help you.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:56 PM
newport996, Believe me. I will not roll over on this. Talked with the owner of the shop for a long time yesterday and gained some insight into the process. They are not proceeding with the front end (my fault) repairs until they get authorization from the dealer to repair the, new-found, rear end damage.

So, on top of everything else, I'll be out of my car for longer than expected. Also understand the costs (taxes, etc) in buying a new car. There is also the fact that I paid a premium for a car that should have been discounted (altho I wouldn't have bought it at any cost had I known the issues).

Also consider the fact that a Porsche trained tech supposedly thouroughly inspected this car and certified it. None of this is lost on me, but I'm not opposed to giving the dealer another day or 2 to make a proposal. It's probably too much to expect that their first offer will be acceptable but one can hope. At the end of the day this needs to be made right. I will let you all know qas it develops. As I've said before, I am the eternal optomist and hope to report that the honorable thing was done.

Thanks to everyone for your input and concern. Hope to see some of you at Laguna Seca next month. I won't be driving my P-car but will ride up with my buddy in his motorhome. We'll tow his stacker with a Porsche race car and his 997 TT.

Old 09-26-2007, 03:37 PM
PTarga is infamous around these parts
newport996, Believe me. I will not roll over on this. Talked with the owner of the shop for a long time yesterday and gained some insight into the process. They are not proceeding with the front end (my fault) repairs until they get authorization from the dealer to repair the, new-found, rear end damage.

So, on top of everything else, I'll be out of my car for longer than expected. Also understand the costs (taxes, etc) in buying a new car. There is also the fact that I paid a premium for a car that should have been discounted (altho I wouldn't have bought it at any cost had I known the issues).

Also consider the fact that a Porsche trained tech supposedly thouroughly inspected this car and certified it. None of this is lost on me, but I'm not opposed to giving the dealer another day or 2 to make a proposal. It's probably too much to expect that their first offer will be acceptable but one can hope. At the end of the day this needs to be made right. I will let you all know qas it develops. As I've said before, I am the eternal optomist and hope to report that the honorable thing was done.

Thanks to everyone for your input and concern. Hope to see some of you at Laguna Seca next month. I won't be driving my P-car but will ride up with my buddy in his motorhome. We'll tow his stacker with a Porsche race car and his 997 TT.
I'm sorry this happened in the first place. You can't trust anyone these days. I can spot a damaged car a mile away, so there is no excuse for the dealer not to be able to. Carfax is worthless, as my old car with 15k of damage showed as 100% clean. At the very least, file a report with the attorney general. GL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: '02 Cab CPO car with prior body damage