997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

My Carrara White is yellowing!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 10:05 PM
avi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really nice
My Carrara White is yellowing!!!!

I washed and detailed my car this weekend and I noticed that the areas in the wheel wells that come "textured" from the factory are starting to stain yellow. by yellow I mean dingy yellow, like smokers teeth yellow.

I live in a relatively new area with asphalt streets. I have no doubt that this is the cause but I really dont think this should be happening on my car considering it only has 3000 miles on it!! sorry, I dont have pics as I am out of town.

any thoughts?

Old 10-23-2007, 10:49 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Yep, that's 3M for you. I would suggest that you get the clear bra material in that area replaced with VentureShield instead. If you had the dealership replace it for you under warranty then they'd just use 3M material again which will almost certainly turn yellow again.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:06 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Atomic,

He doesn't mean the 3M clear guard that is in a triangular shape near the rear of door/rear quarter area. He means in the wheel wells by the fender liner. Mine is starting to yellow as well. I am placing a call into my dealer about that. I can't seem to remove it and I have tried a compound and it won't go away.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:10 AM
bumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond repute
Can you verify that it's in the paint and not the clear that's yellowing?

Old 10-24-2007, 09:10 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Oh wow....can't believe that's happening to you guys. Thanks for pointing that out, Alpine.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:24 AM
IXIXVII is infamous around these parts
Are you talking about the painted rockers?

Old 10-24-2007, 09:27 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
fwiw, I would take the pic of you ON the track off untill you get this done...I dont know how your dealership is but Im sure that there are those who would try to screw you over...as a repaint is not a small task...haha

It may be WAY overthinking it but, better safe than broke...or well, dented...

Old 10-24-2007, 09:28 AM
.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold
it happened to my GTI as well. I haven't closely inspected the R32 but I think it's something we have to put up with

Old 10-24-2007, 09:46 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
I think it's the clear or lack thereof. Since it's on the bottom side I think there maybe a lack of clear that went there due to the location area. Just spoke to my SA at the dealership and he said they would clay bar it, detail it and try to remove it first and plan B if that doesn't work. Plan B = repainting that area. I hope we stick to Plan A. I will let you guys know. I hope to have this looked at Friday afternoon. They are really cool SA's.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:48 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
I had that area Venture shield so tarts can be wipe right off.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:49 AM
b911s is infamous around these parts
Man that really sucks! I just placed an order for a new turbo and white was going to be my choice, this may throw a wrench in my decesion depending on what you guys come up with. I do have time to change my mind though it's an april build. My only suggestion if they can solve the problem for you is after it is finished get the inner fender lip clear film kit that is made by Xpel or another clear bra manufactuer but as mentioned above DO NOT use 3M film, it's horrible and will yellow bad. I did this on my current black 997s to save these areas from stone chips but i believe this would also take care of any future issues for you with this problem because the clear bra material would soak up the road tar solvents instead of the clear coat of the paint, which to me is what it sounds like is happening. And obviously i would rather just replace a few strips of material than have to get the bumper repainted. Keep us up to date.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:57 AM
B911's - I would not worry about the C. White in regards to the overall paint - it is just that area. You can't really notice it until you wipe down the wheel well areas and then you can start to see it some. walking up to it you won't notice it at all.

I definately will update to the solution they come up with.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:16 AM
b911s is infamous around these parts
Alpine, I understand what your saying and agree with you. I have had other white cars in the past and have experienced the same thing, not a reason to change color just because of this. BTW, your car was what swayed me to the white especially when you added your new wheels, so thanks!

Old 10-24-2007, 11:15 AM
B911s' - Glad I could help you get swayed to the C. White The wheels has really made me appreciate the lines of the Turbo even more.

I have an appointment with the dealership on Friday afternoon so the answer to come up shortly about the yellowing.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:41 AM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
Hey Dave, sorry to hear about your car. That sucks.

As for the ventureshield, I have it on my car and I will tell you it is definitely not yellowing as bad as the 3M wrap ive seen, but it IS yellowing and I am not thrilled about that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Carrara White is yellowing!!!!