997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

My Carrara White is yellowing!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 12:10 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by b911s
Alpine, I understand what your saying and agree with you. I have had other white cars in the past and have experienced the same thing, not a reason to change color just because of this. BTW, your car was what swayed me to the white especially when you added your new wheels, so thanks!
ot, but you gotta make it out to a couple of our meets sometime if your anywhere near philly!

Old 10-24-2007, 12:50 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by sechsgang
ot, but you gotta make it out to a couple of our meets sometime if your anywhere near philly!
Could we please keep this on TRACK j/k

Old 10-24-2007, 01:21 PM
avi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really nice
well, heres the other bad news..... my Venture Shield is starting to yellow too!! I had the entire front to the doors done (front bumper, fenders, hood, rocker panels and rear apron). all done by Premier for a pretty penny!! the area behind the front wheel wells is also showing this yellowing!!! the funny thing is that I was recently told that in the "fine print" of the guarantee from venture shield it says that the "guarantee" does not apply to white cars. I'll post pics on Friday if I can.

this sucks!

Old 10-24-2007, 01:25 PM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
David, mine was done by Premier too. I don't think it's even been half a year and the Ventureshield is definitely yellowing. I'll take pictures later.

Originally Posted by avi8tir
well, heres the other bad news..... my Venture Shield is starting to yellow too!! I had the entire front to the doors done (front bumper, fenders, hood, rocker panels and rear apron). all done by Premier for a pretty penny!! the area behind the front wheel wells is also showing this yellowing!!! the funny thing is that I was recently told that in the "fine print" of the guarantee from venture shield it says that the "guarantee" does not apply to white cars. I'll post pics on Friday if I can.

this sucks!

Old 10-24-2007, 01:30 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by b911s
My only suggestion if they can solve the problem for you is after it is finished get the inner fender lip clear film kit that is made by Xpel or another clear bra manufactuer but as mentioned above DO NOT use 3M film, it's horrible and will yellow bad.
I've had 3m film on my car for quite some time now. It looks exactly like the day it was installed. Maybe it's something you're using on your film to clean it.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:32 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
That's too bad. When I was debating what color I would order white was right at the top until I read somewhere that some of the plastic (bumper) would turn a different color vs. the metal portion of the car.

I called a member here who had a white launch TT and asked if there was any truth to this. he said yes, and his car had started to exhibit this but was really tough to see.

Knowing the way I am I knew I'd freak if I saw this happening to my car no matter how hard I had to stare to see it. If I knew it was there it would drive me nuts so decided against white.

Old 10-24-2007, 03:17 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
Could we please keep this on TRACK j/k
GARSH

Old 10-24-2007, 05:13 PM
b911s is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by deputydog95
I've had 3m film on my car for quite some time now. It looks exactly like the day it was installed. Maybe it's something you're using on your film to clean it.

Dog, I was in the film business for 3 years and have had experience with every film out there. Actually one of the reasons i sold the business was because none of these films were actually perfect and didnt have issues. I dont know how long the 3M film has been on your car, how many miles you have on it and if it is garage kept, but the 3M was one of the worst films on the market and I refused to use it in my company at the time because of yellowing issues amd frankley it installs horribly. The reason that the 3M yellowed so bad is because it actually had an additional 2mil clear coat protectant on it much like your cars clear coat. This had a very bad tendency to yellow when exposed to the elements. If your car is a more of a weekend play toy it is going to take much longer for this to show up. Cars that are used on a daily basis and had the 3M showed signs of yellowing in a very short period. Now most all the other manufactures of film like, Venture, Avery, Bekert etc. didnt use a clear coat until recently and theirs really isnt a clear coat its more of a top coat protectant. These films also discolor as a few people mentioned here and actually their film isnt yellowing its browning from sucking up dirt, road grime and emissions because these films are an open pored type urethane. Now 3M has supposedly address this issue with a new film release last year, if they did ever release it, but before that the 3M was always bad. Most top installers that are really car guys and didnt just get in the business to make a buck almost never use 3M because of these issues. But one thing is for sure there isnt one perfect film out there, they all have issues. BTW, if you do want to clean and protect your film the best cleaner we found was Plexus. Its a great product that was developed for plastics and urethane's. But hey, what do i know. BTW, this wasnt ment to start a film debate, just responding to your post and providing some info for everyone.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:26 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
My film has been on my car for a couple years now. The fit was fine and the install looks great. However, my car is a weekend toy that is garaged when not in use. It is exposed to some pretty tough heat and light conditions in Florida though when it's out of the garage. Maybe I got lucky, or maybe it's just a matter of time before mine goes bad too So far I'm really happy with the product.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:45 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
So even the vaunted, over hyped ventureshield yellows? Sounds like they all do it.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:53 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
I have 1yr old 3M on my car. No issues, though it is hard yellowing on a red car

Old 10-24-2007, 09:21 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
I've had Ventureshield on my car for nearly a year and there's no evidence of it yellowing. I'm surprised to hear that it's yellowing on your car, Aaron.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:29 PM
gradyex is infamous around these partsgradyex is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by aaronchanfilms
Hey Dave, sorry to hear about your car. That sucks.

As for the ventureshield, I have it on my car and I will tell you it is definitely not yellowing as bad as the 3M wrap ive seen, but it IS yellowing and I am not thrilled about that.

Make sure you are not waxing/polishing the ventureshield with any type of waxes that contain yellow dyes. Also using Plexus plastic cleaner and protectant is a great alternative to waxing (but it is not mandatory). Plexus comes in a spray can and leaves the ventureshield clean and protected. I follow this with an occasional coat of P21S Carnauba wax (does not contain any dyes). The 3m wrap I had on my 2005 997S was yellowed in just 1 year and I had arctic silver not white! I must confess that I did use waxes with yellow dyes on the 3M product as no one advised me otherwise. My turbo is 6 months old and so far so good (keeping my fingers crossed). Just my .02

Last edited by gradyex; 10-24-2007 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:41 PM
avi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really nice
the only wax I have used is Zymol, which was specifically recommended by Premier. This past weekend I Zymol'd the sh*t out of the clear bra hoping it would remove the yellowing. no such luck.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:15 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by deputydog95
My film has been on my car for a couple years now. The fit was fine and the install looks great. However, my car is a weekend toy that is garaged when not in use. It is exposed to some pretty tough heat and light conditions in Florida though when it's out of the garage. Maybe I got lucky, or maybe it's just a matter of time before mine goes bad too So far I'm really happy with the product.
You forget to mention that your car is yellow..
I never noticed any yellowing of the 3M done on my yellow GT2 until the day I pulled it off to respray the front bumper.
Guys you can't see the yellowing if your car is not white.

Last edited by vincentdds; 10-25-2007 at 05:22 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Carrara White is yellowing!!!!