997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

My Carrara White is yellowing!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 07:54 PM
gretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by atomic80
Greta,

I don't think you'd have to worry about Ventureshield yellowing on you. I'll introduce you to the installer so you can talk to him about it. He's a friend of mine too.
Did you see what Prfctnst wrote above? He said they all yellow on white. Before I do this, I am going to want to see one that has been done and has been on for awhile. Would appreciate your friend's contact information. Thanks again and again and again Jason!

Old 12-07-2007, 08:08 PM
tblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond repute
Greta,
I have a white one due in next week and I am not going to put the clear bra on. I think it depends on how long you are going to keep the car. I have had 2 other white vehicles with the clear bra and both discolored to some degree. I always caught myself staring at it everytime I cleaned the car and it just bothered me more and more. Yes, I am one of those **** guys and some of my friends would look at it and they would say it doesn't look different but I knew it had changed color and it killed me. I know technology has improved the material but I plan on keeping this car for a while and I don't want to have to replace it at some point. My .02.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:16 PM
gretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks. This will be my third white Porsche also and I have never had it on any of mine. I also have no yellowing problems. Are you going to take off the stuff the factory puts on by the wheel wells? I am. I really appreciate your input.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by tblountman
Greta,
I have a white one due in next week and I am not going to put the clear bra on. I think it depends on how long you are going to keep the car. I have had 2 other white vehicles with the clear bra and both discolored to some degree. I always caught myself staring at it everytime I cleaned the car and it just bothered me more and more. Yes, I am one of those **** guys and some of my friends would look at it and they would say it doesn't look different but I knew it had changed color and it killed me. I know technology has improved the material but I plan on keeping this car for a while and I don't want to have to replace it at some point. My .02.
PS: wrote you message below, but forgot to say CONGRATULATIONS! Merry Christmas to you (or whatever you celebrate). Be sure to post some pics! I have to wait til late March - it is killing me!

Old 12-07-2007, 08:43 PM
tblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond repute
I haven't decided what to do about the factory film yet. Since it's a small area I may just let it go for now and as soon as it looks the least bit different I will yank it off. Thanks and Merry Christmas as well. I will post pics soon. I already have stuff sitting in the garage waiting on its arrival ie: exhaust, tips, clear markers, front spoiler lip, silver logo for front and so many other things I am reading on this freakin' forum everyday that I have to have. It's consuming, but damn its fun. What a disease.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:13 AM
Former Vendor
PRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant future
Lower areas of Porsche tend to get chiped when driving the car even at 10MPH, the tires pick up so much that after a while the areas behind the wheels and in front of the rear wheel (also called shark fin) start to look like they been sand blasted. I sugest not to remove the piece that comes from the factory on the shark fin area (they must've put it there for a reason ). Installation of a new piece there and the wheel wells area behind the front and rear wheels is really much cheaper then to repaint those entire panels, even if you replace the film once a year.

Old 12-08-2007, 03:48 PM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
I've never clear bra'd any of my BMWs, and honestly I cant say that I regret it. I only got one real scratch on my hood on the M5, which I doubt the clear bra would have saved me from, and there really havent been too many of those small dings either.

But overall Im not a super details oriented guy, so I'll probably just stick with whatever it is right from my dealership.

Plus if I need to repaint, at least its white, much easier than my current Interlagos Blue M5.

Originally Posted by gretapass
Nice options! What are you going to do about this clear bra stuff? Are you putting any on your white car. I am starting to lean towards not doing it like my current car. I really don't want yellowing or lines showing as a result of a product during wash or wax. Hmmm.