997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

My Carrara White is yellowing!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 09:17 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Being that my car is yellow certainly doesn't hurt I still haven't see a change in hue between where the paint ends and the CB begins. I guess if it is and I can't see it, then it doesn't matter I'll take yellowing over missing chunks of paint any day.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:08 AM
JimGT3 is a jewel in the roughJimGT3 is a jewel in the roughJimGT3 is a jewel in the roughJimGT3 is a jewel in the rough
had mine done for over 16 mos. and nothing like that is happening. I have CW and AS also with Ventureshield. Might be possible it's something you guys are using that's doi'n it. I do remember brigning it to my SA for the exact same reason on the factory paint right behind the front tires. It turned out that I was using too much tire shine and that got kicked up in there and discolored the clearcoat on my paint.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:00 AM
avi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really nice
Originally Posted by JimGT3
It turned out that I was using too much tire shine and that got kicked up in there and discolored the clearcoat on my paint.
funny that you mention this. but I notice that after I wash my car some of the "tire shine" also gets kicked up. sometimes I dont wash it off immediately. however, I couldnt imagine that this would cause this much yellowing. either way, I'll make sure that I dont let any stay on there anymore, just as a precaution.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:00 AM
JimGT3 is a jewel in the roughJimGT3 is a jewel in the roughJimGT3 is a jewel in the roughJimGT3 is a jewel in the rough
it took 4 trips back to the dealership to figure this out for me on my CW. And this is not on the bra and actually on the same area that the OP is talking about. It's on the textured area that's by my door sills. Since then I stopped using (or used less) tire shine. From time to time, I still see road tar marring my paint, but oh well. I guess Porsche designed it this way for a reason?????

Old 10-29-2007, 10:27 AM
tsmithmdtx is infamous around these parts
This is the exact reason I didn't buy a white 997S I was looking at in Dallas. My wife noticed the yellow discoloration before I did. Once she pointed it out I couldn't get it out of my head and it became a deal braker. I think it happedn to all the films but just more noticeable with white.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:13 PM
KINGS POWER is infamous around these partsKINGS POWER is infamous around these parts
I would check out this site. This guy Richard knows what he's talking about, he's worked on various cars for me, and really knows his stuff. http://www.showcardetailing.com/

Old 10-30-2007, 03:57 PM
wasuki is infamous around these parts
I would perform clear bra on it and replace it

Old 10-31-2007, 11:31 AM
I was told by my dealer that repainting the area would help, but it will probably come back after several thousand miles. I just said heck with it.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:52 PM
DynamicMotoring is infamous around these parts
Clearcoat yellowing can be caused by the clear being too thin. In that specific area, it wouldnt surprise me if it was sprayed a little too thin, and now its finally showing.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:21 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
The yellowing is normal guys. If you're talking about the textured paint that goes at the bottom of the doors all the way to the wheel well. This is due to the paint getting dried out and light oxidation. It's more evident on white cars. The remedy is simple; polish. Once your polish the area, wax it and you'll be set for months. If you're talking about the clear paint protection that's factory, well that the old 3M technology. A good film guy can remove and replace the film with a more modern and updated film that has a clear coat. Film from VentureShield and 3M Aerospace would be the better of them all. Hope this helps.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:54 AM
ALTAADAM007 is infamous around these parts
One other thing that I would like to mention but certainly not an expert on. Does any of this involve the paint out gassing not being complete before applying the 3m or similar (or a tar like substance, asphalt or similar) that locks in the gas. Then the gas actually causes the yellowing? I know SOME paint facilities do NOT recommend covering "fresh" paint with anything. My personal experience with this was NOT on a p car, but I waxed the car almost immediately after purchase and the build date was only a few weeks earlier. Within a few weeks the paint became cloudy and yellowed. Ended up having to re-paint the entire car (I got the mfr to cover it, but it was "clearly" my fault according to them.)

Again my two cents.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:02 PM
CayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really nice
My car is always kicking up dirt and when i remove the dirt by the wheel wells it leaves yellow marks that are very difficult to remove. Anyone know what this is and the best way to clean it?

Old 12-04-2007, 12:10 PM
GEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of light
I use dry washnguard to remove tar and road crap, plexus twice a month on my full Venturesheild

They used expel patterns, & venturesheild film..

I have a spotless water system for rinse , this saves alot of time
CRspotless.com

Gee-Bee

Old 12-04-2007, 12:13 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
i've seen quite few white 997 turning yellow-ish on the texture part. i got one here actually. that sucks.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:45 PM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
I recently had a clearbra installed by Premier on a white cayman. They encouraged using Green or Pink wax or polish, and to never use yellow wax. They also highly recommended Rejex.

I'll be watching out for the yellowing, but so far so good.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Carrara White is yellowing!!!!