996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

'02 Cab CPO car with prior body damage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 07:00 PM
LeNoah is infamous around these parts
'02 Cab CPO car with prior body damage

I bought my '02 996 Cab about 3 years ago as a "Porsche Certified", executive car. Had about 7000 miles and belonged to Porsche 'til I bought it. Recently had a little run-in with a light pole and took the car in to a very top notch shop for repairs. After a few days at the shop the manager called and asked me to come look at the car. My accident involved the front bumper so I was surprised when he lifted the car and took me to the rear end. He showed me buckled rear sub-frame, distorted sheet metal, mistakes coverd by undercoat and several grip marks from previously used body clamps. He said that the damage was the result of a previous rear end collision at 45+ mph. They will have to remove the engine to further assess the damage. This was never disclosed to me by the dealer and the Porsche Checklist clearly states no signs of previous collision damage. I paid a premium price for the car. The body shop has contacted the dealer to see what they will do. I am waiting to hear from them before taking further action. Any ideas?

Old 09-18-2007, 07:33 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
thats messed up, what stealer is this? Is it under warrenty...just curious

Old 09-18-2007, 07:39 PM
CAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond repute
People put so much faith in CPO cars. Working around car dealers you learn how little it takes to CPO a car. Usually a good service and a couple hundred bucks from the dealership. This doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:46 PM
Yeah its a real drag. Regardless of what happens I'll be without my P-car for some time. I'll wait to see what happens before I name names. The most disturbing part is that the car had not belonged to any other private owners before me.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:51 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Hmmm....well IF they do anything I think its goodwill....I dont know about the legal specifics, but after 3 years..hmmm...you can sue them if they dont make it right, but I would be piping mad and I would have them take that car and give you a car of equal value to what you paid then.....

Old 09-18-2007, 08:44 PM
porschenut911 is infamous around these parts
CPO is not enough, always use an indy body shop and mechanic for assesment.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:45 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Time to get a lawyer. It's a pretty good case of negliance if not fraud.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:32 AM
I'm feeling like I was seriously screwed, BUT, I'm not really big on the civil court system so I'm hoping they step up with a reasonable solution. They promised to get something to me by today--tomorrow latest.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:52 AM
Lazerblade is infamous around these parts
If it's a reputible dealership, I am suprised they took a chance like that. I think the chance of the "word getting out" might help you a bit.

Good luck. I feel for you.

Paul

Old 09-20-2007, 11:00 AM
sfarris is a name known to allsfarris is a name known to allsfarris is a name known to allsfarris is a name known to allsfarris is a name known to allsfarris is a name known to all
Heard this one before

Originally Posted by LeNoah
I'm feeling like I was seriously screwed, BUT, I'm not really big on the civil court system so I'm hoping they step up with a reasonable solution. They promised to get something to me by today--tomorrow latest.
Not big on the court system means you have never been wronged before! I am a lawyer, and with few exceptions, most of my clients are "long time watchers, first time suers." Our civil court system may be flawed, and most certainly has abuses, but it beats the car bombs and injustice that others in other lands suffer.

Whether it was neglect or fraud, you bought a car with a certification. That means, I think, that you can rely on them that the car is okay, and if they goofed, it is on them to make it right. Just my two cents.

Sorry for the rant- back to the regularly scheduled car talk!

Old 09-21-2007, 01:26 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Wow that really is terrible to hear- I hope the dealer makes it right for you- Just remember "The squeaky wheel gets the oil" - Stay on them and make noise until they make it right!

Old 09-21-2007, 12:17 PM
Dealer promised to get back to me no later than today. Haven't heard anything yet but will let you know as soon as I do. I'm hoping to report that they took the high road and did the right thing. We'll see.

Either way the fact remains that I was sold a damaged car that was inspected and "certified" by trained Porsche personnel.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:58 PM
700hp996tt is infamous around these parts
Not surprising at all coming from the stealer...i bought a CPO'd m3 that i came to find out had previous bodywork done to it as well.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:26 PM
lilstan is infamous around these parts
That really sucks to hear, sorry about that. Here are my two cents....

If they are a good dealer, they will make it right. But if their not, i think it could be a long process. I'm not a lawyer, but can't they just say they didn't know about the damage? They have to disclose everything that they know about, right? If they are a ****y dealer, they can just say they didn't know about the damage.

What do you guys think about that?

Old 09-21-2007, 09:07 PM
jjk996 is infamous around these parts
I bought a car from a broker 4 yrs ago and during the check up they found previous damage. I sent a letter from a lawyer, and they settled out of court. I felt that the settlement was reasonable, and since I had the whole car checked out and that it was only the front end, I settled. But being your situation is in the rear, involving the engin, I would pursue it further.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: '02 Cab CPO car with prior body damage