997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

6SpeedOnline Expertise vs. Porsche Salesperson

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 08:18 AM
BASY951 is infamous around these parts
6SpeedOnline Expertise vs. Porsche Salesperson

Hi everyone,

I would like to introduce myself. For several years I have been waiting for the day when I could join this forum. After owning an E39 M5, E46 M3 and now a Z4MCoupe, I am ready to leave the BMW ship and switch over to Porsche Stardom.

I was at a Porsche Dealership in Downtown Toronto yesterday, geared up with some research I had undertaken the night before in the 997 Turbo forum.

I asked the Porsche salesman, Neil Guerin @ Downtown Porsche a few questions, to which I feel I didn't get satisfactory responses. The questions pertained to:

1. The availability of the X50 Package
2. The availability of the new GT2 C/F Reclinable Seats in North American vehicles.
3. Whether MY2009 vehicles will come with an updated face and rear lift, and the availability of Direct Injection.

Essentially, I felt he was pushing me for a sale. His arguements centred solely on that 2009 models will not be any different than the 2008 models and that if I want a vehicle for European delivery for July 2008, then I should order the vehicle NOW.

The Turbo has always been my dream car and the last thing I want to do is order an 08 model then regretting it later for the changes that are coming in 09.

If anyone can provide educated guesses, info from reliable sources, etc. pertaining to these issues it would be greatly appreciated.

Look forward to being a long-time member of this board,

Regards,
Aly Damji

Old 11-07-2007, 08:42 AM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
You are in the right place meaning 6speedonline. Obviously he wants to sell you a car today and is not the right guy for you. A good salesman will appreciate your concerns and bend over backwards to get the info for you or answer that he honestly does not know or the info isn't available.

I would trust the opinions of the guys here and of the sponsors long before those of a salesman at most Porsche stores.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:50 AM
Cheers to that.
My cousin purchased a 997C4S from him - so I felt obligated to talk to his salesperson before anything.

But I could smell his cheap cologne, fake jewelery and snake oil from a mile away. It was reaffirmed when he told me to order a car 8 and a half months from delivery date.

Thanks for the message and reiterating the quality of posts on 6SpeedOnline

Old 11-07-2007, 09:29 AM
raclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to behold
I actually had to give my dealer the order numbers for the thicker MF steering wheel as they were convinced it was not an option. Without question the folks here know 100,000 times more about the cars. We are enthusiasts and they are selling a product...very different.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:56 AM
OCPorsche is infamous around these parts
I completely understand where both of you are coming from.

Look at this from both perspectives. Me, being a Porsche salesperson, can understand where this guy is coming from (to an extent). His job is to know the product and be able to sell it. It ALWAYS happens that customers that are on forums like this always know what is going to happen next before the sales people. People have been talking for years about the PDK transmission, direct fuel injection and what not. We do not know when these are coming until Porsche tells us. People were talking about the "new transmission" when the 996s were going to come out ... and yet we are still waiting. I think we are very close to them releasing it but until then we can not be telling the customer something wrong and leading them into false purchases just to disappoint them and leave the dealership and never to come back.

I understand this guy you experienced probably was not the most knowledgeable sales person and it ruins the Porsche experience as well as lessens the Porsche brand in general. I am sorry your experience was not the most memorable.

As to ordering cars, Porsche tells us what we can order. Since they are a very limited production vehicle they limit the number of cars each dealership gets. Once Porsche gives us a car we can option it out any way we like but sometimes we might not have a car to order for a few months out which sometimes leads to a much longer wait time for a specific car. It also does not help that Porsche decreased the production of 2008s by about 20%. Unlike the 996s they want the 997 to have a higher residual value and not find as many of them out there. Keep it more of an affordable exotic and not something you will find on every corner.

As to answer your questions;

1- There is no X50 package for the 997 Turbo (yet as well as I know). They had it available on the 996 Turbos but when they added the VTG and the over boost function (I don't want to say the X50 is not needed) but it makes a world of difference when your driving it, as many people on this forum can vouch for me. You could think of the Sport Chrono on the turbo as the X50 because of the 45 extra ft. lb. of torque.

2- Porsche released that cars after January production will have the carbon fiber folding seats available as an option. It might be delayed slightly longer but anything built after January/February should have them available.

3- Nobody knows if the 2009 model will have the direct fuel injection or the PDK for sure until Porsche releases it. There is a very good chance that they will add these new features to the car but again we don't know for sure until Porsche tells us.

A 911 Turbo is well worth the wait. I am sure EVERYONE on this forum would agree with me. You have waited this long for the car, order the car to your exact specification. Lord knows the ordering guide for the 2008 Turbo is 30 pages long. You can get exactly what you want and you will be more happy when the car comes in and there is no other car like yours. Its what Porsche does best.

I have never done a European delivery YET so I can not comment on that. I can send you over all our information on the process but it does take a few months for them to process the information and build the car.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask. Me as well as others in the forum only want to help and make the best Porsche experience for everyone

GOOD LUCK!

Old 11-07-2007, 11:00 AM
Awesome, thanks so much OCPorsche.
This is the exact type of info I need.

Wish YOU were located at Downtown Porsche in Toronto!

Old 11-07-2007, 11:09 AM
No problem If you have any other questions post them up here or send me a message

Old 11-07-2007, 11:13 AM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
Thanks OCPorsche. That is exactly what I was talking about.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:29 AM
Hi OCPorsche,

Tried to send you a PM but I was restricted because of my post count.

Would you be able to send me info on the Euro Delivery to adamji@rogers.blackberry.net

Also, is the price of ED added to the value of the car like all other options and therefore amortized over the life of the financing/leasing agreement OR is the cost of ED required upfront before one takes delivery of the vehicle?

Thanks,
AD

Old 11-07-2007, 11:54 AM
European delivery is an option and depending on the car is anywhere from $2,000-$5,000 which is added to the price of the car. Porsche's ED is not like other companies. You also have to pay a VAT (Value Added Tax) which is a great sum of $ but you get it back when your car lands back at the dealership. Has something to do with German taxes. I cant copy and paste information to your e-mail because Porsche has it as a copywrited file and it wont let me.

If you go to http://www.porsche.com/canada and go to the "Personalization & Service" logo there will be a European Delivery icon. Go to that and it will give you the correct information for Canadian ED.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:55 AM
The car also has to be paid in full a month before you pick it up if I am correct

Old 11-07-2007, 12:06 PM
Therefore, with this requirement (payment in full), leased vehicles are ineligible for ED?

Old 11-07-2007, 12:35 PM
We can lease ED cars here. Check with your dealership up there just to be sure if they have any other limitations.