997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Question: RUF 600hp kit for 997 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 04:38 AM
Erik has a spectacular aura aboutErik has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by bbywu
I find that people make that comment as often as "Porsche always understates their HP ratings." But when we actually dyno the cars...the reported ratings are right on.
In the Porsche case, it used to be (always) true.

But I know that a few of 997 Carreras don't reach the hp that's been promised.

Old 11-10-2007, 04:42 AM
Cool

Originally Posted by Mike/A.W.E.
From our experience dynoing MANY Ruf set ups, they are simply VERY conservative. We have dynoed cars (on the same days) with similar hardware
We do not have RUF’s boost specs, so cannot comment here.
I understand you don't have Ruf's boost specs, but IMO these comments contradict each other. Did you or did you not do extensive testing?

I have the specification of a Ruf car, and it's actual dyno in front of me.
This information also contradicts what you are writing. And no, the dyno isn't less than the specification.
All the Rt12s on the forum have been pushing over 700 hp AFAIK.

And when it comes to a car like the Yellowbird, 469 hp is no way near the real thing. I actually have another dyno of a Yellowbird in front of me I was a bit surprised when I first saw it but it explains why it was one of the fastest cars on the road 20 years ago, and still is.

But what I really like about Ruf is the driveability, it feels like the real thing, just as if Porsche had done it, and not a tuned car.

And the Ruf name adds to the value. At least in this market and I find it difficult that it would be any different elsewhere.

In any case, thanks for a very interesting thread.

Old 11-10-2007, 05:11 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
An AWD RT12 and an EVO610 have both been run at the Texas Mile ( where the RT12 was slower by a couple of mph ) which is the only real world head to head comparo that I know of. This will be repeated again in March, when I am certain there will be 2 RT12's this time, as well as more tuned 997TT's to run as well.

Jean you are correct that durability testing has been limited so far in the tuned TT's, but the kits have only been available about 14+ months (car has only been available 17+ months) and we are simply the only ones to compile any data. I have almost 7k miles now since I added my mods, and besides the inadequacy of the clutch (an item that I believe should be addressed when considering these mods) I have seen no issues to date. I don't know what the future holds, but I try to stay on the good side of my Porsche service techs!!

Old 11-10-2007, 06:55 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Erik
I understand you don't have Ruf's boost specs, but IMO these comments contradict each other. Did you or did you not do extensive testing?
Allow me to clarify.

Our Ruf testing and experience comes from 996TT's and previous generation Ruf cars. We have yet to test a 997TT of theirs.

But what I really like about Ruf is the driveability, it feels like the real thing, just as if Porsche had done it, and not a tuned car.
Honestly, at the power levels their packages are tuned for, it's not that difficult to maintain stock driveability.

Driveability begins to suffer when trying to maximize every last ounce of HP and TQ. The components needed to maintain the same level of comfort must be changed in order to handle the increases.

In any case, thanks for a very interesting thread.
Thanks for stopping by.

Old 11-10-2007, 06:57 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 6088TTS
Mike can you give me a ball park of how much the entire 700hp kit will cost? (Header, Exhaust, Program, Turbo etc.) And if I am "in a rush" could i send you my stock turbos and get it modified? and purchase another set of stock turbos before i get rid of the car. Thanks alot sir in advance!
Not a problem. I will update you Monday when I am back in the office.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:59 AM
Allow me to clarify.
Our Ruf testing and experience comes from 996TT's and previous generation Ruf cars. We have yet to test a 997TT of theirs.
I understood we were discussing the 996TT, so it's not really a reply to my question.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:41 AM
Paris_CarreraS is a jewel in the roughParis_CarreraS is a jewel in the roughParis_CarreraS is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Ruf always underestimates power. I assure you the Ruf conversion will be superior to the evo in every way, with all do respect to evoms. The Ruf name will actually add to the value of the car imo, where most tuner jobs kill resale. I believe the Rturbo conversion is available now.
But for a lot less, the Ruf 550 package is a relative bargain at 20k.
+1.......

Old 11-10-2007, 09:31 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
I never expect to recoup any of my mod costs on any vehicle...however, when I decide to go to the next stage on my 997 TT I'll go with RUF. I had a great experience with their products and service with the supercharger install on my 997 and that quality plus the warranty will make me a repeat customer. There's something to be said about an integrated upgrade - RUF engineered parts, software, etc....not that AWE exhaust components, GIAC tuning, etc. tested and offered by AWE aren't as good as RUF, but I'd rather have Pfaffenhausen designed and tested components rather than hardware designed in PA and software developed in CA - but that's my preference. We each make our decisions based on many factors - these are mine.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:33 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
....And no, the dyno isn't less than the specification.
All the Rt12s on the forum have been pushing over 700 hp AFAIK.

And when it comes to a car like the Yellowbird, 469 hp is no way near the real thing. I actually have another dyno of a Yellowbird in front of me I was a bit surprised when I first saw it but it explains why it was one of the fastest cars on the road 20 years ago, and still is..
Erik,

The RUF Rt12 does not have more than 650HP on RUF's engine dyno, it does on other chassis dynos maybe, which does not make it true. Porsche cars the same.

As far as the Yellowbird, its power ratings have been reported at around 550BHP, but that's with the manual boost controller dialled beyond 1.3Bar, the official rating of 469BHP was made at 1.1 bar.

The reason it was so fast was certainly its great engine back at the time, but mainly its fantastic aerodynamics and overall build (This is where RUF rocks). There were a couple out there that were a bit faster in fact, but not mediatized, I have the test.

Eclou, the Texas Mile that beat the Rt12 had a 690R not a 610 upgrade if I am not mistaken? However this is in line with what we are saying that RUF might not build the fastest cars out there but we know the reason, lower boost, warranty, and longevity, they are not interested in extracting the last bit of HP from these engines, just the last bit of HP that can be under warranty and take as much abuse as you can give it for 50k miles

Old 11-10-2007, 11:25 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
My mistake, yes it was the 690R kit. They had also removed the mirrors and extensively taped the body seams which the RT12 did not do before. No doubt about it, RUF mods tend to add resale vs non-RUF mods which tend to diminish resale. This is very evident in the 993tt realm!

Old 11-10-2007, 11:31 AM
Phoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant future
Great thread. Thank you, gentlemen.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:16 PM
6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by eclou
My mistake, yes it was the 690R kit. They had also removed the mirrors and extensively taped the body seams which the RT12 did not do before. No doubt about it, RUF mods tend to add resale vs non-RUF mods which tend to diminish resale. This is very evident in the 993tt realm!
I'd also like to add, which version of the Rt12 ran? There is 550, 570, 650 versions all with awd or rwd configurations. Can some one please confirm this please

Old 11-10-2007, 12:30 PM
Bentley is infamous around these parts
The re-sale factor reveals an inherent desire of 'wannabees' to act as though they are driving Rufs from Germany rather than mere after- the- fact mods.
The "champagne taste", "beer" pocketbook is alive and well with the pretenders to the throne. Does Bugatti, Ferrari, Lamborghini, or Aston Martin offer such add-ons? The kits merely de-value the genuine total vehicle. What vehicle sales has Alois lost to the aformentioned vehicle manufacturers, who do not compromise their creations. Many think this was a bad marketing decision by him. Now that he has contractually tied himself to the middle east business interests perhaps he can sell additional vehicles, rather than component parts,to those with real money.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:43 PM
6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Bentley
The re-sale factor reveals an inherent desire of 'wannabees' to act as though they are driving Rufs from Germany rather than mere after- the- fact mods.
The "champagne taste", "beer" pocketbook is alive and well with the pretenders to the throne. Does Bugatti, Ferrari, Lamborghini, or Aston Martin offer such add-ons? The kits merely de-value the genuine total vehicle. What vehicle sales has Alois lost to the aformentioned vehicle manufacturers, who do not compromise their creations. Many think this was a bad marketing decision by him. Now that he has contractually tied himself to the middle east business interests perhaps he can sell additional vehicles, rather than component parts,to those with real money.
I don't understand what you are trying to say. Whats real money whats fake money?

Old 11-10-2007, 12:51 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Do I sense elitism here? To suggest that I'm a wannabee because I drove a RUF modified 996 Turbo shows shortsightedness and symptoms of an inferiority complex (or is that a superiority complex?!?.)

The "champagne taste", "beer" pocketbook is alive and well with the pretenders to the throne.
I have no idea what you said here...I'm too eating my beer and brats.

Does Bugatti, Ferrari, Lamborghini, or Aston Martin offer such add-ons?
Why yes. They are called Edo Competition, Hamann, Novitec, Mansory, Prodrive...do you want me to go on?

The kits merely de-value the genuine total vehicle. What vehicle sales has Alois lost to the aformentioned vehicle manufacturers, who do not compromise their creations. Many think this was a bad marketing decision by him. Now that he has contractually tied himself to the middle east business interests perhaps he can sell additional vehicles, rather than component parts,to those with real money.
See paragraph #1.

Last edited by bbywu; 11-10-2007 at 01:07 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question: RUF 600hp kit for 997 Turbo