996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

No traction control?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 10:00 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
No traction control?

Ok so we finally got some rain here in 'ol SoCal.
Roads are slick as heck with the months of oils and crud build up.

My tip pcar has been breaking loose right and left, so I can confirm there is no traction control built in to my car. Guess it was option-only?

Probably a very noob question, still learning about the car here and there.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:17 AM
c2mojo is infamous around these parts
Well you have a limited slip diff in the car that was standard. PASM was an option that many 02-04 buyers did not opt for at the time as the car magazines were not giving it much love.

Lower your pressures or buy really sticky tires like Yoko AD047

Old 09-22-2007, 12:22 PM
Ray S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura about
First off if you have an '02 C2 you do NOT have a limited slip unless you installed an aftermarket unit.

Second, only the early cars came with a traction control option. TC was not available on the MK II (your '02 is a Mk II).

However, PSM (Porsche Stability Management) was available as an option on the Mk II's and it includes a traction control as part of the Stability Management function. (Most Mk II's sold in the US market did have this option installed)

If you have PSM you should see a switch on the upper left hand side of your center console. This switch activates and deactivates the system (it always defaults to "on" when you start the car). If you have this switch you have PSM. If not, you do not have it.

Last edited by Ray S (Chicago); 09-22-2007 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:41 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ray S (Chicago)
First off if you have an '02 C2 you do NOT have a limited slip unless you installed an aftermarket unit.

Second, only the early cars came with a traction control option. TC was not available on the MK II (your '02 is a Mk II).

However, PSM (Porsche Stability Management) was available as an option on the Mk II's and it includes a traction control as part of the Stability Management function. (Most Mk II's sold in the US market did have this option installed)

If you have PSM you should see a switch on the upper left hand side of your center console. This switch activates and deactivates the system (it always defaults to "on" when you start the car). If you have this switch you have PSM. If not, you do not have it.
Thanks Ray- Yep, no PSM switch and definitely running a peg-leg...
I'm very surprised however that a performance car of this caliber would not come standard with an LSD. Considering the new sticker price was $90k, you'd think that would cover it, unless there is some unbeknownst performance reason by Porsche for not putting one in.

Old 09-22-2007, 03:06 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Yes PSM is amazing, with AWD in these rains.....my car is as stable as ever....

Old 09-22-2007, 03:39 PM
ZEMDOGG is infamous around these parts
So LSD wasnt an option for 996s huh GT3 has it standard???

Old 09-22-2007, 03:44 PM
.bg. has a spectacular aura about.bg. has a spectacular aura about.bg. has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by p0rsch3
I'm very surprised however that a performance car of this caliber would not come standard with an LSD. Considering the new sticker price was $90k, you'd think that would cover it, unless there is some unbeknownst performance reason by Porsche for not putting one in.
I believe the engine being in the back, makes an LSD not as necessary in lower power p-cars as it might be in other cars. (m3 for an example)

Old 09-22-2007, 04:32 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
First off an 02 C2 Coupe sticker was NOT 90k....a NEW 02 C4S was msrp 80k, an 02 C2 was MSRP 67k...secondly it was only an option in 99, but was standard on the 40th Anniversary special edition 996....

Old 09-22-2007, 06:16 PM
Ray S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura about
I don't disagree that it should have at least been an option. However, the rear engine configuration give these cars so much traction that an LSD won't really help you at the track (in the dry) and could actually be a neg (as they can increase understeer).

The LSD was an option in '99 and was also standard on the 40th.

Old 09-23-2007, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by newport996
First off an 02 C2 Coupe sticker was NOT 90k....a NEW 02 C4S was msrp 80k, an 02 C2 was MSRP 67k...secondly it was only an option in 99, but was standard on the 40th Anniversary special edition 996....
I have the original purchase window sticker, came with the car (was an executive lease program car)- It was a few grand under $90k with the included options.
Maybe I'll post a scan of it for kicks. Does seem a bit much huh?

Old 09-23-2007, 05:17 PM
Scan of my factory window sticker, originally sold by Porsche to a dealership in Vienna, VA.
Ok, it was closer to $84- I must have been thinking tax included

Old 09-23-2007, 05:42 PM
Thats completely reasonable especially since the Tip adds about $5k!

Old 09-24-2007, 10:53 AM
CoreyNJ is infamous around these parts
Scan of my factory window sticker, originally sold by Porsche to a dealership in Vienna, VA.
Ok, it was closer to $84- I must have been thinking tax included

BTW: the pricing got worse in 2003, they went up and they removed the "packages" like your "advanced technic package" and a bunch of colours became "special order". Your 84k car would be like 87 or 88k just a year later.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:34 AM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by CoreyNJ
BTW: the pricing got worse in 2003, they went up and they removed the "packages" like your "advanced technic package" and a bunch of colours became "special order". Your 84k car would be like 87 or 88k just a year later.
bastards... and theres practicely no diff between the two, except for the price... most profitable car manufacturer is right

Old 09-24-2007, 11:40 AM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ZEMDOGG
GT3 has it standard???
Yes it does. PASM and traction contol was not an option on the 996 GT3.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: No traction control?