996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

I have a "Friend" who wants to chip his 996...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 06:53 PM
karlooz is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by bowmanm98
Someone dyno their car with the chip and intake. Preferable the 3.4. We pretty much know it puts down 250 at the wheels. Paging Karlooz. I realize you need a baseline first but it will give you an estimate. Please someone dyno.
no time for a dyno these days. too busy. i definitely will post when i get it done. i willingly will eat my words if i actually lose HP

Old 05-19-2005, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by evo_333
Evan, what company is reputable for selling cats?
cargraphic 100 cell/200cell cats.

Old 05-19-2005, 07:09 PM
James,

I hear what ya saying. Besides the obvious fact that the car creates more noise and "seems" faster, I've had plenty of runs against my friends 3.4 to draw a comparison that it pulls away from a stock 3.4. Not much, but definitely a difference, sorry I didn't clarify that.

As for the cats, I don't know if we can quickly assume that cats are a "waste of time and money". I'm sure you've done a ton of research, but I've still have yet to hear from one person (on the boards) that has done all five. Just because people haven't done it before, doesn't mean there are no gains to be had... I'm sure people have done them either seperately or with exhaust/intake, etc, but I am interested in the combination of all of them together. Maybe there are no differences, maybe there are, I just want to hear some first hand knowledge on this topic. Also, it is possible that the people that have thought about this route have invested their money into supercharging (more gains) instead of going the NA route.

And I agree with you fully... Suspension makes a difference, I can't wait to get mine in!
i am almost all there. got the flash, intake, headers, mufflers. someone sponsor me so i can get the 100 cell cats... cargraphic... FVD.... anyone .

Old 05-19-2005, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by teflon_jones
Yes, I've experienced it. I've also heard the same from many owners who've done these mods, including dyno testing. Driving the car doesn't really give you an accurate picture for these mods since they create A LOT more noise and can easily give the impression that the car is faster when your brain is simply perceiving the extra decibels.

I spent a very long time researching these mods before I did my car and I didn't find a single case of swapping the cats increasing HP. The reason you don't know anybody with the full combo of intake, mufflers, headers, cats, and ECU is that it's a waste of time and money. Otherwise, don't you think people would be doing it? It doesn't add a lot of cost to do the headers and cats too, but there's really no gains to be had.

The best place to spend this amount of money would be in upgrading the suspension to a set of H&R springs and Bilsteins. It'll make a much bigger and more noticeable difference!
dude, the reason you can't find anyone doing these mods is cuz everyone is deathly scared of voiding the warranty. more and more are modding (like me) with older cars out of warranty.

yes suspension is a great mod but that wasn't the answer to the original question.

if you think that you are helping because of here-say then you are not helping.

Old 05-19-2005, 07:50 PM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
Originally posted by karlooz
i am almost all there. got the flash, intake, headers, mufflers. someone sponsor me so i can get the 100 cell cats... cargraphic... FVD.... anyone .
email me @ evan@fvd.us I will hook it up (no that doesn't mean sponsor )
Evan

Old 05-19-2005, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by AMG ETR
email me @ evan@fvd.us I will hook it up (no that doesn't mean sponsor )
Evan
i tried to get a hook up from you before (fvd loud exhaust) but i never got a call/email/pm back. ya really gonna hook me up?

looking for a sponsor so if it doens't do anyting performance wise then i can return it

Old 05-19-2005, 07:57 PM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
i tried to get a hook up from you before (fvd loud exhaust) but i never got a call/email/pm back. ya really gonna hook me up?

looking for a sponsor so if it doens't do anyting performance wise then i can return it
Hum, don't remember that, very sorry!! I will get back to you for sure on this!!

I somtimes allow someone to try a product for 2 weeks and if not satisfied return for a full refund, but I can't with these as once you put the cats on for even 1 day they become used and I can't resell them... We will work somthing out though, shoot me an email I will work on it tomorrow!!
Evan

Last edited by AMG ETR; 05-19-2005 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:02 PM
evo_333 is infamous around these partsevo_333 is infamous around these parts
karlooz, if you find someone to "sponsor" you let me know too (I need cats as well)! Got the same perfmance mods as you (substitute flash for unichip)...

Last edited by evo_333; 05-19-2005 at 08:06 PM.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:38 PM
karlooz, if you find someone to "sponsor" you let me know too (I need cats as well)! Got the same perfmance mods as you (substitute flash for unichip)...
i'll let you know when someone actually does . i think i have a better chance since it was my idea, hehe

Old 05-19-2005, 11:25 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Carlos needs PSS9s and not those H&Rs before the high flow cats (I duck and run for cover!).

Aye no' likey da' H&R coil over kit

Old 05-19-2005, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by sharkster
Carlos needs PSS9s and not those H&Rs before the high flow cats (I duck and run for cover!).

Aye no' likey da' H&R coil over kit
HAHAHA, i know i should've gone for the pss9s. the h&rs are a good set though. nice and stiff/taught but no adjustments. ya gonna make it worth my while then? hmmm??......

Old 05-19-2005, 11:44 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
HAHAHA, i know i should've gone for the pss9s. the h&rs are a good set though. nice and stiff/taught but no adjustments. ya gonna make it worth my while then? hmmm??......
With so many leases up nowadays I'm always on the look out for used take offs that I can pass on (so far it's been mostly turbos tho). Otherwise I'm lookin' around and I _think_ sometimes they can be had for like 1800 or so right? Always depends on the Euro....

Come by anyways and take a look-see at the 997 Sooooupe-A-chajar...

Old 05-20-2005, 09:17 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
dude, the reason you can't find anyone doing these mods is cuz everyone is deathly scared of voiding the warranty. more and more are modding (like me) with older cars out of warranty.

yes suspension is a great mod but that wasn't the answer to the original question.

if you think that you are helping because of here-say then you are not helping.
I don't think it has anything to do with the warranty. There's a ton of modaholics out there that don't give two hoots about the warranty.

What I'm saying isn't hearsay, it's based on extensive research and conversations with both owners and tuners. If you noticed, nobody is refuting what I've posted. I wonder why?

Old 05-20-2005, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by teflon_jones
I don't think it has anything to do with the warranty. There's a ton of modaholics out there that don't give two hoots about the warranty.

What I'm saying isn't hearsay, it's based on extensive research and conversations with both owners and tuners. If you noticed, nobody is refuting what I've posted. I wonder why?
OK, here's some info for your "research". i am a NA996 owner. i have done these mods. i say its helps the NA996. will you use this as part of your "research" when you chime in on these threads?

i will eat my words after saturday's dyno day if these mods don't help much and will spread the word.

with oem specs at 250RWHP i am optimistically hoping for 280 RWHP

Old 05-20-2005, 11:09 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
OK, here's some info for your "research". i am a NA996 owner. i have done these mods. i say its helps the NA996. will you use this as part of your "research" when you chime in on these threads?

i will eat my words after saturday's dyno day if these mods don't help much and will spread the word.

with oem specs at 250RWHP i am optimistically hoping for 280 RWHP
You can say whatever you want. I will be happy to include your results in my research once they're verified. I'm just waiting for the results of your dyno test.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I have a "Friend" who wants to chip his 996...