997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

FIRST MOD****PSS10 Coilovers Installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 10:47 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
To add to it all. Bilstein really impressed me with the little details such as the new round cover above the nut that holds the mounting hat in place. The OEM cover has a opening the PASM cable comes through it from the top. The new coilover system has the extended wire coming from the bottom of the strut and it feeds up through a small hole near the mounting area up top. So they really did their homework on these. They even had a small mounting zip tie that fits in an open spot near the other ABS wires(when you look for it you will see where I am talking about). Just the little details that impresses me sometimes. The bump steer has been reduced dramtically as well since this was an area I felt the H&R springs were very weak in and the OEM with PASM ON was horrible with.

Atomic - I used the GT3 specs with 0 toe instead the .10 degrees it called for. Otherwise the specs were the same. This is the same setting I used before the Bilsteins and I have 2.5K miles on the tires and no visible signs of inner shoulder wear in the rears. It's almost pefectly even across the tire.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:58 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Thanks Alpine. I'll pass this information on to the shop. I'll see about going with the GT3 specs except that I'll do the 0 toe too. I'm assuming that you mean for the rear? This is what I have from eclou:

"Gt3 street alignment:

front
camber -1.2
caster 7.5
toe 0.04

rear
camber -1.6
toe 0.16

The front camber will only be achievable by lowering the car or with camber adjustable arms (You can get the camber you want by inverting the mounting points on the spring mount. Not sure if this is applicable to the turbo but it works on the GT3.)"

Which Toe were you referring to? Do you do any tracking at all or do you just drive aggressively on the street/back roads like I do? I'm also assuming that these coilovers WILL drop my car? How much would you guys guess that to be? I guess I'll have to be even more careful with the front lip. Good thing I bought a spare.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:10 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by atomic80
Thanks Alpine. I'll pass this information on to the shop. I'll see about going with the GT3 specs except that I'll do the 0 toe too. I'm assuming that you mean for the rear? This is what I have from eclou:

"Gt3 street alignment:

front
camber -1.2
caster 7.5
toe 0.04

rear
camber -1.6
toe 0.16

The front camber will only be achievable by lowering the car or with camber adjustable arms (You can get the camber you want by inverting the mounting points on the spring mount. Not sure if this is applicable to the turbo but it works on the GT3.)"

Which Toe were you referring to? Do you do any tracking at all or do you just drive aggressively on the street/back roads like I do? I'm also assuming that these coilovers WILL drop my car? How much would you guys guess that to be? I guess I'll have to be even more careful with the front lip. Good thing I bought a spare.

Atomic - sorry I meant to say the rear toe. You are correct. I run them within the same specs as Eclou with the 0 toe in the rear. I will scan in the specs later today. But they are within those limits. I dropped my car 1.25 inch or so to keep it at the same drop level as the H&R springs.

I drive aggresively on the street so my driving style is similiar to yours.

I have a painted spare lip as well and I have the TechArt front and rear I purchased off another TT recently that is being painted. The sides are a little much for me and the front could be but it was a steal so I couldn't pass it up. Eclou got the same deal on the TechArts as well. His looks great and I hope mine turn out to my liking as far as looks. I feel the back could use the added bulk the rear valance/diffuser adds.

I think you will very happy with them and for the price you just can't beat it. I am suprised he had any of these left. Glad you got a set!

Old 11-12-2007, 11:23 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Alpine that new cover is for the bottom of the front struts to protect the PASM wire. You re-use the old top covers as usual

Old 11-12-2007, 11:46 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of

"Gt3 street alignment:

front
camber -1.2
caster 7.5
toe 0.04

rear
camber -1.6
toe 0.16

Justin, don't worry about the scraping. I recently installed TA springs along w/ Eclou's alignment specs and i'm very happy. I really think too much is made of scraping the front spoiler.

First off, the thing is cheap LOL! Replace it if you have too. Besides, most of the damage can't be seen unless your on your knees looking under the car. I really don't think there are too many situations where if you scrape lowered you wouldn't have scraped stock - at least I haven't found that out yet.

My car feels better than it did stock and so far i'm happy with the result. I know the coilovers are the more elegant solution and I may go that route in the future.

as far as looks, well it's not even close. Here's a before and after of my car (2 after for good measure!)

Old 11-12-2007, 12:01 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Man....point the way to those Techart pieces. If I come across the same deal you and eclou did then I'll definitely jump on it.

Thanks for all the pointers/tips on these coilovers. I'll let you guys know how it goes for me once I get them put on. Expect a full write-up with pictures too. I just hope that the shop will let me snap away.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by eclou
Alpine that new cover is for the bottom of the front struts to protect the PASM wire. You re-use the old top covers as usual
I reversed it. LOL

looked at it when it was up today. Man I am just a fool sometimes. But hey it works. Thats what happens when you let me get my hands on stuff from time to time. I was trying to clean it up while they were working in the rear. I had to find a home for it so I put it on the bottom since I didn't want to make waste out of it. I guess it won't hurt to reverse it or leave it alone. I hope they stay in place until I get home.

Last edited by ALPINE_997; 11-12-2007 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:12 PM
WildBill is infamous around these parts
Everyones input to this subject has been awesome. I appreciate all the feedback and hope this thread has been as helpful to others as it has me. Keep the info coming and don't forget to post photos of your gorgeous 997 Turbo's after the install. Collectively we can learn how to make our 997TT's cut like a German knife. I think I may change sway bars next!

Bill

Old 11-12-2007, 04:15 PM
E55AMG, your car looks amazing. The color, wheels, yellow brakes.....spectacular!!!

Old 11-12-2007, 04:44 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 997TT
E55AMG, your car looks amazing. The color, wheels, yellow brakes.....spectacular!!!
Thank you!!

Old 11-12-2007, 07:58 PM
Banned
jstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to all
very nice i just did the pss9s on my 996.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:20 AM
PAT J. is just really nicePAT J. is just really nicePAT J. is just really nicePAT J. is just really nice
pss10

hey buddy, congrad's on the new suspension. i'm going in next week for the same thing. let me know more details on the ride.is it really worth the difference? let me know.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:38 PM
M32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to behold

"Gt3 street alignment:

front
camber -1.2
caster 7.5
toe 0.04

rear
camber -1.6
toe 0.16

Which shop are having the install done by? I am ordering the Bilstein PSS damptronics as well for my C2S. I got a craaaazy good price on them...just need to find a real good shop to do it for a decent price (in the past I have installed all coil-overs myself).

Old 11-13-2007, 06:39 PM
Pat J, I recommend them and would do it again. The ride and handling is much improved over the factory setup and the car looks much better with the lowered stance. Normal PASM is sporty and comfortable while the sport mode is planted and firm without the jarring stiffness of the factory setup. With the PSS10's, I utilize sport PASM mode the majority of the time.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:09 PM
When I spoke with Cantrell Motorsports about alignment specs. Colin Cantrell himself, with 20 years of experience working on Porsches suggested that I go with these specs:

Front
-1.5 camber
0 toe

Rear
-1.8 camber
1.5-2.0mm rear toe

He said that having 0 toe in the rear would make the Turbo much more prone to snap oversteer and perhaps make it feel a bit squirrely. What has your experience been so far, ALPINE? Has it been like that for you?

The other interesting note is that Colin suggested that I get the 997 GT3 adjustable sway bars (front & rear) because it'll give me the capability to fine tune the suspension setup further so. I guess I'll go with that. I'm set to get this installed on the 28th!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: FIRST MOD****PSS10 Coilovers Installed