997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

FIRST MOD****PSS10 Coilovers Installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 03:56 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Jason - put that thing away! You could hurt someone with that. I am sure his specs are not too far off from what we have seen or put up on this board. With the mixing of the posted information and your specs Jason we should do a side by side comparison to see how different techs align. Would be interesting to gather that data.

997TT - I agree completely. With the price point of the Coilovers there is no reason not to get them for the 997TT! Glad you got a chance to finally push it harder!

Old 11-17-2007, 03:58 PM
WildBill is infamous around these parts
Gcalo, Thanks for the compliments. This is my second Porsche but it is my first turbo. I fell in love with the Porsche Turbo the first time one of my buddies took me for a ride in his 1987 911 turbo in the Sandia Mountains in New Mexico back in 1990. I new I would own one if I ever had the chance. That opportunity came for me during the past year and I special ordered the car I have now. I have never owned a car that I could compare with the Turbo so I'm not really qualified to answer that part. My heart belonged to vintage muscle cars prior to the Porshce experience.

The new turbo is scary fast and it has a lot of power. We were really pushing hard in the lower gears today and I easily took it to the limit through forth gear. This car gets to red line very fast. The car was very well planted and holding the road giving me confidence to push it hard. I certainly don't need more horsepower but I did use all of it today! I was not going to let that GT3 get away from me in the twisties!

I have never driven a 4S cab so I really can't give an experienced answer on that. I'm sure it would be a great toy and provide a great top down driving experience. It is a Porsche so I'm sure it handles great. Good luck on your choice!

Old 11-17-2007, 05:21 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 997TT
---I have never driven a 4S cab so I really can't give an experienced answer on that. I'm sure it would be a great toy and provide a great top down driving experience. It is a Porsche so I'm sure it handles great. Good luck on your choice!
Good answers and very helpful. Many many thanks.

I am going to do a bit to my 360-high flow cats, maybe new headers, and different exhaust other than the horrible too bee!

I had a nice SL500 and miss the rag top. So the 4S cabrio is of great interest: a) Porsche and would like to try one, b) convertible, and c) a car that can be tricked a bit to make it more fun as you have started doing.

I wonder what effect those coilovers would have on a 4S? I'll contact the folks from whom who purchased yours to see what they offer for the 4S.

Thanks for all the great responses here, because it is very helpful to listen and learn from those who have had the eperience.

I find it fascinating that Porsche owners actually drive their cars and trick them up, too.

Ferrari guys do little including driving them little!

Keep up the good work and let us know how those coilovers "age".

Old 11-18-2007, 11:41 AM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 997TT
I had really hoped to share and I would if I could. I'll ask him to reconsider next time I visit the shop. He specializes in setting up race suspensions and I suppose he considers his settings a trade secret. I realize we are not talking about competitive set ups in regards to my car but he did not want the specs published. It may sound fishy and I can respect that. Please don't shoot the messenger!
Quite possibly percieved as a liability issue by your installer.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:01 PM
PAT J. is just really nicePAT J. is just really nicePAT J. is just really nicePAT J. is just really nice
pss10

hey 997tt:
did you feel a difference in the drive after dropping it?

Old 11-29-2007, 11:02 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
I dropped my 997TT off at Cantrell Motorsport this morning to get the Damptronics installed along with the H&R adjustable swaybars and Tarett Engineering droplinks. Everything went smoothly except that they were not able to get the Tarett droplinks to fit with the front H&R swaybar because the endlinks does not stick out far enough and has a different shape. This in turn causes the droplinks to bind. They do work fine in the rear. For now, we decided to go with the H&R droplinks until they've had a chance to work things out with Tarett in getting their droplinks to work with my setup.

New toys!

Damptronic coilover

Rear Tarett droplink

Coilover with droplink

H&R rear swaybar

Couldn't resist taking a picture of the "turbo butt"

Coilovers with PCCB brakes

Look how well integrated the damptronic coilover is

Stock mounting cup. No fitting issues

H&R droplink up front

Last edited by atomic80; 11-29-2007 at 11:08 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:03 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Connector for the PASM in the rear

Installation has to be done from the inside too

Stock suspension components

Bose subwoofer

Under the Bose subwoofer

Massive rear RS wheel

3/4" inch lower ride height (might get lower once it settles)

Compared to stock ride height

After doing extensive research by talking to folks on here, with Porsche folks in the area, and the guys at Cantrell, it was determined that these alignment specs would suit my needs:

Front
Left camber: -1.0
Right camber: - 1.0
Left caster: 7.5
Right caster: 7.5
Left toe: 0.4mm
Right toe: 0.4mm

Rear
Left camber: -1.8
Right camber: -1.8
Left toe: 2.0mm
Right toe: 1.9mm

I pick the car up tomorrow and will let you guys know my driving impressions after I've had a chance to put her through the paces. Hopefully the weather cooperates. Stay tuned!

Last edited by atomic80; 12-03-2007 at 11:35 AM.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:21 PM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
The drop looks very nice!!! It definitely gives the car a more aggressive stance, and I bet you'll love the handling now!

Old 11-30-2007, 06:15 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
You are going to love the handling Jason

Old 11-30-2007, 06:45 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Bravo. She looks great! Thanks again for your business.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:50 AM
WildBill is infamous around these parts
Jason, the drop looks great. Nice photos and I love those GT3RS wheels on your TT. The RS wheels and sway bar may be my next project. Mine settled approx another quarter inch after a few drives and I don't have the popping sound anymore. My imports look identical to the US version but cost more due to the exchange rate. I think you are going to love the difference in handling and I look forward to reading your driving impressions.

Bill

Last edited by WildBill; 11-30-2007 at 08:06 AM.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:00 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Jason, i'm going to do a search on all 3 forums and find out how many times you said "I'm not lowering my car!!"

Seriously, looks great (as I knew it would) and I really don't think the lowering will be that big of a deal. I know mine is not. I think if you're going to scrape you would scrape stock, just not as much LOL.

I'm awaiting to hear all the reports to see if I should remove my TA springs and do this.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:05 AM
Chris, yeah yeah, I know I said that but I guess the potential handling improvements makes it worthwhile. I already bought a spare front lip for the day when the original lip gets all mangled up! It'll take some practice for me to get used to driving around with an additionally lowered car!

I definitely think you'll like making the upgrade and that's before I've even had a chance to try mine out! I was convinced by two factors. a) I drove a 997 GT3 and b) all these guys such as 997TT, ALPINE and eclou raving endlessly about the handling improvements! I guess you need a fourth or perhaps a fifth (HUMMM 3) confirmation before jumping the gun! Let me know if you'd like to do it since I can probably get you a good price on the PSS10s from Cantrell.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:48 AM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
Very Nice!!!!

Cannot wait to see it in person...

I think you should have left it in 4x4 mode and just bought a GT3 to go with it

Old 11-30-2007, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
Atomic - no problem at all. PM your email so I can send it to you when I find it.

Here are my specs from July before I asked for 0 toe and when it felt nervous to me around corners.

Fronts:

Camber(L): -1.1(degrees) Camber(R): -1.4(degrees)
Caster(L): 7.8(degrees) Caster(R): 7.8(degrees)
Toe(L): -0.04(degrees) Toe(R): -0.05(degrees)

Rears:
Camber(L): -2.0(degrees) Camber(R): -2.0(degrees)
Toe(L): .11(degrees) Toe(R): .11(degrees)

I hope that helps for the moment. I will get the other specs today. It could be at my office when I took in my other paperwork.
Interesting to note how different our alignment specs are.

Here's mine:

Front
Left camber: -1.0
Right camber: - 1.0
Left caster: 7.5
Right caster: 7.5
Left toe: 0.4mm
Right toe: 0.4mm

Rear
Left camber: -1.8
Right camber: -1.8
Left toe: 2.0mm
Right toe: 1.9mm

Yours have different camber numbers up front between left and right. You also have a slightly more aggressive caster angle too. Our toe is the same. In the rear, your camber angle is a bit more than mine too but my toe is more than yours.

Last edited by atomic80; 11-30-2007 at 11:00 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: FIRST MOD****PSS10 Coilovers Installed